X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Drain.Fill procedure FAQ

Old 10-11-2010, 01:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Transmission Drain.Fill procedure FAQ

Can soneone kindly post pics of fill plug and drain plug for a 2002 jaguar x type 2.5l auto tranny. i read most post reference oil drain and fill but am still not clear. my x type is a left hand drive.

What i do know is this.

1. there is a hex screw behind the battery that can be accessed using a funnel and tubing. Is this the fill plug?

2.where exactly is the drain plug? (photo would be nice)

3.where exactly is the fluid check level?(photo would be nice)

also remember that i have a left hand drive and automatic tranny. any assisstance would be appreciated.
thanks

The following 2 users liked this post by satwarez:
j-fly (06-19-2012), Moeketsi (11-01-2023)

Top Answer

10-11-2010, 01:45 PM
Gold_04_X-Type
Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

Here is a link to the Alldata fluid check procedure:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/rm...type_Fluid.pdf

Here is the JTIS fluid drain & refill procedure:

Transmission Fluid Drain and Refill
  • Raise and support the vehicle
  • Place a suitable container under the transmission drain plug
  • Remove the transmission drain plug
  • Install the transmission drain plug; Tighten to 45 Nm
  • Lower the vehicle
  • Remove the automatic transmission fluid charging pipe cap
  • Use automatic transmission fluid WSS-M2C922-A1 or equivalent meeting Jaguar specification
  • Fill the automatic transmission with up to 8 litres of automatic transmission fluid through the automatic transmission fluid charging pipe
  • Carry out a fluid level check and adjustment
Transmission Fluid Level Check
  • Make sure J-Gate shift selector is in the Park position
  • With the engine running and the foot brake applied, move the J-Gate shift selector through ' P-R-N-D-4-3-2' and back to the ' P' position to circulate the automatic transmission fluid until the temperature reaches 30 to 40°C (86 to 104°F)
  • When the automatic transmission fluid temperature reaches 35°C (95°F) check that the selector lever is in the ' P' position raise the vehicle
  • With the engine running, remove the automatic transmission fluid level tube plug, Remove and discard the level plug and sealing washer
  • Use automatic transmission fluid WSS-M2C922-A1 or equivalent meeting Jaguar specification
  • If the automatic transmission fluid does not come out of the transmission fluid level tube the automatic transmission fluid level is insufficient. If this is the case add the automatic transmission fluid in 0.5 litre units into the automatic transmission fluid charging pipe until the automatic transmission fluid comes out of the automatic transmission fluid level tube
  • Make sure the automatic transmission fluid temperature does not exceed 40°C (104°F). If the automatic transmission fluid temperature does exceed 40°C (104°F) stop the automatic transmission fluid level check and allow the automatic transmission fluid to cool until the temperature reaches 30 to 40°C (86 to 104°F).
  • Allow the automatic transmission fluid to come out of the automatic transmission fluid level tube until the overflow stops at a temperature of no more than 40°C (104°F).
  • If when the automatic transmission fluid level plug is first removed and automatic transmission fluid comes out of the automatic transmission fluid level tube, allow the automatic transmission fluid to come out of the automatic transmission fluid level tube until the overflow stops at a temperature of no more than 40°C (104°F).
  • Install the transmission fluid level plug, Install a new level plug and sealing washer, Tighten to 15 Nm
  • Install the automatic transmission fluid charging pipe cap
  • Lower the vehicle
Here are some pictures to help locate the drain, fill, and level check plugs:

Name:  X-Type_Auto_Trans_Drain_Plug.jpg
Views: 31124
Size:  121.8 KB
1. Transmission Drain Plug (bolt)

Name:  X-Type_Auto_Trans_Fill_Plug.jpg
Views: 23011
Size:  151.8 KB
2. Transmission Fill Plug (Rubber Bung)

Name:  X-Type_Auto_Trans_Level_Check_Plug.jpg
Views: 23934
Size:  133.1 KB
3. Transmission Level Check Plug (bolt)

