Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement Key Fob

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 04:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement Key Fob

Hi from a new member.

My 2003 X-type 2.5 manual saloon came with but one key, however I am encouraged to see several new replacements advertised on Ebay at around £20 to £25. I'm happy I can programme one myself and get the key cut locally, however these all seem to be the same item and, according to the vendors, don't work in a 2003 2.5 saloon.

Is this just bad information from the manufacturer of the fob and a lack of imagination by the sellers, or did Jaguar really use a different unit for the 2.5 to other models in the same year? That sounds most unlikely to me.

There are a couple of used keys also listed on Ebay, but these don't list the donor vehicle, so these sellers must assume, or know, that they fob works for all models of X-type.

Thanks to anyone who can clarify this for me.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:00 PM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts
Old 08-06-2015, 02:39 AM

Thanks Santer - I might call in there Saturday.

I'm still interested in the answer to my original question, if anyone out there knows.

Old 08-12-2015, 03:13 PM
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

the key fobs are all the same, the key blade has a tibb code and you can search on e*** for people who will cut you a key. the fob needs to be matched to the car to open doors ect and the transponder in the fob also needs to be matched to the car for it to work. the transponder and fob can be programmed with the SDD software.

Old 08-18-2015, 05:22 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I ordered a virgin key with transponder and fob. You can program the fob through the ignition with switching it on and off 4 times and if you search there are many instructions how to do it. I got the key cut to my car and programmed it myself with SDD and removed all the other keys in case there was a key floating about that I did not know about.

I am not 100% sure but if a key has been programmed to a vehicle then it can't be reprogrammed to another car. The fobs on the other hand can be.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:00 AM

Thanks.

So, the locking and unlocking functions can be programmed with a series of signals from the car, but the transponder can only be programmed via SDD?

Old 08-18-2015, 07:46 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Saunders
Thanks.

So, the locking and unlocking functions can be programmed with a series of signals from the car, but the transponder can only be programmed via SDD?
Yes this is correct. If you have all the fobs that you want to program with you in the car then insert ignition key and turn key from position 0 to position 2 4 times then you will hear a ding at this point press any button on the fobs to be programmed and this will install them to the car but the fobs that you did not program at this point will be removed from the car and no longer work. The SDD software is very easy to use for the transponder signals of the keys. I am still learning the rest of it but I have removed keys and reprogrammed keys to my Jag with ease. I hope this helps.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by twinstacks
Yes this is correct. If you have all the fobs that you want to program with you in the car then insert ignition key and turn key from position 0 to position 2 4 times then you will hear a ding at this point press any button on the fobs to be programmed and this will install them to the car but the fobs that you did not program at this point will be removed from the car and no longer work. The SDD software is very easy to use for the transponder signals of the keys. I am still learning the rest of it but I have removed keys and reprogrammed keys to my Jag with ease. I hope this helps.
You can register a new key/transponder as long as you already have 2 keys that are already programmed to the car. Its the same on the mondeo, cougar and transit of the correct age.