X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Drain.Fill procedure FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 01:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default saved my cars life and me some money

Thank you soooo much guys!!!! First round drain and fill and already running 100 percent quieter and smoother. Again i cant thank u guys enough

Old 09-23-2015, 02:38 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

This is my first reply as a junior member and understand this is an old post but I found this page to be of incredible value and would like to contribute my experience. I have a 2005 xtype 3.0 with 105,000km and tranny was jolting at times. I bought Castrol Import Multi-vehicle ATF at Costco, 3 x 3.78L (3 US gallons) for 70$ from their website.

Now comes the fun stuff, I was planning on draining and driving, repeat. Then I was planning on pulling the return cooler to tranny line (btw. It's the lower of the two), finally I did an experiment that seems to have worked.

1. Raised car with drive on ramps.

2. Drain first batch of oil, got 3.4L of gray oil. Refilled with 3.5L of nice clean red ATF.

3. Here it comes ... Started the car in Park, ran engine for 13 seconds.

4. Drained oil again, got 3.5L of 3% clear red oil and 97% of gray smelly oil. Refilled with 3.5L of new red ATF.

5. Started car again in Park, ran engine for 15 seconds.

6. Drained oil 3rd and final time, got 3.5L mix of 30% red and 70% gray oil. Refilled with 3.5L new red ATF.

To me this means the oil has cycled through the valve, converter, cooler and was returning to the tranny. Immediately the transmission was smoother and no jolting. I am pleased.

Cheers guys.

Old 09-25-2015, 04:46 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Sounds like an easy way through this process

Did you raise the vehicle at the front or one side? What process did you use for draining the fluid?

Old 09-25-2015, 10:53 PM

Hi newtojags, I raised the front two wheels by driving onto rhino ramps. With engine off I popped the hood and to get to the fill plug I had to shift the battery slightly forward / slanted to keep terminal wires attached. The hex drain plug seems to be a 1 inch socket. I didn't have it so I used an adjustable wrench. It was not too difficult to release the hex drain plug. I have two 10 liter plastic dishes from the dollar store and a 1 liter measuring cup. Drained oil was collected in the plastic dish, oil was poured into the measuring cup 1 liter at a time and finally into an old 5 liter jug for disposal. This allowed me to measure accurately amount drained each time. This process was very easy because you drain old oil, fill new oil and cycle engine 13 and 15 seconds. 14 seconds would probably be the best average time. I believe I changed at least. 85% of the oil. I was unable to drain via cooler line and fill at the dame time so I used the granny as the bucket and cycled the oil just enough to move old into the pan for another drain.

Old 10-24-2015, 04:43 AM

Hi there,

this is my Jag:

Jaguar X-type

This company did the interior:
Carbon Motors

A video showing the acceleration

Any opinion much appreciated!

Kind regards,
George

Old 10-24-2015, 10:15 AM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

George, Why are you posting in subject threads pertaining to X-type issues?..You have posted in 5 different threads irrelevant to your post's topic..

You need to create your own thread for just your car.

Last edited by DPK; 10-24-2015 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-09-2015, 02:54 PM
Default ATF Fluid Alternatives

My 2002 X-Type only has 40K miles on it when out of nowhere it stopped moving. Engine runs fine, but just wouldn't move. Funny thing is after it sits until its completely cool, it will start up shift into drive (or reverse) and move just fine, until it gets up to temperature.

I found a mechanic that is willing to try this drain/refill procedure as a cost effective way to restore my X-Type to its better days. The debate is which transmission fluid to use other than the OEM fluid from the dealer. I have read on this forum:
Mobil 1 ATF Multi-vehicle formula Full Synthetic
AMSOil MultiVehicle Synthetic ATF
Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF

Since many of these posts are older, any reviews on how these fluids did, or any suggestions that I may benefit from?

Old 11-10-2015, 08:56 AM

I used Castrol Import Multi-vehicle ATF and no issues in past 5000km, smooth quiet shifts. Some ppl say Mobile 1 is better, i found some charts comparing the oils under stress and found Castrol to be right beside Mobile 1. I don't race my cars, for normal driving in heat and cold seems they are all equal.

The following 2 users liked this post by Michael_Toronto_Canada:
Lcgi (11-10-2015), Sherrik Cron (11-10-2015)
Old 01-24-2016, 01:25 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

so you have to get under the car to check the trans fluid level? i never could find a dipstick 02 x type 2.5

Old 01-24-2016, 03:51 PM

Louvit, to check the oil level it's best to raise the front a bit by driving on safe/solid car ramps + axel stands, because you might have some oil come out, also to have a better visual. If you don't use ramps you can still reach the level plug, in that case you can use a mirror to give you a visual of where to find the level plug.

