Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace Radio and non touch climate control

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 08:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replace Radio and non touch climate control

Hello there,
My name is Tamer and im a new member here living in Amman-Jordan.
i have a 2005 Jaguar with 2.1 petrol engine. My question is if i wanna replace the existing climate control with the Touch screen one's would it be easy as a DIY regarding to plugs and wires in the back or needs a professional installation. Thanks in advance

Old 03-29-2017, 02:08 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Tamer, first off, welcome to JF. Lots of good information here and people that will cut to the chase of your question. But with this, please stop by the New Member section and tells us a little bit about yourself and what brought you to Jaguar. We pride ourselves in being a better car group and as part of this, we like to get to know one another. This will also give you a chance to meet those that make this place what it is.

As for your question, can it be done. Yes. But, unless you have a lot of time on your hands, you would be better off finding a car with this feature already included. This is not a simple "unplug the radio and plug in the new radio and tada, you have Nav and all the other upgrades". In short, you are looking at having to pull the dash out of the car and replacing a lot of what is underneath the dash as you have new modules that will need to be installed to support the Nav function and the controls for all the dampers are different. So, once you factor in the cost of buying the pieces and then the labor to do this work, you can go to your local used car spot and get a car with this added in from the factory for less.

If you have all the time to do something like this, then it may not be too bad of a project. BUt, I would tell you to find a wrecked X-Type that has this radio in it already so when you start transplanting stuff, you have a source to see where things are located and to get all the incidentals.

Taking a guess as to time needed, I would say plan on spending most of a week doing this job if this is your first time diving into a project like this. SOmeone knowing what is going on (ie, able to remove the dash in a timely manner) can remove the dash in a few hours (then another few hours to reinstall), then you have the time for updating all the controls and computers. So, you can plan on say 20 hours of labor at a minimum. Here in the US, you are looking at atleast $1000 just in labor. Probably plan on another $500-1000 in pieces to make this happen.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you Thermo for the fruitful information that you mentioned. Appreciate your help.