Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspending options '02 50k miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 12:40 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Lightbulb Suspension options '02 50k miles

Hi all,

I read many threads here and noticed one mention of Thermo'so suggestion to use adjustable struts from the Volvo. I was unable to find that thread but wondered about the details and requirements of that solution.

Currently on touring suspension but want to do some maintenance; and mods where it makes sense. As a former racer (motorcycles) I appreciate quality hardware, but want to keep some comfort for the ladies (over 40 so they like it softer )

In summary, I would like to improve stability and handling but not lose too much comfort. Here's my newbie questions. Feedback is appreciated:
- Pretty sure the shocks need replacing but I'm looking for something between the bilsteins B4 and B6.
- I will use Ehrlich springs to lower the ride
- Keep the current rims (16 1/2) for comfort
- I will replace bushings, control arms, but not sure exactly what to focus on

Its gonna cost 700 to get at the suspension so want to do what I can while there. Total budget is 2.5k, first pass. In Los Angeles

Thanks all in advance

Last edited by Jag4; 08-17-2016 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 08-17-2016, 01:27 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

OH, you mean: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...rol-arm-88530/

When it comes to replacing bushings and whatnot, everyone I know will tell you to go with poly pushings. They will outlast the car and give you the ride that you are after. The problem that you are going to run into though is no one really makes bushings for the car. So, what you will end up doing is pulling out a micrometer and measuring each bushing and finding one that has the same dimensions (or very close). From there, you can trim a little off of a bushing to make it work.

In some cases, you are not going to have an option. For example, the bushing on the back of the front control arm is an integral part of the A-arm. So, there is no bushing that can be put in it. But, you go with something like say the bushings on the upper control arms in the rear, then yes, you do have options. Another spot that is going to be a no go is the lower control arm with the special joint that has the spacers built into the joint (forget if it is the inside or outside joint). This is where you are going to have to do some measuring and looking to find what you need. I have bought bushings from "Energy Suspensions" and they have been quality parts without killing the bank.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
OH, you mean: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...rol-arm-88530/

When it comes to replacing bushings and whatnot, everyone I know will tell you to go with poly pushings. They will outlast the car and give you the ride that you are after. The problem that you are going to run into though is no one really makes bushings for the car. So, what you will end up doing is pulling out a micrometer and measuring each bushing and finding one that has the same dimensions (or very close). From there, you can trim a little off of a bushing to make it work.

In some cases, you are not going to have an option. For example, the bushing on the back of the front control arm is an integral part of the A-arm. So, there is no bushing that can be put in it. But, you go with something like say the bushings on the upper control arms in the rear, then yes, you do have options. Another spot that is going to be a no go is the lower control arm with the special joint that has the spacers built into the joint (forget if it is the inside or outside joint). This is where you are going to have to do some measuring and looking to find what you need. I have bought bushings from "Energy Suspensions" and they have been quality parts without killing the bank.
That's clearly doable. Thank you.

Old 08-19-2016, 08:20 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

There are a lot of different parts that fit our x-types, but you'll have to search under other car names to see variety, fit, and availability. For instance looking for adjustable upper rear control arms I searched using Volvo S40 model and bought these;

Lightweight Hashimoto 2005 2011 Volvo V50 Adjustable Camber Control Arm Kit Blue | eBay

If you're thinking of lowering and you are in need of struts and shocks Eibach and Bilstein have a co product the B-12 which is a matched set of lowering springs with the B-8 struts and shocks. It's unavailable here in the states, but you can get them in England, or better yet Germany. For some reason they think the x-type is an old man's car not a sporting car, funny I am an old man. I guess they're right. Here's a link although I bought mine direct from Bilstein for a little bit less.

Eibach Bilstein B12 Suspension Kit for Jaguar x Type Pro Kit JAE90450020122 30 3 | eBay

Actually with the recent fall in the British pound it might be cheaper to buy from one of the British Shops. It looks like the Tire Rack sells B-12, but I think they're for BMW's, maybe they would look at getting a set for the Jaguar.

I've heard of people putting their own "B-12 kit" together by using the Eibach performance springs with Bilstein B-6's, but not advisable according to Bilstein. The problem being that the B-6 is designed for a car that hasn't been lowered and putting them on one that has changes geometry.

