X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sound clip of the whining noise, please listen.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by PI314
Matl, Did you ever get the whining noise resolved? I have the same noise in my 04 X-Type (thanks for the audio recording).
I second this. This noise is also occurring in my 02 3.0 sport 5spd with 110k

Old 10-19-2011, 04:27 PM
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Just an FYI,

I recently replaced the prop shaft bearings in the "Transfer Case". My car had been making similar noises for 2 years. After replacement, it's very quiet indeed!

I cannot assure you that the noise you have is the TC's prop shaft bearings. But those are the ones that wear out.

It was not terribly difficult and you can take it apart yourself with just a few tools.

I replaced the bearings myself, but I have a press and shop to do the work. You could easily purchase the bearings ahead of time (they's not spensive) Then simply bring the carrier assembly (it's not big or heavy) down to a shop that can do the work. I'd guess about 2 hours labor. Your shop must use a 1/2 inch, powerful, air impact wrench to get the big nut loose.

Simply re-assemble the carrier, without worrying about the gear backlash. As, it's not adjustable without playing the shim game. And, I'm not sure they are commonly available. In my case, there were no shims, so it went back together with just the new bearings.

Search my other posts for the bearing part numbers that fit my transfer case. Yours could be different, I have no way of knowing.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:26 AM
Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Prop Shaft Center Carriage Bearing

I have a 2006 X-type w/ 85K miles. Whining noise and vibration started yesterday. worse on deceleration but also with accel. Dealer replaced whole Prop Shaft. Thank you Certified Warranty Now that noise is gone. They keep them in stock due to the number of failures they see. BUT, now there is a high pitched whirring noise coming from around the PS reservoir on the right side. Filled the Fluid but no luck. I can feel the vibration in the steering wheel.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Problem too

I recently bought a XJ8, 2001.

Started out with the lunge off of stop lights and a thump, No trans codes or faults, just an akwardness to pull off and slowing down to a near stop was a little bumpy as well.

I did the reset with the POS/NEG and put the car into p1000 p1111 (learn).

This smoothed out the transfere of gears but, left me with a fault, The whine in RPM under load. at first i thought it was just 1st, 2nd gear...well yes of course, the RPMs are higher so the bearing is spinning faster!.

I also noticed it when "booting the gas peddle" the car would gear down, go like **** off a shovel but the whine would appear!.

Ever heard a Clutch release bearing whine on a standard?

The Lowest common denominator here, is THE COLD WEATHER.

SO yeah!, Mines down at the shop, im waiting on there investigation to what my problem is, if i can get away with some Prop shaft bearings and a trans flush and filter, ill be a very happy man.

Makes sense though, sounds just like a dry bearing waiting to collaps.

Well have to wait and see. and of course, depends on weather or not my Indie Jag dealers wants to tell me honestly whats wrong, or he just wants to hit me with "You Need a new Trans.".

Be intresting, this guy seems like a decent fellow.

Count on some good graces.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:36 PM

Calico, My "whinning" noise doesn't seem related to the trans, or txfr case. The car shifts smooth as silk. The noise happens in neutral or in gear. One strange thing I noticed is that after the whinning started my gas mileage has dropped off significantly. I am getting 17 city if I'm lucky. Right now i'm at 16.4. I was consistently at 19 to 20 city before. Could the noise be fuel pump related? Tech said it was Power Steering pump. But steering is fine. The pitch of the noise does change when I turn the wheel and is definitely worse in the cold, so maybe. Warranty is up in July. Hope it fails first

Old 02-24-2012, 04:44 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the same issue as Matl. I have a 02 2.5 manual. Since i bought the car in 2008 with obly 36K km on it I do a transfer case, tranny, and differential oil change every year on the car. I know its a little excessive but well worth it. I replaced one prop shaft already and the noise went away and a year later its back.

About 6 months ago it got worse and louder than normal. Thought it was a wheel bearing but the noise didnt change on turns so that was ruled out.

Had my mechanic lift the car up in tha air, I drove it while he was under listening. I went all the way up to 90km and you could only hear the centre bearing making noise and it was not as loude as what i normaly hear while driving. Seems like the noise is louder when its under load.

My mechanics diagnosis was the hanging bearing and if that dosent work maybe a transmission bearing. Now I was late for a meeting and didnt get a chance to ask him why he thought it was the transmission bearing. I guess I will ask him on my next oil change.

Has anyone tried replacing the centre bearing them self? Just wondering how long it takes to do, what tools are needed and the difficulty level of this repair? Or better yet, anyone know a place that re builds these shafts in Canada, im in Ontario

Old 03-01-2012, 08:21 AM
Default High pitched whine was AC compressor

Finally solved. The annoying high pitched whine that increases with rpm in gear or not, was the AC compressor. Whit Allen Jag in Dayton used a stethoscope to pinpoint it. The car is back to that beautiful growl I love. This also solved the lights dimming when the compressor kicked in.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:10 PM

Hi,

I have the same noise and just figured it was gear noise due to AWD. This is my first vehicle with AWD so that is what I assumed. Now I'm scarred! How do you check for oil in the sealed transfer case?

