Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Referb fob

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts
Default Referb fob

In the continuing updates on my '06 X-Type, I refurbished the original key fob. Have two new ones as spares to go with it though. It was getting very hard to push the buttons and getting it to work so I decided to see what I could do with it. First I ordered a new rubber button cover from eBay really cheap and got a new battery for it. When I opened it up I found the buttons on the PC board were covered in a green goo. I got some Q-tips and denatured alcohol and cleaned them thoroughly. Saturated the PC buttons with the alcohol and used canned air to rinse them out. I repeated this multiple times. Also found one of the buttons had come loose. Not from the PC board, but just came apart in two pieces. The top part was crimped on two sides to hold it together. One of the crimps had broken off. Get out the trusty Bondic! I love this stuff!! It stays a liquid until it is hit with a black light and then hardens in 4-6 seconds. I hooked one side of the crimped piece to the bottom of the switch and then held the switch together. I dabbed a drop of Bondic on the right side of the lower left switch as seen in the photo – Green arrow. Zapped it with the little LED black light and it was instantly adhered to the PC board and held in place.

When I reassembled the fob it worked fine, but it seemed that I had to really press the button hard to get them to click for contact. Upon reexamining them it looked as though the buttons on the PC switches were worn down some, even though they are metal. Get out the trusty Bondic! I put a dab of the Bondic on the top of the switch button a little at a time setting it with the LED after each application - Red arrow. I built them up higher than they should be so I could sand the top of them flat as was the top of the buttons originally. Reassembled it and now it works as good as new or better.

Last edited by hlgeorge; 04-17-2016 at 06:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
swingwing (05-27-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 06:23 PM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Useful advice. Recently bought an '04 X-Type and the Unlock button on one of the key fobs wasn't working (all three other buttons were). When I took the fob apart I found that the microswitch under the Unlock button was worn down, and came apart while I fiddled with it. Went to a local locksmith and was told answer is a replacement fob from the dealer. Will attempt a repair with your advice above. Thanks.

Last edited by swingwing; 05-27-2016 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Changed wording.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:14 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi, in UK there are quite a few folk who re-switch these for quite a modest fee, I would be extremely surprised if you don't have them as well, DON'T go near a dealer, they'll want your soul in exchange. Martin.