X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 09:10 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Question tires

I am in need of tires on my 2003 X. In the owners manual it says to use only Continental tires. Is this a fact? I want to use P7's. Presently I have Conti pro contacts on the car now.

Last edited by Adam Lueb; 07-04-2016 at 09:12 AM. Reason: ad text
Old 07-04-2016, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

On my x-type and my XK I run Nitto Motivo's and when the XJ need tires I will use Nitto Motivo's. I like the feel and no road noise whine.

Old 07-04-2016, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

You can use any brand you want. We have two XTypes. On one I have Michelin Pilot tires, which are ok. On the other, Kumho kh16 tires, which are better: smooth, quiet, excellent in wet conditions, and handsome. both are better than the original Continentals. It is the size and speed rating that are the main factors, not the brand.

The following users liked this post:
Jag4 (06-10-2021)
Old 08-27-2016, 11:03 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm wondering what kind of mileage other X Type owners are getting from various brand tires. I have Kumho ECXTA Sport 225/45ZR17 tires on now that I bought Feb 2014. Today they have 20K miles on them.

I didn't do regular rotating of the tires bc they are directional and so to truly rotate them every 5K miles, they would all have to come off the rims and that's a lot more involved compared with non-rotational tires, where you can swap the wheels side to side front to back at will.

At about 14K miles the fronts had worn almost all the tread down on the inside 2" of the tire's road surface. The other 5" or so of tire surface seemed to wear evenly and still had plenty of tread. So the inside of the fronts were bald. At this point I had a shop dismount the tires from the rims and rotate them, taking these two front tires and crisscrossing them to the rear, and moving the rears straight to the front. The rears had wore pretty evenly and also had plenty of tread left.

I am now at 20K miles on this set of tires and considering new ones, but, I figure I should have gotten more miles out of these. Btw, I did have a four wheel alignment done when these tires were new.
If you look at the rear tires, which were the fronts until 6K miles ago, that worn out section doesn’t seem to touch the road when driving. My gf can drive a stick, so following her as she drove my car and I drove her truck, I could see that the outer edge of the rear tires don’t touch the road surface while driving straight. That worn out edge of the now rear tires, curves up and doesn’t see wear until the car hits a turn. I took some pics tonight. My tires are low on air, they are at about 26 psi but should be more like 31 psi. I will fix that tomorrow.

If I stretch it, I might get another 10K miles from this set of tires, but that's only 30K miles! That said, Kumho tires are only about $100 each on Tire Rack.

Rear tires that were in the front 6K miles ago have bald outer edges

Front tires that used to be rears 6K miles ago look more evenly worn, but not great!

Old 08-28-2016, 06:21 AM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

Patterson.
For the rear I highly recommend Thermos fix.
this will sort you out.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...rol-arm-88530/

on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Upper-C...NXmNtY&vxp=mtr

Old 06-10-2021, 09:34 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

You 100% percent need an all season or 3+ season tire.. Any of the better performance all season tires are going to be plenty good for what you want. I have an F type have raced cars my whole life & don't think of my F type as a track car.. Fun to drive at speed & potentially on the track? Yes. A true "track car"? - not in my opinion.

And obviously if you were going to track seriously you should have a separate set of tires. But for driving up to 9/10, (& presuming you're using 20") you are going to find like the Potenza RE980AS or Continental extreme contact DWS06+ to be absolutely fine & not get greasy (aka scary!) in sub-40º temps. If those Pilots come out in all season for both front and back, they would be considerations also. But if you need tires in a couple weeks I'd go with one of these two. Good luck! 😀

Old 06-10-2021, 12:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just finished this exercise, and I chose Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Season Plus. I looked at the Michelin 4s as well, it seemed awesome if you want them for summer. But I've got a few hours on these new Pirelli's now and they seem fantastic. Grip well, very quiet, and reasonably priced for the performance.

Old 06-11-2021, 12:30 PM
Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm putting my second set of Continental DWS 06 tires on this Tuesday (actually the latest version, DWS 06 Plus). I've been very happy with them on every car I've used them on. I considered Pilot Sport AS 4's but couldn't find them in-stock anywhere to fit my 19" wheels and since the Conti's are not only cheaper but have better reviews on many tire sites, I decided to go with them again. I got 30K miles out of the last set with lots of tread depth remaining across most of the tire with the exception of the inner edge (probably a camber alignment issue since it tracks straight as an arrow -- I'll find out on Tuesday). I decided to pull the trigger now since Continental is offering rebates during the month of June.