X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water pump housing removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 01:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pump housing removal

Hey guys i need help on removing the water pump housing from a 2005 jaguar x type 3.0. I need to replace it because it has a hole in it and is leaking really bad. The part is a bit over $300 special order from the dealer so im trying to do the labor myself. I've already removed the water pump and taken off what i believe are all the bolts for the housing but it wont come off. Has anyone done this? Do i need a special tool??

Old 06-29-2015, 01:35 PM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

Hope this is what your looking for.
took it from the workshop manual.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
pump Housing.pdf (319.8 KB, 890 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by Paulc732:
iiijuanioii (06-29-2015), MeatBag (07-04-2015)
Old 06-29-2015, 01:43 PM

This looks helpful. Specially the part where it says to remove the valve cover. I think thats what i was missing. Now I'll have to wait and see till friday when i get back home. Thanks a lot Paulc732.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:54 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

iiijanioii, there is no need to remove the valve cover. You should be able to do this without having to do that. I did the water pump on my X-Type and I didn't remove the valve cover. You can look at the diagram and see where all the bolts are. But, if you have removed all the bolts, then I would recommend using a wood dowel/stick and placing that on the body of the water pump and then giving the stick a good smack with a hammer. That should knock it loose. Odds are, the water pump is "sticking" due to the gasket holding it in place. Take a look at the new water pump and make sure that you have all the bolts out before you start hitting the water pump really good. Hate to see you break a bolt because you didn't see it.

Old 07-03-2015, 10:29 AM

Yeah the water pump is a piece of cake but the housing has a hole in it. Thanks anyways.

Cant remove valve cover either, factory silicone is too thick and strong. Any suggestions??

Last edited by iiijuanioii; 07-03-2015 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-03-2015, 02:54 PM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

iiijanioii: Only a small amount of RTV silicone is applied at the Jaguar factory, and only in a few locations where the valve cover is prone to leak. If you've found a lot of silicone on the valve cover of your X-Type, it was likely put there by an overzealous mechanic or former owner who mistakenly thought "If a little's good, a lot must be better".

To release the silicone seal, try sliding the sharp edge of a flexible putty knife between the valve cover and the head, then work the putty knife sideway, all the way around the edge of the valve cover. The silicone is soft, so the putty knife should slide thru it pretty easily easy once you get it started. Don't pry up with the putty knife, just slide it sideways using the sharp edge to cut the silicone between the valve cover and head.

Both valve covers have a ~1 inch hole encircling the cam shaft sensor. Unplug the electrical connectors from these sensors. After using a flexible putty knife to release the silicone seal around the entire valve cover, pull the valve cover straight up and away from the plane of the head until valve cover clears the cam shaft sensor.

Clean the residual silicone off the valve cover and head, wipe down the metal contact surface with a little carb or brake cleaner to remove any engine oil, then use a little less silicone when you reassemble it.

Good luck, and let us know how it's going.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:47 PM

So this is the part im trying to take off (where my index finger is). Its leaking coolant from the left side of it. Theres a pulley, doesnt show in the pic sorry, but its connected to the other side.

This shows the other side where it connects. My question is how do i remove this? Do i need a special tool? Is complicated to the point that a pro needs to do it? By temoving it will something move that i need to be aware of, something i need to secure before removal so i wont **** up my car any further? Im off tomorrow if i see helpful replies in the morning I'll proceed if possible. I live in laredo tx so the earlier the better because after 10 am its 100° out here. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:52 PM

I work out of town in the oil field services btw thats why im taking my time to fix my jag. When i come home for a day or two, the last thing i wanna do is bend over infront of my engine under the dry sunny sky of laredo.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:09 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

if the housing is leaking from a hole??? why not drill and clean and JB weld it. seems like a lot of extra work, time and money for a simple reliable repair

The following users liked this post:
iiijuanioii (07-30-2015)
Old 07-19-2015, 12:22 AM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

iiijanioii: The water pump on our X-Types has two main parts: (1) a housing that's bolted to the cylinder head, and (2) an impeller and face plate that's bolted to the housing.

It seems you wish to unbolt the housing from the cylinder head. Is this necessary? I assume there are no holes in the housing, and that coolant is leaking from the gasket between the housing and the face plate. If correct, you can simply remove the face plate from the housing and install a new gasket or gasket sealant. There's no need to remove the housing from the cylinder head, nor would you need to decouple the cam shaft from the large pulley powering the belt. Again, I assume your water pump housing is intact, and that it's leaking from the gasket between the housing and face plate, yes?

Here's a thread with pictures showing the water pump face plate & impeller removed, and the water pump housing still bolted to the cylinder head: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...matters-98571/

This video also shows still shots of the water pump face plate & impeller removed, again with the water pump housing still bolted to the cylinder head. The narrator suggests using a wrench to relax the tensioner to remove the belt, but you can do this with bare hands.

The following users liked this post:
iiijuanioii (07-30-2015)
Old 07-29-2015, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Brutal
if the housing is leaking from a hole??? why not drill and clean and JB weld it. seems like a lot of extra work, time and money for a simple reliable repair
I never thought of that, but i dont really like the idea. I'd rather put a fully functional part. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by dwclapp
iiijanioii: The water pump on our X-Types has two main parts: (1) a housing that's bolted to the cylinder head, and (2) an impeller and face plate that's bolted to the housing.

It seems you wish to unbolt the housing from the cylinder head. Is this necessary? I assume there are no holes in the housing, and that coolant is leaking from the gasket between the housing and the face plate. If correct, you can simply remove the face plate from the housing and install a new gasket or gasket sealant. There's no need to remove the housing from the cylinder head, nor would you need to decouple the cam shaft from the large pulley powering the belt. Again, I assume your water pump housing is intact, and that it's leaking from the gasket between the housing and face plate, yes?

Here's a thread with pictures showing the water pump face plate & impeller removed, and the water pump housing still bolted to the cylinder head: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...matters-98571/

This video also shows still shots of the water pump face plate & impeller removed, again with the water pump housing still bolted to the cylinder head. The narrator suggests using a wrench to relax the tensioner to remove the belt, but you can do this with bare hands. Replace 2002 Jaguar X-Type Water Pump and water pump belt - YouTube
No there is a hole in the housing. The first thing my dad did was change the water pump thinking it was no good. But after having the same problem I removed the water pump and somehow decided to stick my head and have a look at the housing, thats when i saw it. So yes im trying to remove the housing from the cylinder head to have it replaced.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:10 PM

Here's the pic.

Old 07-26-2019, 02:20 PM
Default I got same problem

Did you ever fix that leak?

Old 07-26-2019, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

I would hope so as that post was 4 years ago. The poster hasn't been heard from on here since.