0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Should I buy this??

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 05:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy this??

Hello,

New member here. I am looking into buying this X-Type Sport.

(Copy of ad)
Rare 2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5L 5 Spd Manual, Black on Black Fully Loaded with Navigation and Sports Package. Includes 18" Chrome wheels and Spare 17" Jag Sports Wheels(w/o rubber but can be used as a winter set). Car has low mileage at 156K and has been well maintained. Is my daily driver but looking to sell now to buy SUV for family. Call or reply by email.
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5L Manual

What do you Jag enthusiasts think of this particular one?
What are some things I should look out for?

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:32 AM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Hum. It is not a rare vehicle. Cheapest x-type made aka inexpensive.
156K I would not consider low miles for this make
If you inspect, bring a code reader and look for P1111 code, the all OK code.
Grill the owner about his tires, did he always keep a matched set on the car?
Unmatched tires cause odd drive train wear issues.
$2500 would be top dollar for this ride, not sure what the ask price is.
Maybe add a few bucks with maintenance records, if condition is amazing.

The following users liked this post:
h4wk (08-26-2015)
Old 08-26-2015, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

It looks nice, but with the miles, I wouldn't pay more than a few grand on it, if it is perfect......Mike

Old 08-26-2015, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by innzane
Hum. It is not a rare vehicle. Cheapest x-type made aka inexpensive.
156K I would not consider low miles for this make
If you inspect, bring a code reader and look for P1111 code, the all OK code.
Grill the owner about his tires, did he always keep a matched set on the car?
Unmatched tires cause odd drive train wear issues.
$2500 would be top dollar for this ride, not sure what the ask price is.
Maybe add a few bucks with maintenance records, if condition is amazing.
I forgot to mention the car is in kilometres (canada). The conversion to miles is 93,000. I'm going to look at the car today, I will bring an ODB2 scanner with me to check for DTC's.
The guy is asking $3800 CAD. I will check for unmatched tires and uneven wear.
I read about the transfer case issues. Anything else I should keep an eye out for?
Thanks for your response.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by mrplow58
It looks nice, but with the miles, I wouldn't pay more than a few grand on it, if it is perfect......Mike
It has 93,000miles he's asking $3800 CAD. Going by if everything is perfect. Should I offer $2500 and go up from there and try to get it for 3-3500$.?
I just sold my 00' Lincoln LS V6 3.0 with 130,000miles for $4900 so I think this Jag will be a good upgrade.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:52 PM
Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Rust as well esp the rockers (hard to see under those plastic covers. Otherwise, clutch, and of course all the maint. things for a 13 year old car. What are you likely to need to replace in the next year or so.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:16 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

That is a nice difference in mileage.
Adds a lil more value to it.
If asking 3,800, 2,500 may be a lil low to hit the seller with.
But worth a shot, they may need to sell it.

With the aftermarket wheels, I would check the inner front fenders for rubs.
Mine has 18's and dropped an inch, I do hit fender alot.

But judging by many recent posts, if it starts and runs, you found a nice one.
I paid $2200 for mine a few years ago. 2002 3.0 auto
Good shape, hood was a lil rough, been wrecked and fixed, replaced tranny.

Old 11-07-2015, 09:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I have four of these x types, and have spent $1500, $2000, $3500 and $5600, all in mostly perfect shape and the latter one with $10000 in receipts; I buy with less than 130k and then ONLY with a visual check of the transfer case oil (if it is not full of oil (check cold only) don;t touch it). At 156k you have to make sure the clutch was done, OR that its in perfect shape, and it'd be nice to know that the intake manifold gaskets were done although I don't consider that a huge issue. But I'd pay no more than $1500. I've bought three with engine lights on (Buy a OBD tester for $100), all 02 sensors. The thing about high mileage is that at around 125k you need spark plugs, and might as well do coil packs at least in the back (bank one) and IMT gaskets, and brakes (easy) and rotors, and …well...you get my drift.

Old 11-08-2015, 05:09 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

h4wk, based on the car, I see 2 things that you need to pay special attention to. The first being the transfer case. As you know, it can be the weak link and a test drive will tell you a lot. The second thing I would look at is the inside edge of all 4 tires. I would be a little leary if the car has 4 new tires on it. This would tell me that there is a suspension issue and they are trying to cover it up by putting new tires on. Not that suspension issues are an expensive fix for this car, but it would be an additional expense in the near future.

On the test drive, get the car up to 60 mph (100 kph) and put a very light hold on the steering wheel. Does the steering wheel wobble back and forth while maintaining speed? If so, then you are looking at either the front alignment being out or one of the rims being bent (most likely why the car has aftermarket rims on it as the factory ones can be easily bent).

With all being said and done, I will propose two other questions that you need to ask yourself. The easier one to answer is whether you are looking to upgrade the stereo or not. Because this car has the NAV straight from the factory, this also tells me that all the A/C controls are integrated into the radio. So, if you are planning on upgrading the stereo, it is going to be a very, very expensive modification as you will have to retrofit the non-auto heat controls (not a straight forward thing). This may or may not be an issue for you.

The second question that I will propose to you is how you plan on driving the car. Not that I care, but your wallet might. If you want something to get out on the highway and cruise between towns and have a nice ride, then this will be a good car. if you like to drive a little sporty on a routine basis, then you may want to consider stepping up to the S-Type/XJ for just a little bit more money. As you know, the transfer cases are the weak link in these cars and off the line power pulls (ie, hard accelerations) are especially hard on the transfer cases. When a new transfer case being installed can cost $3000 USD, you can see where minding your right foot can be important.

If you have more questions, let me know.

Old 11-25-2015, 05:41 PM
Default Gearbox swap

Hello everyone. I am thinking of buying x300 with faulty gearbox however have a question. Is it possible to replace x300 gearbox from x308, so gears would be shorter and consumption would reduce? Or its not worth it?

Old 11-27-2015, 05:10 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Maxi, you need to ask this over in the XJ section, not the X-Type section. Not many people would know the answer to your question here.

As for your question, I am going to take a stab at it. In short, I think the tranny will bolt up. The problem is going to be the computer. If I remember right, the X308 has more gears than the X300 tranny. With the computer system, it is only going to see however many gears the X300 tranny has, not what the X308 tranny has. So, you would never get to the last gear in the X308 tranny. Now you are looking at swapping computers and this opens up another complete can of worms.

But, I would really rely on the word of what the guys in the X300 forum say. They will know a lot more than I would. I am just thinking about it logically and with what I know about the computer systems and whatnot.