X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans Fill and Check Locations

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 05:56 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Trans Fill and Check Locations

Found this video on Youtube, just a visual for those who are looking for the Drain plug and level check plug. In this video they show a Jag X type.

The following 2 users liked this post by lynnpt2001:
avern1 (01-08-2017), lee cantrell (01-18-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 06:08 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

He is one of my favorite youtubers. Check out his Chanel, he recently bought an XType then bought a parts car and made one good car between the two. Great tips in general from ChrisFix. He said he is doing a video on repair a trans fluid return line that occurred on the Jag and I can't wait for that.

Last edited by RobinGa; 01-08-2017 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very good post, I have a 06 X type and was wondering about the fluid, I don't know if the tranny fluid has ever been change and the fluid level. Now I can check the fluid level and see what color the fluid is. The Jag has over 100,000 miles on it. The video shows exactly where the plugs are and now I know. Thanks for the posting the video from Chris Fix.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:24 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by lee cantrell
Very good post, I have a 06 X type and was wondering about the fluid, I don't know if the tranny fluid has ever been change and the fluid level. Now I can check the fluid level and see what color the fluid is. The Jag has over 100,000 miles on it. The video shows exactly where the plugs are and now I know. Thanks for the posting the video from Chris Fix.
We also have an '06 x-type.
Changing the transmission fluid was one of the easiest things I've done on the car.

I used an aluminum roasting pan from the dollar store (actually....3 of them)
Was actually able to slip my hand down between the battery box and engine to pull the rubber plug out with my fingers.
Then an old bulb type turkey baster was sacrificed (remove the bulb) and I wrapped it in a shop rag to hold it steady as it was slipped down and into the hole. A funnel into the turkey baster completed the fill setup.

The fluid that came out was not burnt smelling, but definitely past its prime.
Drain, fill, drive for 5 or 10 minutes, and repeat...... and repeat.... done.

Ours had 74k miles on it when I changed it.

Do this.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:19 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The thing about trans fluid changes that amuses me, is that Jaguar don't recommend it at all ! That's absolute BS. Being old and a bit chicken, I paid the dealer to do it at 65.000, the stuff that came out was not burnt, but was way past its best, and definatley worth doing. Respect to you guys who've done it yourselves. Martin.