X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Symptoms of a MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor?

Old 05-11-2009, 03:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Symptoms of a MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor?

Anybody know the symptoms of a bad MAF?

Old 05-11-2009, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

I think you should see "Check Engine"light first and then when you connect a code reader it should throw you a code associated w/ MAF Sensor .

Old 05-11-2009, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

An engine with a bad MAF sensor may be hard to start or stall after starting. It may hesitate under load, surge, idle rough or run excessively rich or lean. The engine may
also hiccup when the throttle suddenly changes position.

The following users liked this post:
Dnga8 (09-28-2013)
Old 05-11-2009, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by racerx82
An engine with a bad MAF sensor may be hard to start or stall after starting. It may hesitate under load, surge, idle rough or run excessively rich or lean. The engine may
also hiccup when the throttle suddenly changes position.
Yeah that was happening, the code was P0174. I replaced the MAF sensor and the "Check Engine" light is still on.... Less of the symptoms you mentioned but they still do happen but not as much.

uumm could it be the computer now? Should i delete the code so the computer will say "ITS FIXED" I can use it now, or is it totally another issue?

Old 05-11-2009, 08:13 PM
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

P0174 is Bank 2 combustion too lean. Did you check for air leaks at the intake manifold O-rings or intake tuning valves?

Read this post and all the links in it...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=3726

Last edited by MarkC; 05-11-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by MarkC
P0174 is Bank 2 combustion too lean. Did you check for air leaks at the intake manifold O-rings or intake tuning valves?

Read this post and all the links in it...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=3726
That thread is on the right track of my problem, Are there any pictures of where the intake tuning valves are at so i can replace them? Same with o-rings, I'm not that tech savy but I have done a lot of work on the car myself by **** load of research. If i know where it's at I can do it easily.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The tuning valves are the two big black things poking out the left side of your intake. Replace the "O" rings.

If that doesn't do it, you'll have to remove the intake and replace all the individual gaskets.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

If it's the IMTs you will probably be able to hear a hissing sound. Also check the PCV hose for a bottom side split and the brake boost check valve for deterioration. Search the 0174 code on the forum and you'll get a ****load of information. Being an '03, if your X-Type hasn't had these three things replaced, they will need to be. The new IMT o-rings are green, the new PCV hose is "ribbed" (not for pleasure) and the brake boost hose has a heat sealed check valve.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by mohrd
If it's the IMTs you will probably be able to hear a hissing sound. Also check the PCV hose for a bottom side split and the brake boost check valve for deterioration. Search the 0174 code on the forum and you'll get a ****load of information. Being an '03, if your X-Type hasn't had these three things replaced, they will need to be. The new IMT o-rings are green, the new PCV hose is "ribbed" (not for pleasure) and the brake boost hose has a heat sealed check valve.
So the new IMT O Rings, i have to take of the intake manifold? Or is it the circle on the side of the manifold that I have to unscrew and put the rings in?

Old 05-13-2009, 08:36 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

No the intake does not have to come off to replace them. Here is a pic:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=16235

Old 01-15-2010, 09:17 PM

i have a problem with my car stalling, does this mean that i might be having a problem with my mass air flow sensor? if it is, how much am i looking at?

Last edited by daviddrift; 01-19-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:52 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I had to take my X type to an Import car shop and they did a computer diagnostic ($98.00) about all and my MAF sensor is bad and they said that the computer needs to be restarted after the install, they will do the job for me for $305.00 I am wondering if I can replace the Maf sensor myself. Also my check engine light it is not present any more after said diagnostic was performed, so I do not know what to do, any advise???

Originally Posted by htkenan
Yeah that was happening, the code was P0174. I replaced the MAF sensor and the "Check Engine" light is still on.... Less of the symptoms you mentioned but they still do happen but not as much.

uumm could it be the computer now? Should i delete the code so the computer will say "ITS FIXED" I can use it now, or is it totally another issue?

Old 12-09-2011, 08:12 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

rf69, yes, you can replace the MAF yourself. It is nothing more than 2 screws and an electrical plug. If I remember right, you only need a phillips screw driver. Worst case, you will need to spend $10-15 on a set of torx screw drivers (good to have with modern cars anyways). Undo 2 screws, undo the plug, pull the MAF out of the intake, toss out the old, put the new in the hole, install 2 screws and make up the electrical plug. The only additional step I would say is to then remove the negative battery cable and let the car sit for 5 minutes. This will erase any memory for the ECU. After the 5 minutes, reconnect the battery lead and run the car. Your problem should be solved.

