Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer case oil change write-up now hosted

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 10:25 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Transfer case oil change write-up by Bojangles, now hosted

WWII amphibious vehicle Classified as DUKW, more commonly called the DUCK..Later used in civilian life for boat tours....This is my guess as to what he meant..

Old 01-12-2009, 11:19 AM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: Transfer case oil change write-up by Bojangles, now hosted

ORIGINAL: Dennis

WWII amphibious vehicle Classified as DUKW, more commonly called the DUCK..Later used in civilian life for boat tours....This is my guess as to what he meant..
so, you're saying Real_Tech has one of those? Real_Tech? is that right?

'cuz for me, putting the good oil in the Duck wouldv'e been spelled 'Duc', and would've referred to this:
[/align]or this[/align]
[/align][/align]so I was wunderin' what exactly we were learing about Real_Tech...... [/align][/align]

Old 06-07-2009, 06:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool drain and refill check

Hi guys from across the pond! Have just had to completely change engine in my X, because of susected big or little end going (long story and have other thread on this!), but have got the stage now of sorting out all the fluids - the last one I am doing is the transfer box but would be really grateful of some help on this - I have read the posts, and had a look at the pp slides. The car has been jacked up with front end high, and have undone the drain plug, but nothing at all came out - a bit worrying in the first instance, but then I thought that most of the oil would have come out during engine change - however, have been refiling as per Bojangles instructions, through the drain plug, and have only put in about 110ml of a Millers fluid (http://www.millersoils.net/) which is clear (and smells to high hell!!), before drips of the original pink oil has come out - the car is now jacked up on one side to allow the oil to drip to the other end - is there any way of telling how much oil is actually in there?

Old 06-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 391 Likes on 288 Posts

does this same info pertain to the manual transmision tc...same fluid

Old 10-30-2010, 08:28 PM
Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

FYI, this procedure doesn't seem to work on a 2004.25 3.0 automatic. I have just spent four frustrating hours trying to get a slim ball valve into the drain plug hole.

I realized the problem after looking again at the photos in bojangle's powerpoint. His transmission looks completely different from mine, where his transmission case curves up and away above the drain plug hole, leaving generous space in the drain plug area, my transmission case comes all the way down in front of the transfer case drain plug with only a 1.5 inch long "access hole" in between the drain plug and the side of the transmission. There is no valve in the world that would fit in the available space in mine!

Also, my drain plug has a 3/8" inverse square hole in the bolt. With the ridiculously small space I have to work with, I had to buy a 3/8" u-joint for my socket driver and use the square end of the u-joint to remove the drain plug. No oil came out and there was a large amount of sludge!!!

So now I have to wait till tomorrow to come up with some way to get 550ml of gear oil back into this thing without using a valve, or at least not putting the valve directly at the drain plug hole.

Last edited by Gold_04_X-Type; 10-30-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:46 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gold....maybe you can use a 1/2" to 3/8" reducer with a closed nipple?? Then could use a smaller valve. Just a suggestion.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:56 PM

Ooooooor a reducer then closed nipple and a 45 degree (elbow). Will still be short and will give you an angle then you could even put a plug in it after and leave it in. Just make sure to use teflon paste or "the green stuff" pipe dope.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by I <3 X-Type
Ooooooor a reducer then closed nipple and a 45 degree (elbow). Will still be short and will give you an angle then you could even put a plug in it after and leave it in. Just make sure to use teflon paste or "the green stuff" pipe dope.

I see where your'e going with that, but the space around the drain hole doesn't allow for anything with a 90° elbow to rotate in order to screw in.

I currently have a brass 1/2" to 3/8" reducer, a brass 3/8" ball valve, and a 3/8" nipple that when all attached together measure 3.75 inches long. I am toying with the idea of just stretching the 3/8" tubing over the end of the reducer with it screwed into the TC, but it will be very difficult to get it out and the plug back in without loosing a lot of the fluid.

Here is the photo from bojangles powerpoint:

Name:  bojangles.jpg
Views: 6102
Size:  42.5 KB

And here is mine:

Name:  IMG_2994.jpg
Views: 2903
Size:  40.6 KB

Last edited by Gold_04_X-Type; 10-30-2010 at 09:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
xj8675 (05-16-2013)
Old 10-30-2010, 09:37 PM

GOLD...

LOL. I hear ya. I do a crap ton of piping here at work. Another fitting that may work great is whats called a "street elbow". You can get them in 45 or 90 degrees. Not sure if your familiar with them but they look like a standard elbow but has a threaded end on one side. I think would work perfect.

