X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unused live feed in boot /trunk of saloon.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 01:41 PM
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Unused live feed in boot /trunk of saloon.

Hi does anyone know if there is an unused live feed in the saloon boot? I have read somewhere that there is. Perhaps a standard wiring loom for saloon and estate, the estate has an accessory socket in the wheel well!
I will find out when i strip out the lining but would like to know in advance.
Thanks.

Old 02-08-2017, 02:19 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

DUNKS, how much power are you going to need to pull through this circuit? I will take a look and see what I can find for you.

Old 02-08-2017, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
DUNKS, how much power are you going to need to pull through this circuit? I will take a look and see what I can find for you.
Hi again Mr Thermo. I need the feed for a bypass relay on the tow bar electrics I will be fitting
So at worst it will have to carry trailer rear lights, one indicator bulb and the stop lights.
There is a light in the boot but the wiring is very thin and obviously not suitable.
Normal way is to run a fused live feed from battery pos to the boot but it's not a nice job passing it beneath the door sills which you can easily break the clips.
Thanks for looking.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:46 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

DUNKS, first things first. You can possibly make your life a lot easier if you do some looking. The Estates were equipped with a trailer towing module as an option. So, the wiring will be there already except for the portion of the wiring going from the module to the plug. But, there will even be a hole there for you to run the wiring through. If you access the spare tire area, a little to the left of center (looking forward), you should see 2 plugs there that are not connected to anything. These are what you would plug into the module. Then for power, the 3rd plug will have 3 wires coming off of it that will plug into a connector (3 wire connector) behind the left side rear tail light. The ground point for the connector will be in that same location.

If you are looking to wire up your own module, the power will come from the connector right behind the left tail light. Should have a brown, a brown (with a green stripe), and a black wire. The brown wire is the constant 12VDC (fed via fuse #19 in the passenger fuse box), the brown wire with a green stripe is your switchable 12 VDC (fed via fuse F4 and the accessory relay in the passenger fuse box) and the black wire is your ground. These should be sufficient for what you have in mind.

If you need the light wires, let me know. But, that should give you all the info you need at this point.

The following users liked this post:
DUNKS (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 03:32 AM

Thank you Mr. Thermo you are a star. I owe you a pint.
I will let you know how I get on when I do the wiring. Waiting for it to get a bit warmer over here.
Peter.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:29 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes there is.
See here: Auxiliary Power Sockets
All you need to know is in detail.
Mike.

The following users liked this post:
DUNKS (02-11-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 03:39 AM

Thanks a million I now have all the info I need. I was dreading having to take a live feed all the way from front to back. Did it on my previous car and broke all the door sill clips.
All I want now is a nice DRY day.

Old 02-11-2017, 07:32 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

and a relay of the correct type.
Plenty on ebay!
Enjoy the snow!
Mike.

Old 04-17-2017, 03:59 AM

All done now. Thanks for the input!
Thermo's info on the live wire is spot on. I used the constant live feed.