On a side note, when you disconnect the battery, this will erase the programming for the power windows. To reprogram, lower 1 window at a time, holding the button down till it reaches full travel and then continue holding the button down for an additional 3 seconds. Raise the window and hold the button up till the window is fully closed, continue to hold the button up for an additional 3 seconds. Repeat for the other windows.

The following users liked this post:
muad'dib (07-18-2022)
Old 12-09-2011, 09:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My car did a similar thing, i replaced upper and lower gaskets and spark plugs- and it was fixed- not hard at all - takes a cple hours the first time - you may want to consider changing spark plugs if you haven't done it in a while (dbl platinum only) as if you have the intake manifold off anyways. there is a great post on the forums on how to remove the intake manifold.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:38 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks

Originally Posted by Thermo
rf69, yes, you can replace the MAF yourself. It is nothing more than 2 screws and an electrical plug. If I remember right, you only need a phillips screw driver. Worst case, you will need to spend $10-15 on a set of torx screw drivers (good to have with modern cars anyways). Undo 2 screws, undo the plug, pull the MAF out of the intake, toss out the old, put the new in the hole, install 2 screws and make up the electrical plug. The only additional step I would say is to then remove the negative battery cable and let the car sit for 5 minutes. This will erase any memory for the ECU. After the 5 minutes, reconnect the battery lead and run the car. Your problem should be solved.

On a side note, when you disconnect the battery, this will erase the programming for the power windows. To reprogram, lower 1 window at a time, holding the button down till it reaches full travel and then continue holding the button down for an additional 3 seconds. Raise the window and hold the button up till the window is fully closed, continue to hold the button up for an additional 3 seconds. Repeat for the other windows.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:51 PM
Unhappy

I replaced in my X type the sparks plugs with Premium Bosch Iridium and it is written on the box DO NOT GAP so better for me but after a while driving my car around the block I noticed my engine hesitating like dying and the check engine light on I opened my hood and heard a hissing sound coming from the upper intake or vacuum I red some posts here and I believe it is the o- ring because I already replace the MAF sensor and the check engine light disappeared, Anyways I took my Jag to an Advance Autoparts shop and the codes said misfired cylinder 2 and 4 at this point I do not know what to think I am going to replace the O- ring and them see if I have a bad ignititon coil

Originally Posted by mralston69
My car did a similar thing, i replaced upper and lower gaskets and spark plugs- and it was fixed- not hard at all - takes a cple hours the first time - you may want to consider changing spark plugs if you haven't done it in a while (dbl platinum only) as if you have the intake manifold off anyways. there is a great post on the forums on how to remove the intake manifold.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:59 PM

Any Pics about the PCV or IMTs which I do not know the meaning of it

Old 12-29-2011, 01:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Open the hood, and stand on the passenger side of the engine compartment. Look at the intake manifold (the heavy metal object on the top of your engine). On the side of that object nearest you, you will see two black circles that each have wires connected to them and two screws on opposite sides of the circles. One sites above the other. They slide out after you take the screws out and would slide directly towards where you are standing. Hope this helps.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:31 AM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Don’t know if this is relevant or helpful, but I had a problem with my Range Rover which manifested itself by a gradual (over time) creeping up of the speed at which the ZF box would drop into top, particularly on light throttle. It usually will do so at about 60kph, but crept up to almost 80kpk.

I took it in (twice) to the franchise dealership who charged me $100 each time to put it on ‘testbook’, and they absolutely insisted that the problem was a mechanical fault in the box which would have to be removed and overhauled. $3800 later and the bloody problem reappears. The damned car struggled to pull a household trailer over our gateway bridge (1.67klms long rising 78m high over the Brisbane river).

In frustration I took it in to my local mechanic’s workshop, and he put ‘autologic’ on it. Took him less than 5 minutes all up to tell me that the MAF was faulty. The computer was reading ‘insufficient power’ and holding back the gear changes to compensate. $396 & 2 minutes to fix. I’m about to drag the Franchise Dealer into Tribunal to get my $3800 back.

Cheers,

Languid