BTW. I live here in the L.A. area, and if you want to test drive the x-type with the B-12 to see if it's comfortable enough for the womenfolk, let me know.

Last edited by hobbs; 08-19-2016 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Corrections and new info.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by hobbs
There are a lot of different parts that fit our x-types, but you'll have to search under other car names to see variety, fit, and availability. For instance looking for adjustable upper rear control arms I searched using Volvo S40 model and bought these;

Lightweight Hashimoto 2005 2011 Volvo V50 Adjustable Camber Control Arm Kit Blue | eBay

Thanks I bought a pair

If you're thinking of lowering and you are in need of struts and shocks Eibach and Bilstein have a co product the B-12 which is a matched set of lowering springs with the B-8 struts and shocks. It's unavailable here in the states

Eibach Bilstein B12 Suspension Kit for Jaguar x Type Pro Kit JAE90450020122 30 3 | eBay

I didn't find anything online much cheaper

BTW. I live here in the L.A. area, and if you want to test drive the x-type with the B-12 to see if it's comfortable enough for the womenfolk, let me know.
I'm certain the HD billteins are way too stiff. But i should at least test them. I'm leaning towards b4 sports and progressive lowering springs. Can't find polyurethanebushings for the jag though

Last edited by Jag4; 08-21-2016 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:33 PM

I don't find the ride too stiff, but then I don't have to be concerned with other peoples opinions. Actually, when I put them on, I was surprised at how smooth they were.

IMHO, it's a personal taste issue. Send me a PM if you want to take it for a ride and find out for sure.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jag4
Can't find polyurethane bushings for the jag though
My experience is like Thermo's, Energy Suspensions is the only place I found where you can get full sets, but you have to do the measurements. Let us know if you find someone else who stocks them.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:25 AM
Default Bilstein B12 and Poly Bushings for Sale

My experience is like Thermo's, Energy Suspensions is the only place I found where you can get full sets, but you have to do the measurements. Let us know if you find someone else who stocks them.
Hobbs, Thanks for your feedback. I was not able to find the bushing sets at Energy Suspensions. However, I did find both a decent price for the Bilstein B12s and Poly bushings here:

www.dcperformance.co.uk

Feedback on DCPerformance bushings is welcome.

Last edited by Jag4; 08-27-2016 at 10:27 AM. Reason: To include more information
Old 09-02-2016, 09:40 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Jag4 They don't sale them as a set, like Thermo said and I have contact them befor, you have to measure the inside and out side diameters and the width of each bushing, and find one that same dimensions from their catalog.

Old 09-03-2016, 09:08 AM
Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I got a complete polyurethane kit off Ebay from a UK seller. I'll look up the seller info if you need it. Took a while to get and it wasn't cheap but excellent quality bushing. The only bushings I didn't use were the upper rear arm bushings, the lower forward arm bushings, and the sway bar bushings as I went with a custom adjustable solid mount design on all of them. It even came with both front and rear hub carrier bushings, which I think are one of the most beneficial bushings for the x type, it feels like it got rid of a lot of that rear end "sway" a lot of people post about.

2500 for upgrades is plenty man, a lot can happen on that budget. PM me and I will give you some ideas or pointers if you're interested.

Old 09-03-2016, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by X-TypeMentality
I got a complete polyurethane kit off Ebay from a UK seller. I'll look up the seller info if you need it. Took a while to get and it wasn't cheap but excellent quality bushing. The only bushings I didn't use were the upper rear arm bushings, the lower forward arm bushings, and the sway bar bushings as I went with a custom adjustable solid mount design on all of them. It even came with both front and rear hub carrier bushings, which I think are one of the most beneficial bushings for the x type, it feels like it got rid of a lot of that rear end "sway" a lot of people post about.

2500 for upgrades is plenty man, a lot can happen on that budget. PM me and I will give you some ideas or pointers if you're interested.
@x-typeMentality Id appreciate some pointers. I'll PM you x-typeMentality. The bushings are key. To me, this car must feel and ride right to be that jewel of a jaguar it promises.

