X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seatbelt Buckle Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 07:02 PM
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Seatbelt Buckle Replacement

I searched the forum and couldn't find anything specificaly on this so...

My 2003 X-Type driver's seat belt buckle has failed. It now requires that the release button be pressed in to join the two pieces.

1) Has anyone ventured to tke the buckle end apart to fix this problem?

2) I have located a junk yard that claims to have the part ($100 USD) though I have not placed my order yet. What is the procedure to R/R this piece? Must I remove the seat or center console?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Old 07-23-2010, 08:05 PM
Default seat buckle airbag sensor

i made the mistake of purchasing the junkyard buckle, only to find out that the airbag sensor in it was deployed. now my airbag light on the dash is illuminated. i called the junkyard back and the fellow agreed to refund my money fortunately. there is really no way to tell this by looking at the buckle (at least this particular one looks *perfect*). word to the wise - don't purchase a used junkyardseatbelt buckle unless you know the driver wasn't jerked around in an accident. this sucker took about 2 hours (wasted!) time to install. there is a mind boggling number of wires and connectors and very cramped quarters under that d*mn seat. i now have a new buckle on order.

does anyone know what the procedure is to reset the dash airbag light? can i do it with an ordinary obdII code reader/reset tool?

Old 07-24-2010, 09:29 AM
Default Airbag Code 33

Update:

I'f you've purchased a junkjard seatbelt buckle and now your getting a dasboard airbag code 33(3 blinks, pause, 3 blinks) it is an indication of:

33 - Seat Belt Pretension fault – driver

I tried to reset this with my generic reader/reset tool and no joy. the tool reads the usual jag specific p1000 and p1111 codes which is of no help.

am i being optomistic in assuming it will reset itself when i install my new seatbelt buckle or am i destined to find a dealer to reset it?

Old 07-25-2010, 11:31 AM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by survey_sez
Update:

I'f you've purchased a junkjard seatbelt buckle and now your getting a dasboard airbag code 33(3 blinks, pause, 3 blinks) it is an indication of:

33 - Seat Belt Pretension fault – driver

I tried to reset this with my generic reader/reset tool and no joy. the tool reads the usual jag specific p1000 and p1111 codes which is of no help.

am i being optomistic in assuming it will reset itself when i install my new seatbelt buckle or am i destined to find a dealer to reset it?
If you need a new/used buckle I have a whole set from my parts car and will sell the seatbelt pretensioner for 50 bucks shipped with in the US.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:13 PM

thanks for the offer - should have known sooner. bought one brand new $180. still hasn't arrived.

does anyone know if the fault will reset itself after the new setabelt is installed or will i need to find a dealer??

Old 07-28-2010, 05:29 PM
Default seatbelt replacement

not sure i should even bother posting this given the ovewhelming interest. but maybe this will help some other poor soul... here we go:

background:

pretensioner on a good seatbelt should measure closed circuit (close to zero ohms). the pretensioner is the orange connector. the seatbelt-not-attached warning is related to the brown connector. in other words there are two seperate circuits controlled by the seatbelt. on a bad seatbelt in which the pretensioner has been deployed, it will measure open circuit (close to infinate ohms). how to tell if you don't have an ohmeter? look down the black metal barrel at the end of the unit; if the securing end of the cable is not at the very bottom of the barrel then it's been deployed - and it's no good. you can also tell by looking at black plastic sheething covering the steel cable between the buckle and the main housing; if it looks crumpled, then the cable has been retracted and it no good.

seatbelt buckle replacement:

following instructions are for driver sidereplacement. set aside approximately 1.5-2 hrs and god bless you for your patience.

1) put seat in full back position and unbolt both front bolt connecting seat to floor (10mm)
2) using electrical seat switch, move seat all the way forward
3) unscrew plastic pieces covering rear seat floor bolts (philips screwdriver)
4) remove four rear seat floor bolts (10mm)
5) remove electrical harness from car to front of seat (6mm)
6) tip seat on side inside car (no need to remove) and block up with a small cardboard box underneath to level seat somewhat. balance it so that you can get at evereything underneath while sitting in the passanger seat.
7) pry thin metal retainer, and pull electrical connector forward, un-clipping from seat bracket
8) using small flathead screwdriver, release two clips holding brown and orange connectors from seatbelt assembly from the electrical connector backshel and push out.
9) unsrew seatbelt buckle assembly (large torx)
10) cut cable ties to remove seatbelt buckle assembly.
11) install new seatbelt assembly in reverse order - use a couple of new cable ties to prevent the two wires from cathing on anything below seat.

side note: the dashboard airbag light (associated with code 33 = driver side pretensioner failure) will reset itself without fiddling with any computers

cheers!

