X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What kind of fluid to run in transfer case?

Old 11-30-2012, 07:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of fluid to run in transfer case?

I am going to be doing a transfer case fluid change this weekend. Actually going to change it 2 or 3 times depending on how dirty it is. I am just wanting to know what kind of fluid you all recommend for the transfer case?

Old 11-30-2012, 08:50 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 238 Likes on 206 Posts

Not sure on the fluid type, but I'm not sure that you need to drain/fill more than once. I don't think the fluid will be particularly "dirty" it's just that there might not be much of it there. That's the problem with the T-Case, the small amount of fluid (500ml) leaks slowly over time leaving no trace of drips. If the T-Case has fluid you're ok, if it's low you're gonna have trouble. Unfortunately, without draining it there's no way to tell how full/empty it is.

Just do it once. But capture the fluid that drains out to tell how much had been lost. If you find that the case had plenty of fluid then you should be ok. However, if you find that the case was near empty I'd start getting ready for a T-Case replacement since the likelihood of failure (even after adding the new fluid) will be increased.
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar

Old 11-30-2012, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 186 Likes on 161 Posts

I used Royal Purple 75W-140 when I did mine a few months ago.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:23 AM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I used the Royal Purple as well.
I'd like to point-out that several years ago, there was a forum member here using the username "Wildbill" who was selling nicely-priced "kits" for this fluid exchange.
The kits included items like a one-way valve that you installed, and etc etc. Very detailed instructions, too.

I no longer have an X-Type, but I probably have the kit still, if you can;t find WildBill on the forum.

(anyone know if he's still around and selling these?

Old 11-30-2012, 04:15 PM

Thanks for the help. I picked up some royal purple tonight.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:08 PM

I'm running Royal Purple in mine and so far so good. It's been 8 months since the change.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:58 PM

Is this a fairly easy task, (DIY) or should it be taken to the shop?

Old 12-11-2012, 06:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DIY is easy. There is only one bolt on the bottom. Unbolt and drain. Then jack up the driver side of the car to 20in. Put a tube on the tip of the bottle and squeeze it in through the drain plug. When it starts to drip out, it's full. Bolt up and done.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:49 AM

I changed my fluid by doing the jacking up method. I didn't even get a half cup. I got about 150ml out of it. The fluid was nasty and had metal shavings on it. I noticed while being under the car that someone has already changed the transfer case with one from junk yard. It had paint marker writing on it and you can tell the bolts been out. I think it will eventually need another transfer case though.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Rigsby94
I changed my fluid by doing the jacking up method. I didn't even get a half cup. I got about 150ml out of it. The fluid was nasty and had metal shavings on it. I noticed while being under the car that someone has already changed the transfer case with one from junk yard. It had paint marker writing on it and you can tell the bolts been out. I think it will eventually need another transfer case though.
You have to take into account that when drained via the fitted 'drain' plug, there is still 250 mls left in the box; so 150 mls drained = 400 mls total.

To get back to the recommended 550 mls total, 300 mls should be added.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:02 AM
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by ssreyer
DIY is easy. There is only one bolt on the bottom. Unbolt and drain. Then jack up the driver side of the car to 20in. Put a tube on the tip of the bottle and squeeze it in through the drain plug. When it starts to drip out, it's full. Bolt up and done.
er ahem,
1. Are we talking left hand drive(US) or right hand vehicles here ?

2. At what place are you measuring 20 inches ?

Old 12-14-2012, 12:43 PM
pab
Veteran Member

Passenger side in your case, and about 20" under the door jam.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:44 PM
Arrow

Pab,
Thank you..... all is clear now

Old 12-14-2012, 04:21 PM
pab
Veteran Member

>all is clear now

Ha, do you guys even remember what ' and " are... ;-)

Old 12-14-2012, 06:32 PM
Arrow

Originally Posted by pab
>all is clear now

Ha, do you guys even remember what ' and " are... ;-)
I have no idea what you are referring to or inferring ??
(clarity is such a virtue)

Or, as one famous scribe wrote;

The English language in the hands of an expert - is a precise instrument.
But, in the hands of a novice - it can become a deadly weapon.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:31 PM
Arrow

Howdy to All,
Attached are 10 pages from Jaguar's X-Type Workshop Manual.... which details
the description and all the usual service work - for the Transfer Case.

Hope its found to be useful by all.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Service_Transfer Case.pdf (668.3 KB, 505 views)

Last edited by Lcgi; 12-15-2012 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Typo's fixed
Old 12-17-2012, 09:41 AM
pab
Veteran Member

>I have no idea what you are referring to or inferring ??

Seriously, or are you trolling stinky bait?