There is a post with pictures at the beginning of this thread. I also found a PDF file explaining the same procedure to check oil level directly from Jag maintenance books, have a look http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/rm...type_Fluid.pdf

Old 03-09-2016, 08:27 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Michael did your drain plug have a washer or seal of any kind? My Haynes manual references replacing the seal on drain plug but nowhere else in my searches have I seen anyone mention a washer or seal on drain plug itself. Now the fluid level check plug I do see reference on a seal that should be replaced but I'm interested in the drain plug for tranny case itself. Thanks

Old 03-10-2016, 09:37 AM

RobinGa, I don't recall having the washer, however I know I didn't add new parts. Either way before you make your final seal of the tranny use a clean dry rag and make sure to clean dry the plug and drain hole and if a washer exists clean oil off of it as well. This will ensure no leaks. BTW, when tensioning the plug, do not kill it. When the plug stops turning you stop tensioning, give it a light final tug and you're done.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:34 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks Michael. I followed your procedure and just finished. It worked great and my experience was just like yours. My first drain was just 3 quarts had brownish very thin stinky fluid. I put in three quarts Castrol Multi Import ATF , refit the rubber fill plug and ran engine for 15 seconds. Next drain was almost as dirty as first, not much difference in color. Put in three more quarts ran engine 15 seconds. That drain looked much better and had very much a red tint to it. I refit the drain plug which by the way had a thin aluminum washer on the drain bolt and torqued to 33 pound/ft like my Haynes manual said. Also my drain plug head was 15/16 in size and my socket fit it perfectly. I refilled the final time with approx 3 1/2 quarts of Castrol Multi Import and replaced the rubber fill plug. I was able to loosen the battery box retaining arms and then shifted and tilted it forward just enough to get my hand in the space to pull out rubber fill plug without disconnecting terminals. When I filled with fluid I used a turkey baster without bulb from Dollar Tree and fit it into the fill hole. Then my usual transmission funnel would fit into the open end of that. Worked great. I appreciate your tips and worked great for me. I am guessing the fluid I drained was original and had 108,000 miles in it. I will likely do another drain fluid fill after 20,000 miles. It's very easy and satisfying to do.

Old 03-10-2016, 01:43 PM

Good job RobinGa! You can do a level check to ensure its not over / under filled but as long as you added same amount of oil as drained you should be good. Just a final update on the Castrol Import ATF, after almost a year and over 10,000 Km shifts are smooth and quiet. Enjoy your cat.

Old 11-14-2016, 05:07 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Getting ready to do this. Just did the TC yesterday. Have had the car about a month. Has 74k miles on it. 2006, X-Type VDP, 3.0L automatic AWD.

Castrol Import ATF seems readily available. I assume that's what I wanna use in this transmission.

Question: Is the original Jaguar ATF a synthetic? Or not? Cause the Castrol does not appear to be synthetic.

And this might be a lot easier than I thought now that I've discovered I can slip my hand down between the battery box and that pulley that's right across from it and with a bit of a 2-finger ballet I can get the rubber plug out and put it back in (yeah.... I actually practiced doing it just to make sure).

If I buy 3 gallons, and put 3 and a half quarts in each time. I end up with a quart and a half left. Not terrible.

Pour off a half quart, drain, use the remainder of the first gallon, drive it around the block (I live out in the country. It'll go through all the gears), pour off half a quart, same thing...... and again. So after three drain/refills, I should be good until the next time I do this, right?

This seems SOOoooo much easier than that darn transfer case.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:15 PM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

It doesn't matter whether the factory fill ATF was synthetic or not. The spec Jaguar wants in the box is Idemitsu K17. Look for it on the label of the product you intend to buy. Suggest you use what's left over for a power steering fluid refresh. Simply evacuate the reservoir and refill; repeat every couple of weeks until your leftover fluid's gone. As with the transmission the PS fluid's most likely never been touched. You'll be impressed with how filthy it is. And oh by the way you did get yourself a turkey baster, right? It's perfect for filling the transmission; a regular narrow neck funnel won't work.

Attached Thumbnails Transmission Drain.Fill procedure FAQ-atf-fill.jpg   Transmission Drain.Fill procedure FAQ-atf-tools.jpg  

Last edited by swingwing; 11-14-2016 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Added sentences.
The following users liked this post:
yardbird (11-14-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 08:27 AM

Power steering was flushed at the dealer a week ago.
Got turkey blaster, funnel, drip pans for catching, a couple containers for measuring, and some gallon jugs to take the waste oil back to the place I'd be buying the trans fluid from.

Just waiting now for the wife to tell me what card to use... heheh

Old 11-15-2016, 01:07 PM

Done!
Not quite 2 hours.
3 drains, 3 fills, with about a 5 minute drive between each one. The 3rd drain looked considerably cleaner than the first.

This was really easy. I did have what appears to be an aluminum washer on the transmission drain plug. The plug came out clean and shiny right from the start, so it doesn't appear this was sludging up or anything. At least not where it would be evident on the plug.

A call to Castrol confirmed the Transmax Multi Import meets Idemitsu K17 so I used that.

I wrapped the turkey baster in a kind of rolled up paper towel and softly wedged it between the battery box and engine. I hate juggling when I'm trying to pour.
Found a funnel with a clear hose attached. That went into the turkey baster.
Helpful tip: If the hole in your funnel is bigger than the hole at the bottom end of the turkey baster....the turkey baster WILL fill up and overflow. I caught that real quick and the rolled up paper towels caught the minor overflow easily.

That's it. Done. One more thing off the list before the snow flies (this weekend maybe).

Thank you to all who write these up and help.

Old 11-15-2016, 05:44 PM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Excellent. And did you notice improvement in transmission operation?

Old 11-15-2016, 07:38 PM

The transmission seems quieter...and I know that's kind of subjective.
Definitely a bit smoother...... and more positive.
I think I'll know more definitively when I get to drive it more than 10 minutes...heheh

Quick Reply: Transmission Drain.Fill procedure FAQ