X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace knock sensor and spark plugs project with pics (as requested) HOW TO

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 07:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have a bad knock sensor would the gearbox fault message come up?

Old 11-21-2011, 09:50 AM
Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by dalecan
That's an awesome write-up, thanks. Those spark plugs are different thought, with different thread lengths. Are these correct?
Yes, these are the suggested double-platinum replacement plugs. Overall depth from the seal area/ridge to the ignition point is the same from what I measured, so you should still have great performance with the new plug. My X-type is running great.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:50 AM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Blaysdes99--
great write up with the pics I enjoy reading about good fixes. Thanks.I did my plugs the second time in 1/2 the time as the first. Question; what was the deal with the different length threads on the plugs?

Old 11-22-2011, 10:33 AM

You guys are all dying to know about the threads on these plugs In essence, what is going on is the following if you look at the pic below:

The original plugs are OEM so they are threaded in line with the actual threading in the spark plug receptacle. As the replacement plugs are not Jaguar only plugs, the threads are longer to accomodate different engines. It still works great for the X-Type though, as you can see it still makes contact at the seal ridge and meets the same overall depth. The fact that some threads are not used doesn't matter in the end because the spark plug hole is wide enough at that point not to make contact.

Let me know if I didn't make enough sense yet, but rest assured that you will be ok using plugs like this.

Attached Thumbnails Replace knock sensor and spark plugs project with pics (as requested) HOW TO-plugs.jpg  

Last edited by blaydes99; 11-22-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Finaly got all my parts, new sensor installed not without some problems, when replacing the intake I broke a hard plastic line which runs underneath it, repaired it with a couple of heat shrinks. Also stripped an intake bolt with my big monkey guitar playing hands using a 1/4" stubby ratchet holding it over the extension, not even at the end, be careful of those little bolts. While removing the coolant pipe I noticed the o ring dried and loose on the end that attatches to the el on the engine and a lot of old gummy coolant laying around the knock sensor, replaced the o ring. Expecting a problem with the stripped bolt I went on and finished the job. Cranked her up no leaks runs great, put new plugs in while I had the manifold off.......I'll get the broken/stripped bolt removed at work this next week in the machine shop, thank god its the one on the drivers side at the front. Thanks to all for the info and help with this job, Changed my oil and rotated my tires while she was off the ground total time 6 hours...

Old 12-31-2011, 12:01 PM

Your post was helpful. I am in the process of replacing the knock sensor but also want to replace the seals associated with the coolonat pipe that was removed as well as the seal on the housing that you could only remove the one bolt. My neerest jaguar dealer is 70 miles away. Do you know where on line I can find these seals?

Old 01-01-2012, 01:22 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Delete. Just saw my question was answered in the initial post.

Last edited by 04Xtype; 01-01-2012 at 01:24 AM.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:15 PM
Default Thanks

I want to thank Blaydes99 for all the pictures and description of the replacement of the knock sensor and the gaskets it saved me a ton of money....it took me a while 'cause i'm no mechanic but the description was so acurate that it took me half a day disasembling and another half putting everithing back together.

Thank you very much.

However i have another question and i hope you guys can help me here, i have a 2005 X type and the fuel gauge is acting all crazy, sometimes goes below empty and some others way past full and others stops in the middle, i read that it must be the floater on the gas tank and that there is a little compartment on the trunk but i am very confused 'cause i was looking for it but i cannot find anything on the trunk ....if anybody have some pictures or videos i would def. appreciate it.

Thank you again

Old 08-08-2012, 06:22 PM

Thank you very much blaydes99 great help and save me tons of money.....thanks a lot..
im kind of new here so sorry if u see posts twice, i was wondering if anybody has pictures or videos on how to get to the floater on the gas tank... aparently there's a way tyo get through the trunk....by the way i have a 2005 x type.....thanks for all the help

Old 08-08-2012, 06:24 PM

thank you

Old 08-09-2012, 01:46 PM

I would recommend searching "fuel gauge" with the forum search function. Here are a few threads with owners that have had similar issues:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...l-gauge-78251/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...l-gauge-63793/

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-12-2012, 01:13 PM

The upper/lower Plenum gasket numbers(ms96494 and96485) are rejected for a 2003 2.5 x-type, is this an error?