' - measurement in feet (i.e., I'm 6' tall)
" - measurement in inches (i.e., the pictures on the wall are 24", or 2' apart).

Do the Brits still measure things in inches/feet/yards/miles?

I miss imperial gallons, my gas mileage was much better then...

Old 12-17-2012, 01:19 PM
Arrow

Originally Posted by pab
>I have no idea what you are referring to or inferring ??

Seriously, or are you trolling stinky bait?

' - measurement in feet (i.e., I'm 6' tall)
" - measurement in inches (i.e., the pictures on the wall are 24", or 2' apart).

Do the Brits still measure things in inches/feet/yards/miles?

I miss imperial gallons, my gas mileage was much better then...
Pab,
Yes, I was serious mate ...... but now that you have clarified your particular abbreviations and use of punctuation marks - I understand what you had intended to state.

As an Aussie (as opposed to a Brit) I can tell you this country went through the its logical decimalisation / metrication process - way back in the 70's.
It seems only the British and you 'American Colonials' (as they term you) continue to use the older Imperial System and as you say - in some instances you even established your own versions of that. (US Gallons etc.)

Other than her majesty, our settlement heritage and driving on the correct side of the road - these days, we have little in common with the 'old Dart' and just love to beat the Poms at anything worthwhile (Sport) - with a degree of irreverence and passion.

Anyways, and back on topic of this thread;

Today I went through the process of draining and replenishing the lubricant to the Transfer Case. After a bit of research, I opted to use Castrols Syntrax 80W140, a slightly increased specification to the recommended 75W140 oil, but more suited to local Australian conditions.

Before starting the job, I had a very close look at this Gearbox and could find no trace or evidence of there having been any fluid leakage or previous service work. The painted numbers (white) as mentioned earlier by Rigsby94 were also present (686/3) but I think this is an assembly line reference marking - rather than a scrap yard stock code.

My observations of the fluid that drained.... ?

I got 180 mL out of the box after leaving it to drip for over an hour. The Oils colour was like honey and was free of debris. The magnet attached to the inside of drain plug had done a good job - accumulating about a 0.25mm film of black sludge

At first, I was alarmed at the quantity that had drained but take on board Astromorgs earlier comment about there being 250 mL of residual oil still in the Gearbox (after draining) - I am happier. This car is now approaching 9 years and if the Transfer Case and Oil are indeed original... then I think the Gearbox in in great shape.

The most difficult aspect of this entire job was jacking the car up to the designated height of 540mm (measured below the Door Sill) There are not many standard Car Jacks around that have 350mm of working length in them. So, for me it was a matter of making a series of progressive lifts using concrete blocks as stages in between the lifts (a time consuming process for an old fart like me)

Anyways, eventually I got the side of the car elevated to 580mm (+40) and ready to recharge the Gearbox with new lubricant.
I poured a measured quantity of new 80W140 into a jug and then used a large 50 mL syringe with 150mm of tube attached - to deliver the Oil into the Gearbox. I got 4 lots into it OK.... and maybe 10% of a 5th.... before Oil started to overflow out of the drain socket. So, I'm confident that at least 200 mL of fresh Oil went back into the Transfer Case.
I replaced the drain plug (cleaned from black gunk) degreased the gearbox outer area and then lowered the Car.

Checked for leaks (none) so, Job is Done !

Thank you to all who have contributed their experiences and knowledge to this thread..... making the job much easier for anyone follow and do the work.

I have posted a couple of pics - showing my own scenario.

Have a great remains of the day

Attached Thumbnails What kind of fluid to run in transfer case?-jaguar-specs.jpg   What kind of fluid to run in transfer case?-img_0039.jpg   What kind of fluid to run in transfer case?-img_0040.jpg   What kind of fluid to run in transfer case?-img_0042.jpg   What kind of fluid to run in transfer case?-img_0043.jpg  

What kind of fluid to run in transfer case?-img_0047.jpg   What kind of fluid to run in transfer case?-img_0049.jpg   What kind of fluid to run in transfer case?-img_0051.jpg   What kind of fluid to run in transfer case?-img_0057.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
rjs5689 (06-02-2014)
Old 12-17-2012, 03:48 PM
pab
Veteran Member

Wow, the underside of your car is clean!!!

Must be not picking up all the gunk that gets deposited on winter roads (unless you had it steam cleaned before starting your task...)

Glad it worked out for you.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:58 PM

This job seems longer and tougher than replacing my thermostat... I didn't realize you needed so many "special" tools. If I knew it would be this complicated I would take it to the dealership to do, but I not paying the labor of letting it drain for an hour.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What kind of fluid to run in transfer case?