Old 03-03-2012, 10:49 AM

The car should be quiet. The AWD does not normally make noise.

How many miles are on it? Transfer case typically hits past 60k if at all. When my xfer case went it only made high pitch whistle when in gear and then after warmed up it stoped. Then it catastrophically failed with no warning. It wasn't a continuous noise. Does it make the sound in park? Does it increase/decrease with RPM? I suggest raising the bonnet and taking a long handle screwdriver or a dowel rod and placing it on areas of the engine where the noise seems to be coming from. Place you ear to the dowell and you'll hear the noise louder when you get to the right area. Try the passenger side. My dealer used a stethoscope. We did think it was power steering pump but there was no grinding when the steering wheel was at max turn. Do the dash lights and headlights dim appreciably when the AC kicks in? The AC compressor failing causes a drag on the engine because it shares a belt. I even saw a drop in MPG. After AC comp fixed MPG improved.

Looking forward to hearing how it turns it.

Last edited by WayCoolDaddio; 03-03-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:09 PM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Question whine

This post is from 07 is it still a problem?

I seem that solutions have been all over the board and no one is going to determine the cause from the clip unless the area is localized.Do this.
Localize it by testing areas of the car, certain parts spin faster,does it do it in neutral,do it when coasting,in lower gear,with your foot lightly on the clutch,lightly on the brake under power,heavy brake under power. Being it's a manual it could be a thrust bearing loading up and is bad, I have seen a misadjusted shift fork preload the throw out. I would bet it's a bearing loading up under certain conditions and has a rough race. If your brave and CAREFUL enough to put it on stands,2nd person sit in car use a make shift stethascope(wooden dowel, piece of surgical tubing with a dowel in the end you should be able to locate the area and go from there. Please use caution,no loose clothing,hair,chains,wear saftey goggels,no gloves. This is dangerious. Remember the axel shafts are hanging and if it's in the transfer case they might not load normal especally when the wheels are spinning free. Also be sure the 2nd person DOES NOT jam on the brakes when the wheels are spinning fast you could snap a axel.GENTLE.
Good luck,

Old 03-04-2012, 05:07 PM

Billbjork, the original thread is from 07. Dangillo just posted to it on 2/3. My reply was for him specifically. No clue if the original post was ever truly solved.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:42 PM

Hi,

Sorry it has been so long between replies, work and actually getting to listen correctly to the car has taken a while. My noise happens only when driving and on the accelerator. No noise at idle or with the hood up. A soft pitched whinning sound as you accelerate, that goes up in pitch some but never loud.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:39 AM

Dangillo, that could be the start of xfer case symptoms. Keep an ear on it. There are several threads on xfer case and propshaft and center carriage bearings you may want to check out.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:57 PM

Thats what it is, its bearig noise when the car is cold, you will find that its just a case of wear and tear on xfer case bearings or/and propshaft bearings. just dont thrash the car when its cold, Warm it up, let go at 2k on the revs untill the car has warmed up for about 20 minutes.

Most of the people who have noticed this noise happen to have short drives in the early mornings, the car isn't getting enough running time before being turned off, you could leave it running for a bit on the drive way before you leave but this is not healthy for any engine of sorts.

Just accept it, these jags are machines and parts wear out, its not a German or Jap car that has better design and life and performance at times, its a Britsh/USA/GM Frankinstien with a ZF german trans, that is hot worth a bollck on the TCM side of things, To get the "Re-advised" TCM thats described in michelle on line, the dealer wants 2000 bucks for it..thats bollcks too. I had a ECM reprogram the other month, found that the Tourqe Converter was sticking, but ive learned to get around it, to where, it hardly mess's up at all now.

1, I run a Sub and amp, so i have to run trickle charge on my battery at least once a fortnight (2 weeks) so i do the hard reset whilst im at it, i find once i do this, the tranny runs great, dont get any jerking and absolulty no codes, OK, its not the ideal fix for a once 70,000 buck car but it can live with it.

The tourqe converter may have a fault, but if the reset makes my Jag drive and shift like a Silver Ghost for 2 weeks, who gives a flying anyways.

The fix would be for Jaguar to admit its design faults and open the flood gates to after market part producers so we can get a new TCM/ECM set up, it would be no different than fitting a HTI distributer to a 4.6 jeep.

ALL COMMON FAULT PARTS

It would be nice to keep these cars on the road but i think the general idea is that we should all be scrapping them and going eco (no less that 32 highway).

When the XJ8 is running in harmony its a most delightful experinece, the way it sounds and feels is very nice...i belive this is why such horrible faults haunt us all on these beautiful machines, its a shame.

The following users liked this post:
Rocket.99 (05-08-2021)
Old 03-29-2012, 06:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm. After reading through these forums, I now here a similar sound. It sometimes makes it even in park when I step on the gas a little. I had assumed, prior to reading here, that it was just an AWD/Jag thing. Was there ever any resolution on this?