Or do what your sayin. That may work too. Just gotta be quick and if your like me MURPHYS LAW bites my *** on anything I do. LOL.

Last edited by I <3 X-Type; 10-30-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:55 PM

A 90° street elbow just might do the trick. I'll pick one up at the hardware store in the morning and see if that gets me the clearance I need.

Thanks I <3 X-Type!

Old 10-30-2010, 09:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I decided to try this last week on my '03 3.0l auto. After getting the plug out. The 03 is like the picture Gold posted so there isn't much room to work in. A 3/8" ratchet was to short but was too long with an extension. I ended up using a 1/4" rachet with a 3/8" adaper that fit in the small space.

I got very little oil out like most people have reported but after looking at the transfer case I feel most of the fluid was still in the transfer case. and this looked more like a level check port not a drain. I tried to get a tube in to suck out the oil but didn't have any luck. I didn't feel comfortable putting back more oil than I had gotten out for fear of over filling the transfer case. The oil I did get didn't look bad for a car with over 100k miles it. So I just refilled the small amount I had gotten out and replaced the plug. Now I have to decide if I'm willing to tear the car half apart so I can truly drain the transfercase.

It seems to me from reading this thread that people have been over filling there transfer cases. Can anyone that did this several year ago report whether they had problems that could be contributed to overfilling(leaking seals, etc)?

Old 10-30-2010, 09:58 PM

No problem buddy!!! They sell them at pretty much any hardware store. But some offer different material. See what you think would work as youve had your head under your ride.

Good luck!

Old 10-30-2010, 10:12 PM

Now that I think of it...I believe the level of 600mls can be achieved with that 90 in there facing up and that will hold level above the actual hole leaving you without a mess by simply plugging it with an allan head or any type plug really.

Let me know how it goes cuz im sure everyone can use this!!!

Old 11-19-2010, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

I just tried to do this, but I could only get about 150 ml in the transfer case. I had the car up on jack stands on one side and tried to fill it with a hand pump ($9) I got from my local auto parts store. I used Mobil1 but the fluid started dripping out after 150ml or so. Maby i got 200ml in if I am lucky. I didn't use the drain plug though, I just used the hose that came with the pump. I know a shop that says they can do it for $80. Does that price sound good. Its just a drain and refill.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jaggyx
I just tried to do this, but I could only get about 150 ml in the transfer case. I had the car up on jack stands on one side and tried to fill it with a hand pump ($9) I got from my local auto parts store. I used Mobil1 but the fluid started dripping out after 150ml or so. Maby i got 200ml in if I am lucky. I didn't use the drain plug though, I just used the hose that came with the pump. I know a shop that says they can do it for $80. Does that price sound good. Its just a drain and refill.
The tube that came with the pump won't cut it. You have to create a "sealed" system so you can drive enough fluid in there so that the level rises above the access hole. This is why most have used a valve or other fitting that threads in place of the factory plug to get enough fluid in. Then you can quickly unscrew that and replace the factory plug before too much comes back out.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

Alright, but can you keep the valve thing that people have used in or do you have to take it out and put the old plug in? Because I feel like a would dump out when you unscrew that.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

I also wondered if the valve could be left in place, anyone tried that? and with what results?

Old 05-20-2011, 02:17 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't like linking to another forum but there is a fantastic post on this thread by an owner called astromorg with photos and should answer any questions about transfer boxes.

Jaguar Forum.co.uk &bull; View topic - Transfer box

Old 11-02-2011, 03:05 PM
Default Go to show what I know about AWD

Thanks for the great write up guys! It gave me the confidence to tackle this task. When i went to drain the oil out of the TC nothing came out I have 74,4478 miles on my 2004 3.0L. My jag is an automatic and I ran in to the trouble of trying to find something that would fit in that tight space. I found that a 1/2"OD to 3/8" nipple brass fitting was the only thing i could get in there and attach a tube to it. So as i had the car jacked up on jackstands I filled the TC with oil and engine flush started the car to let the TC work it around and noticed that only my back wheels were turning. I then throttled up to about 12MPH on the spedo, and only one of my front tires was spinning. Is this normal for AWD????

FYI - this freaked me out and the car too CEL & ABS light came on. So i decided that i would drop the car back down drive it around the block a time or two jack it up drain the oil. Then fill the TC again....I did this two more times. 3 flushes and a final fill with 75W-140 Gear oil. All and all it took me a good 4 hrs to do this cause of the process of lifting and lowering. all i have is a floor jack and jack stands. Worth it though now that I have piece of mind that there is oil in the TC. Plus the ABS and CEL lights have gone off

Quick Reply: Transfer case oil change write-up now hosted