Last edited by Gold_04_X-Type; 10-11-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:45 PM

Here is a link to the Alldata fluid check procedure:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/rm...type_Fluid.pdf

Here is the JTIS fluid drain & refill procedure:

Transmission Fluid Drain and Refill
  • Raise and support the vehicle
  • Place a suitable container under the transmission drain plug
  • Remove the transmission drain plug
  • Install the transmission drain plug; Tighten to 45 Nm
  • Lower the vehicle
  • Fill the automatic transmission with up to 8 litres of automatic transmission fluid through the automatic transmission fluid charging pipe
  • Carry out a fluid level check and adjustment
Transmission Fluid Level Check
  • Make sure J-Gate shift selector is in the Park position
  • With the engine running and the foot brake applied, move the J-Gate shift selector through ' P-R-N-D-4-3-2' and back to the ' P' position to circulate the automatic transmission fluid until the temperature reaches 30 to 40°C (86 to 104°F)
  • When the automatic transmission fluid temperature reaches 35°C (95°F) check that the selector lever is in the ' P' position raise the vehicle
  • With the engine running, remove the automatic transmission fluid level tube plug, Remove and discard the level plug and sealing washer
  • If the automatic transmission fluid does not come out of the transmission fluid level tube the automatic transmission fluid level is insufficient. If this is the case add the automatic transmission fluid in 0.5 litre units into the automatic transmission fluid charging pipe until the automatic transmission fluid comes out of the automatic transmission fluid level tube
  • Make sure the automatic transmission fluid temperature does not exceed 40°C (104°F). If the automatic transmission fluid temperature does exceed 40°C (104°F) stop the automatic transmission fluid level check and allow the automatic transmission fluid to cool until the temperature reaches 30 to 40°C (86 to 104°F).
  • Allow the automatic transmission fluid to come out of the automatic transmission fluid level tube until the overflow stops at a temperature of no more than 40°C (104°F).
  • If when the automatic transmission fluid level plug is first removed and automatic transmission fluid comes out of the automatic transmission fluid level tube, allow the automatic transmission fluid to come out of the automatic transmission fluid level tube until the overflow stops at a temperature of no more than 40°C (104°F).
  • Install the transmission fluid level plug, Install a new level plug and sealing washer, Tighten to 15 Nm
  • Install the automatic transmission fluid charging pipe cap
  • Lower the vehicle
Here are some pictures to help locate the drain, fill, and level check plugs:

Attachment 176407
1. Transmission Drain Plug (bolt)

Attachment 176408
2. Transmission Fill Plug (Rubber Bung)

Attachment 176409
3. Transmission Level Check Plug (bolt)

Last edited by Gold_04_X-Type; 10-11-2010 at 02:55 PM.
The following 30 users liked this post by Gold_04_X-Type:
avisjaguar (05-01-2017), bbzee (05-15-2017), Capnjack (07-16-2012), carlstev (08-16-2011), Cash Jackson (02-14-2016), dharry078 (11-25-2019), Dorian Reinauer (08-23-2012), Dr dome (08-09-2013), geewilicurs (01-06-2017), Ian D (06-06-2013), jaidank (02-21-2017), Jesse Lackman (10-09-2012), jjd247247 (02-22-2015), Kiknazz (11-10-2012), Lcgi (11-04-2012), leve (05-02-2013), Moeketsi (11-01-2023), newtojags (07-31-2014), PanamaJag (07-18-2014), pastor (10-29-2017), pnfootitt (09-18-2022), Poglix (04-24-2013), railroader7406 (09-01-2011), Redthing (06-15-2013), rf69 (01-14-2012), sdettra (03-03-2013), Sparkchaser36 (11-22-2012), Squeek49 (02-13-2013), tjandy (01-29-2013), whatshappening01 (09-28-2021) and 25 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-11-2010, 03:08 PM