I found this place in USA for polyurethane bushings. http://powerflexusa.com/xtype2001-2009.aspx. What m am I missing?

I need a specific list of the suspension parts and bushings that should be replaced when I upgrade the suspension. The bilstein B12s are on the way. The B12s are made in Germany and are custom made to fit the Eibach pro kit. I'm sure everyone knows that. BTW the parts dude at Tirerite said the Biltein had approved the US B8s for the Eibach pro kit. Seemed strange to me.

I drove up the West Coast today. 500 miles. In 90o weather. Could use a bit more bottom end up the hills, but overall a solid, smooth and comfortable ride. But when you hit some choppy road the car feels like a raddle trap. Not cool.

Old 11-18-2016, 02:48 PM
Default Question about Rear Upper Control Arm

@Hobbs - I just noticed this: You mentioned looking for Volvo S40 but linked to the S50. Was this intentional? Did you install the S50s? I purchased the V50s, not V40.

My mechanic is working on this today. I need to reference the source I guess.

Old 11-20-2016, 10:48 AM
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

If you are going to replace your lower rear control arms I would be interested in your old arms. I am working on a project to fit Poly bushings in them and need some test parts.

I will pay for the shipping.

See my old post on this

Larry

Last edited by Larry-Cleveland; 11-20-2016 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:47 PM
Post Update: Suspension Options '02

Test drove my car after most of the planned upgrades and it now rides like a different car. Gone is the general rattling and crashing over bumps. I can still hear and feel the bumps, but it's the road I hear and feel, not the car mettle crashing. Here is what I've done so far:
  • Rear upper and lower control arms
  • Rear and forward stabilizer bar linkage pieces
  • Biltein B12 Pro Kit (from UK tuned for X-Type, not the US version)
  • Front strut mounts and bearings

FYI The bushings were shot in every case. My mechanic also said the strut mounts were all f****'d up.

Thanks to @Thermo, @Hobbs, and especially @X-TypeMentality for their direction. So, in all cases, I purchased upgrade replacements, as suggested.

Pics should show most of the list.

Total cost of parts: $1,550
Total installation labor: $1,000

I shopped around for and bought everything at the lowest possible prices.

I'll do a complete write-up once complete.

Last edited by Jag4; 11-20-2016 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Add detail
Old 11-20-2016, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Larry-Cleveland
If you are going to replace your lower rear control arms I would be interested in your old arms. I am working on a project to fit Poly bushings in them and need some test parts.

I will pay for the shipping.

See my old post on this

Larry
Sure. I'll reach out to you once I finish.

Old 11-20-2016, 01:52 PM

@Hobbs - I just noticed this: You mentioned looking for Volvo S40 but linked to the S50. Was this intentional? Did you install the S50s? I purchased the V50s, not V40.

My mechanic is working on this today. I need to reference the source I guess.
@Hobbs, @Thermo -

Nevermind, I read Thermo's write up and it seems the V50s are OK.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:38 AM
Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Very nice. Enjoy the new ride!

No problem on the help man and sorry I couldn't be more reachable at times. It looks like you have done your own valuable research anyways! 👍

The following users liked this post:
Jag4 (11-21-2016)
Old 11-25-2016, 06:01 PM

@Hobbs, @Thermo -

Nevermind, I read Thermo's write up and it seems the V50s are OK.
Jag4,

My apologies for taking so long to get back to you. I see Thermo pointed out that the V50's work as well as the S40.

I guess I found the wrong link when I wrote that earlier. Below is the link I actually bought mine from, same company, and basically the same arm just that I ordered them in blue. Pricing is a bit different.

Sorry for any confusion.

2004-Up Volvo S40 C30 V40 V50 Adjustable Upper Rear Camber Control Arm Kit Race | eBay

Jag4 (11-26-2016)
Old 11-26-2016, 03:38 PM

I'm glad I stopped where I have and looked at this thread (below), again. Since I still need to replace some of the parts listed here...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...us-far-113706/

...and it doesn't look like too much more work/money - even for a novice... poor boy like me. My next upgrade phase will include [some] of the custom parts mentioned above.

Last edited by Jag4; 11-27-2016 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Clarify
chknhwk (04-30-2017)