Last edited by survey_sez; 08-11-2010 at 06:06 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by survey_sez:
ablack (03-08-2015), hlgeorge (07-30-2016), Larry-Cleveland (11-03-2015), Openmicman (11-16-2021), ovalhed (02-06-2024)
Old 04-07-2014, 04:48 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad you posted this and Thank You! Wife pulled up outside in rain sitting in car and yelling like crazy till my old mom saw her and came and got me. Wife was furious seat belt stuck and she couldn't get out!
I was having a great laugh!,

Old 03-08-2015, 11:20 AM
Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Thanks, Survey_sez

Followed your instructions yesterday and they worked very well. I took my old buckle apart and found, as expected, that the spring in the unit had twisted. I replaced it with the spring from a "just in case" passenger unit I got from eBay, and it's good as new.

Old 03-08-2015, 05:02 PM

glad I was able to help! I've come to the conclusion that almost everything in this car marked bosch is a pos!

Old 09-06-2015, 12:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seatbelt buckle spring fix

Originally Posted by ablack
Followed your instructions yesterday and they worked very well. I took my old buckle apart and found, as expected, that the spring in the unit had twisted. I replaced it with the spring from a "just in case" passenger unit I got from eBay, and it's good as new.
I have this exact same problem with the front passenger seatbelt buckle in my XF - I have to press the button to get it to accept the seatbelt...

I suspect that it is a spring that is broken/twisted in the unit. Is it possible to take the buckle part apart to fix the spring without having to remove to seat to get to the bolt to remove the whole thing? If so how does it some apart?

Many thanks

Rich

Old 09-07-2015, 11:41 AM
Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Rich,

I am not sure how similar my old VDP is to your XF, but I suspect that your latch, like mine, is attached to the sliding seat assembly. I guess it is technically possible to do what I did without removing the seat, but there are many little bits inside the mechanism that would be very easy to lose unless you have the assembly on the bench in front of you. Removing the seat is about a 15-20 minute job (at least in my VDP) and worth it IMHO.

Good luck!

Andrew

Old 09-07-2015, 12:40 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

The latch part is press riveted together.
It would take drilling and re-riveted.
And not sure if it can be fixed without spare parts.

Replacing the entire assembly is too easy to warrant an attempted fix.
When you go to the scrap yard to buy one, make sure the front end of the car is not wrecked and it should be fine.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:50 AM
Default Replacing Seatbelt Buckle..

I have found a replacement seatbelt buckle assembly for my XF however the plastic case around the buckle receiver part is black - the casing on mine is a cream colour to match my interior..

Does anyone know if its possible to remove the plastic casing from the buckle and replace the black one on the new unit with the one from my car? I cant see any screws/rivets on this part so im guessing that it's just clipped together somehow, but dont want to break it trying to get it apart!

Rich

Originally Posted by ablack
Rich,

I am not sure how similar my old VDP is to your XF, but I suspect that your latch, like mine, is attached to the sliding seat assembly. I guess it is technically possible to do what I did without removing the seat, but there are many little bits inside the mechanism that would be very easy to lose unless you have the assembly on the bench in front of you. Removing the seat is about a 15-20 minute job (at least in my VDP) and worth it IMHO.

Good luck!

Andrew

Old 07-30-2016, 09:24 AM
Default Mr

HI can some please help me I can't release the brown and orange connecters.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:42 AM
GGG
Received 16,764 Likes on 12,153 Posts

Originally Posted by Numan Ijaz Dar
HI can some please help me I can't release the brown and orange connecters.
Welcome to the forum Numan Ijaz Dar,

I'll take a wild guess this a Jaguar and possibly an X-Type but my mystical powers fail when trying to guess the Year.

Is it one of these connections?

Seatbelt Buckle Replacement-buckle-harness.jpg

I'm not familiar with the X-Type buckle but if it doesn't just pull out, there's likely to be a locking tab which will have to be pressed with a small screwdriver to release the harness connector. Members here with this model will be able to say if I'm way off the mark with this suggestion!