Wow!! Thanks alot. that was much helpful. will try and attempt fluid drain and refill. thanks a million.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:38 PM

Ok i understand everything except the fluid check level plug. on the photo above it shos a hex head and on the link below it shows a allen head which means an allen wrench is required. can some clarify this for me. thanks much .http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/rm...type_Fluid.pdf

Old 10-11-2010, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by satwarez
Ok i understand everything except the fluid check level plug. on the photo above it shos a hex head and on the link below it shows a allen head which means an allen wrench is required. can some clarify this for me. thanks much .http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/rm...type_Fluid.pdf
Well, the photo in my previous post I took this morning is of my `04. I don't know if they are all hex head but mine certainly appears to be.

Best bet would be to jack `er up and take a peek.

The following 2 users liked this post by Gold_04_X-Type:
GLH (10-29-2014), Lcgi (12-12-2012)
Old 10-12-2010, 03:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Thanks , FAQed

Old 10-12-2010, 11:22 AM

Ok thanks guys . i checked it out and it has an allen head. Am also using the Mercon 5 ATF. Was advised to do so by my local ford dealer. will let u know how it goes

Old 10-12-2010, 12:59 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Atf

I don't know if Mercon 5 meets the spec or not, but Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF does, and it is a very cost-effective fluid as well.

When you remove the drain plug, you will not get all 9 quarts to come out. Unless the transmission has been overfilled, only 3 quarts will come out at a time. You can then re-install the plug, and add 3 quarts. Drive it for a day or two, and repeat this procedure until the fluid looks clean and red.

This procedure has been described on the Roadfly Website, and several of us have used it successfully.

The following 4 users liked this post by JaguarKnight:
bbzee (05-15-2017), geewilicurs (01-04-2017), Kiknazz (11-10-2012), Lcgi (11-04-2012)
Old 11-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Too bad Gold_04_X-Type's photos (bottom of post #2) are no longer available.

I've read that some folks have mistaken the check level plug with another bolt on the case nearby it and once they turned that bolt, their transmission no longer had any reverse.

Mine's about the age where I am ready to drain and refill my transmission, so those photos would have come in very handy!

Old 11-08-2010, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by TheSeeker
Too bad Gold_04_X-Type's photos (bottom of post #2) are no longer available.

I've read that some folks have mistaken the check level plug with another bolt on the case nearby it and once they turned that bolt, their transmission no longer had any reverse.

Mine's about the age where I am ready to drain and refill my transmission, so those photos would have come in very handy!
The pictures are still available and they show up when I view this thread. Is anyone else not seeing the pics?

Old 11-08-2010, 08:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Am also using the Mercon 5 ATF. Was advised to do so by my local ford dealer. will let u know how it goes
I cannot find the post now, it seems it was by a Jag Tech who said the only transmissions that he ever saw failed had Mercon in them when he tore them apart. Does anyone else remember the post?

Old 11-09-2010, 10:15 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gold_04_X-Type
The pictures are still available and they show up when I view this thread. Is anyone else not seeing the pics?
I can see them now on THIS computer, so it must have been the particular computer and what security settings are set to in that browser making them unavailable when I said that.

BTW...thanks for the pics!! Very helpful.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 13827
Size:  19.3 KB

Nice post there Gold 04

The following users liked this post:
bbzee (05-15-2017)
Old 01-01-2011, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by KDW4Him
I cannot find the post now, it seems it was by a Jag Tech who said the only transmissions that he ever saw failed had Mercon in them when he tore them apart. Does anyone else remember the post?
I did find this on Bob the oil guy RE Mercon in a Jag.........

"iirc that trans does not take Merc V. when we had a used jag s-type in shop that needed a trans (were a ford dealer) i called jag and they said it was $45 a quart for the fluid. our used car manager said it was crazy, and had our trans tech flush it with merc v. the car didnt make it out of the lot on the first test drive. "i told you so" was real fun to say right then."