Old 09-17-2012, 01:08 PM

I am having dificulty removing two fuel lines that go into the top of the manifold and still not sure what to do with the conector at the back! really tough to move with hands, would it be ok to use some kind of gfrips?

mactexmick

Old 09-21-2012, 09:42 AM
Default Many thanks, very informative.

Presently trying to do this for my son and lucky there is no hurry,
If it helps anyone, there is no need to remove the bottom cover to access the radiator drain plug, there is a slot. I am now down to that awkward housing 10mm bolt which is a pure rat, tried a little prise whithout success and would not recomend anyone to do this, the housing seems to be soft metal and in my opinion could quite easly break, also tried a 10 mm ratchet but felt this was also going to break, I will just have to wait untill I can get a proper spanner to do the job, there must be something any recomendations will be greatly apreciated.

This really is a rat of a job and would not advise anyone having a go unless experienced, cannot understand why manufacturer wuld put this sensor here in the first place.

Cheers, Mactexmick (mackie)

Old 10-20-2012, 04:24 PM

Thanks for the in-depth guide. I plan on doing this within the next couple days when my part arrive. Going to be replacing the knock sensor, manifold gaskets, coolant, and the breather valve / breather hose.

Will let you know how it goes.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blaydes99 Thank You!
Did the job using your step by step and all went smoothly. I was able to loosen the back bolt of the water pipe over top of the KS using a swivel closed end ratchet wrench and a 3lb sledge. Pain in the rear to tighten tho!
Thanks again and keep the informative posts coming!

Old 10-01-2014, 11:58 PM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts
Default Bank 1, Bank 2 & Cylinder Numbers

Blaydes99: Excellent post. Some people will be helped by clarifying how Jaguar numbers the cylinders, and Bank 1 vs. Bank 2. Regrettably the auto makers don't agree on an industry-wide standard. For our X-Type's it's:

+ Bank 1 is on the firewall / passenger compartment side and contains:
------ Cylinder #1 on the US passenger side
------ Cylinder #3 in the middle
------ Cylinder #5 on the US driver side, closest to the coolant reservoir & brake master cylinder.
+ Bank 2 is on the radiator / bumper side and contains:
------ Cylinder #2 on the US passenger side, closest to the oil fill port
------ Cylinder #4 in the middle
------ Cylinder #6 on the US driver side, closest to the battery

The attached picture is from this site: www.bluejag.co.uk/Jaguar-XTyp...der-Layout.php

A similar picture is on page 14 of this pdf:
http://www.super7thheaven.co.uk/imag...ag_v6_spec.pdf

Jaguar's X-Type Workshop Manual (2001-2009) describes Bank 1, Bank 2 and the cylinder numbers in more detail:

Page 48: References to Bank-1 and Bank-2 are made with regard to the engine. When viewed from the flywheel the right-hand bank will be Bank-1 and the left-hand bank will be Bank-2.

Page 1198: In order for the correct firing order to be observed it should be noted that the correct cylinder numbering is, when viewed from the rear of the engine, the right-hand cylinder bank is numbered 5,3,1 and the left-hand cylinder bank is numbered 6,4,2.

Again, your post is excellent. I wish only to clarify the X-Type's Bank 1, Bank 2 and cylinder numbers.

Attached Thumbnails Replace knock sensor and spark plugs project with pics (as requested) HOW TO-jaguar-cylinder-numbers.png  
Old 10-02-2014, 09:08 AM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

Blaydes99: I hope you don't mind that I added Bank 1 & 2, and Cylinder numbers to one of your pictures.

Attached Thumbnails Replace knock sensor and spark plugs project with pics (as requested) HOW TO-jaguar-x-type-cylinder-numbers.png  
The following users liked this post:
blaydes99 (10-02-2014)
Old 10-02-2014, 09:55 AM

Hey man, no worries. I'm always open to learning something new. Much appreciated!

Old 04-25-2015, 06:25 PM

This is the exact project i need to do. Got the parts ordered, and I saved tons from shopping around. Paid about the same you did give or take. I'm also gonna do the coils while i'm at it. I picked up a set of 6 on amazon for $118. I cant imagine how much id spend if i only bought parts from the dealer, let alone the savings ill get from doing the labor myself. Thanks for posting this. saved me tons of work and money!

Quick Reply: Replace knock sensor and spark plugs project with pics (as requested) HOW TO