Old 03-30-2012, 07:05 AM

SBJAG, I had a subtle whining noise for quite a while that became much louder a few months ago. Yes, it makes it even when in park, worse when it is cold. The whine increased with rpm. Turned out to be my AC compressor. Tech used a stethoscope to find it. Thought it was power steering pump. They replaced the ps pump and then realized it was AC compressor. Tis sound is different than xfer case issue. That's a high pitched whine and vibration when in gear. When that fails you'll know it! The other vibrating sound issue on these is the center carriage bearing on the propshaft that usually shakes the car when decelerating and whines when accelerating. A least mine did before they replaced it at 80K-ish.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:45 AM
Default Just get shut now, Trust me, Im british

Look, its a GM/Ford bag of **** with a crappy ZF 5 speed on it thats not worth a ****!.

They have been known to go wrong at like less than 30,000 miles on them.

The whole Car is just designed to take your money and give you a bad back.

Get shut of it now, its the worst car i have ever owned in 12 years.

Walk away, cut your loss now!, they only get worse.

These jags will put every single used car owner of this vehicle so far in the ****, they will be licking there wounds for months on there costs and loss. and so forth until it hits its final resting place on the scrap heap then melted down so it can go back into something worth driving, in its next life i pray.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Daddio. It would be strange if it was my AC because I just had the O rings replaced due to some leakage. However, there is no "shuddering" or anything besides the whine/hum. Ah well....waiting for my Jag guy to come back from Britain next week. After he takes a look I'll let ya'll know what the deal is.

Calico; I don't think anyone buys a Jag for the economical benefits. I bought a brand new Alfa Romeo Giulietta 170bhp MA which are, of course, laden with problems. However, they are super fun to drive on European roads!

I've always preferred cars with "character" to the angry kitchen appliances I see on the roads these days. My last car here in the US was a new, at the time, 08 Mustang. I loved the car but hated all the plastic.

And FYI; My Jag guy assures me that as long as you treat your jag properly i.e. maintenance etc they will run like champs for a long, long time. He says what mainly kills a Jag is doing the opposite and/or taking them to "cheaper" mechanics with no proper Jag knowledge. My guy, Bob, has been working on Jag and Land Rover for over 16 years, professionally.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by SBJAG
Thanks Daddio. It would be strange if it was my AC because I just had the O rings replaced due to some leakage. However, there is no "shuddering" or anything besides the whine/hum. Ah well....waiting for my Jag guy to come back from Britain next week. After he takes a look I'll let ya'll know what the deal is.

Calico; I don't think anyone buys a Jag for the economical benefits. I bought a brand new Alfa Romeo Giulietta 170bhp MA which are, of course, laden with problems. However, they are super fun to drive on European roads!

I've always preferred cars with "character" to the angry kitchen appliances I see on the roads these days. My last car here in the US was a new, at the time, 08 Mustang. I loved the car but hated all the plastic.

And FYI; My Jag guy assures me that as long as you treat your jag properly i.e. maintenance etc they will run like champs for a long, long time. He says what mainly kills a Jag is doing the opposite and/or taking them to "cheaper" mechanics with no proper Jag knowledge. My guy, Bob, has been working on Jag and Land Rover for over 16 years, professionally.
Thats utter Twoddle ! (in a britsh, posh west country accent) There badly designed cars, they have nice leather and look great for a sedan) but its a complete undisputed fact that these cars are absolute trash on wheels, the engines are weak, the transmission is even weaker and the electronics are garbage. Go by and Jag repair shop and every single lane, every ramp, every lift is full of jags having the work after work after work done to them, its a never ending money pit and there really not even that much fun to drive, a 08 mustang, LOLZ, another bag of ****!. im not suprised your impressed with the jag, ALPHA, lolz a luxury Fiat, ha ha ha, have fun.

Its not the point about the charicter of the vehicle here, Im british and chose to buy a Jag in the USA so i could drive round and feel like James Bond.. but not for very long, and its not much fun when your constantly listening for something to go wrong, the car loses its freedom. So instead i ended up a broke *** bitch having some Mexicans limping the car away of the drive way at a "get rid of " price. belive me, over the years ive learned a few things, USA production cars are garbage and its few and far between to find a decent one that came out, and the jag in term, is the worst of the worst of the USA production and design, it was just built in Coventry and a ZF tranny slapped on it, then shipped back, with a queens stamp in the log book and MADE IN GB on the production stickers. But the simle truth is, its utter Rubbish and for anybody owning one expect to pay 70% of the price you paid on it on repairs and only expect to drive it every other month to be fair, Go German or JAP and stay that way forever. have fun Driving and spending your money else where.

And id just to like to finish by saying, stop wasting your time looking for DIY fixs on these cars, it doesn't matter what you do, its futile, as you climb over one bump in the road another one with be right round the bend, Let me be clear, Clarkson on TOPGEAR is just a too proud British **** that still thinks its world war II or something, BMW ****'s all over Jaguar so does VW/Audi.

Last edited by calico-uk; 03-31-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:05 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

>Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not really surprised by that...
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Quick Reply: Sound clip of the whining noise, please listen.