Found at this link

Re: JAguar X-Type fluid [Re: Whimsey] bdcardinal

iirc that trans does not take Merc V. when we had a used jag s-type in shop that needed a trans (were a ford dealer) i called jag and they said it was $45 a quart for the fluid. our used car manager said it was crazy, and had our trans tech flush it with merc v. the car didnt make it out of the lot on the first test drive. "i told you so" was real fun to say right then.

Last edited by KDW4Him; 01-01-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:07 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I found this thread on the Jatco transmission. I just had the engine replaced. The trans fluid needed filled. The engine is back in, the trans is acting badly, now I don't have reverse. I need to know this (wrong plug) information myself, so I will be researching on it. Please let me know if you find anything in the interim.
I'm not a happy camper right now.

Freelander - Gearbox Fluid Level - Plug Location - Land Rover

Old 04-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Jaguar X-Type Transmission fluid

Found this site that claims that have compatible trans fluid.

Blackdog Manufacturing Synthetic ATF

Old 08-29-2011, 05:55 PM
Default Some thoughts... logic check, please.....

Alright.... based on what I've read on this thread;

1. When you drain via the sump plug you should get out roughly 3.5 quarts if the transmission was properly filled to begin with.

2. If it was overfilled you will get out more; underfilled less.

3. Based on the above, regardless if the level was above or below proper fill level the same fixed amount should remain in the torque converter and other parts of the tranny when you drain it.

So..... if someone could confirm that 3.5 quarts is the right amount you need to refill with (assuming you let it sit all night and did the drain/refill the next day without running the car given ambient temperture) in a previously properly filled trans then we can get a roughly accurate measure of how much to add to get it up to the proper level without going through the level check procedure.

There has to be an easier way; were talking fixed volumes (a constant for the math problem) give or take than can be held other than the sump...

Feel free to tell me I'm nuts... I plan to do this next week end would appreciate any further wisdom.

(did the transfer case last week end.... old gear oil was still honey colored with no metal shavings after 53K miles albeit a bit thick and low on volume)

The following users liked this post:
rf69 (01-06-2012)
Old 01-14-2012, 10:23 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

What about changing the filter?

Old 01-17-2012, 09:24 PM

Ok thanks guys . i checked it out and it has an allen head. Am also using the Mercon 5 ATF. Was advised to do so by my local ford dealer. will let u know how it goes

I used Mobil 1 ATF Multi-Vehicle formula, Full synthetic I got it in Advance Autoparts also Autozone has it and it works fine

Old 01-17-2012, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Inky7
Alright.... based on what I've read on this thread;

1. When you drain via the sump plug you should get out roughly 3.5 quarts if the transmission was properly filled to begin with.

2. If it was overfilled you will get out more; underfilled less.

3. Based on the above, regardless if the level was above or below proper fill level the same fixed amount should remain in the torque converter and other parts of the tranny when you drain it.

So..... if someone could confirm that 3.5 quarts is the right amount you need to refill with (assuming you let it sit all night and did the drain/refill the next day without running the car given ambient temperture) in a previously properly filled trans then we can get a roughly accurate measure of how much to add to get it up to the proper level without going through the level check procedure.

There has to be an easier way; were talking fixed volumes (a constant for the math problem) give or take than can be held other than the sump...

Feel free to tell me I'm nuts... I plan to do this next week end would appreciate any further wisdom.

(did the transfer case last week end.... old gear oil was still honey colored with no metal shavings after 53K miles albeit a bit thick and low on volume)
I used Mobil 1 ATF Multi-Vehicle formula, Full synthetic I got it in Advance

Autoparts from around the corner from my house, arrived home did the

drain and got 3.5 qts out, I refilled with 4.5 qts just in case it needed

more before the drain because I have my 2004 X type 3.0 since 2 years

ago and with 110,785 miles on it and I do not know if prior owner took
care of it and it works fine so far..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Drain.Fill procedure FAQ