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 12-01-2019, 09:15 PM

not sure i should even bother posting this given the ovewhelming interest. but maybe this will help some other poor soul... here we go:

background:

pretensioner on a good seatbelt should measure closed circuit (close to zero ohms). the pretensioner is the orange connector. the seatbelt-not-attached warning is related to the brown connector. in other words there are two seperate circuits controlled by the seatbelt. on a bad seatbelt in which the pretensioner has been deployed, it will measure open circuit (close to infinate ohms). how to tell if you don't have an ohmeter? look down the black metal barrel at the end of the unit; if the securing end of the cable is not at the very bottom of the barrel then it's been deployed - and it's no good. you can also tell by looking at black plastic sheething covering the steel cable between the buckle and the main housing; if it looks crumpled, then the cable has been retracted and it no good.

following instructions are for driver sidereplacement. set aside approximately 1.5-2 hrs and god bless you for your patience.

1) put seat in full back position and unbolt both front bolt connecting seat to floor (10mm)
6) tip seat on side inside car (no need to remove) and block up with a small cardboard box underneath to level seat somewhat. balance it so that you can get at evereything underneath while sitting in the passanger seat.
7) pry thin metal retainer, and pull electrical connector forward, un-clipping from seat bracket
8) using small flathead screwdriver, release two clips holding brown and orange connectors from seatbelt assembly from the electrical connector backshel and push out.
11) install new seatbelt assembly in reverse order - use a couple of new cable ties to prevent the two wires from cathing on anything below seat.

side note: the dashboard airbag light (associated with code 33 = driver side pretensioner failure) will reset itself without fiddling with any computers

cheers!
Thanks. Did the buckle replacement with new. Process worked great. Only addition if using new part... Slide leather trim over plug end up to buckle before install. No wire zip ties. New wire has snap in wire holders in seat frame to replace ones removed. Also, harness from car unplugs by depressing obvious tab. Buckle plastic wire casing just unplugs and has grooves that slide into existing holder on seat frame. Took my time. Worked great with no airbag codes. Thanks!!

Old 08-07-2020, 12:20 PM

Had error code 3 and 4 flashing on dash. This equates to Passenger side front Safety belt pretensioner circuit fault. Purchased a second hand Passenger side front pretensioner from a quality seller on ebay 100% positive feedback.

So disconnected battery and waited 5 minutes (Jaguar manual states 1 minute). Pushed seat back and Removed the two front bolts holding down the front passenger side seat, then pulled seat forward to show back cover covering the 4 front passenger side seat bolts, removed this cover, and then removed these bolts, From front of seat tipped seat backwards to I could see the two pretensioner wire that go into the connector at the front of the seat. then got my new pretensioner out of the box, and compared it to the one I had in my car, I had ordered the wrong colour, my car has a black one, the one I had ordered was sable in colour. So I decided to disconnect the two pretensioner cables from the front connector, just incase there was a faulty connection, did this then put everything back in reverse order. Connected the battery and switched on the ignition. To my amazement the error code changed from 34 to 33, this indicates that the Front drivers side safety belt pretensioner circuit was at fault. So did exactly the same with the front seat, disconnecting the battery and waiting 5 minutes then removing bolts and then discounnecting the two pretensioners from the front connector, put everything back in reverse order. connected the battery again, and to my amazement I did not have any codes flashing, so it was just a loose connection under both seats. Hope this helps some one.

Old 11-16-2021, 07:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

background:

cheers!
absolute gold dust. Followed it - great directions and now have working seatbelt.

I did disconnect battery after moving the seat forward - just to be safe. A head torch was useful….
and it’s a Torx 50… for anyone who asks the question :-)

thanks you for posting.

The view under the seat.

The following users liked this post:
Yorta2 (11-16-2021)
Old 11-16-2021, 08:08 AM
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

The electronics in my seat belt are fine. It was just the spring acting up from time to time.

I found an extension, often used for large people, that plugs into the original buckle and has a new buckle for the belt. It works great and I even like it better as the buckle is much easier to get to now.

You should find one for under $20

The following users liked this post:
Yorta2 (11-16-2021)
Old 02-06-2024, 02:28 PM

background:

cheers!
Thank you very much for posting these detailed step by step instructions.
I had no idea there was a gizmo release that needed to be reset.