X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what are the 2.1 petrol x types like?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 06:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what are the 2.1 petrol x types like?

Hi all
Im looking at buying an 02 x type and have seen a nice 2 litre petrol version with the auto box.I was wondering what are peoples opinions of these and what sort of things should i look out for when i go to look at one ?Also what sort of mpg can i expect .
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Gary

Old 03-17-2010, 12:34 PM

It's not the best out of the bunch... it's front wheel drive for a start, and a bit thirsty considering the (lack of) power that it produces. On the power side of things, it definitely feels like it could do with more, especially with the auto box.

So if you're in the UK you're much better off with the Diesel. If you are in the USA I'd definitely say that the 2.5 V6 would be a much better bet (cheaper fuel than in the UK!). The 2.5 and above are AWD, which is nice - a bit better balanced.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:08 PM

how thirsty are we talking because i was running a is200 which was getting around 16 mpg so i was thinking maybe i would see an improvement with the jag ?

Old 03-17-2010, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Gary
The 2.1 is not far off the MPG of the 2.5 which is not far off the 3.0.
Autos slightly thirstier than manuals.
Could be wrong but dont think the 2.1 came with very much of a high spec???
In the UK I would get 21 mpg around town in my 3.0 and from what I've read the 2.5 and 2.1 are very similar. The 2.5 and 3.0 are have the benefit of AWD too.
Good luck

Old 03-17-2010, 01:35 PM

Buck

Your right most of the 2.1's iv been looking at were pretty basic spec wise but iv seen one that was pretty loaded as in leather electric seats electric rear windows parking sensors etc etc i would go for a 2.5 but i have to look at the insurance costs (being 22) as well which is the main reason im looking at the 2.1 so just trying to gauge what the real time running costs are for the car.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member

There are lots of happy owners on the uk forum with the 2.1
Once up to speed they are great at motorway speeds and you wont suffer some problems with awd components you sometimes read about on 2.5 and 3.0
I would make sure it has a FSH
Some parts are cheap as some shared with Mk3 Mondeo eg pads, discs,
Good luck and let us now how you get on

Old 03-17-2010, 04:55 PM

Cheers mate hopefully this one is as good as it looks as its got the full jag main dealer history.It looks a bit different in white as well so hopefully you will be having another jag owner on here soon.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member

PS If you can get to Hardwick Hall (off M1 near Chesterfield) on June 6th we are having a National Forum meet from the UK forum as its central for the country...so far I think over 30 Jags expected and probably more when I tell my local Jag club.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:19 PM
Thumbs up

oh brilliant if i buy the x type il definetly try and get up there as it sounds like a good day.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:30 PM

HI Gary,

I just joined this forum as I have owned a Jag x type 2.0V6 Se for a week now. 2003 model.
I simply love this car! averaging about 24 per gallon round town. Not done a long run in it yet. Mine is a manual which I prefer. Full black leather, parking sensors, electric everything. 56k miles full Jag history. One owner, old man who kept it in amazing condition. Not a mark on it. All for under 5k

If your looking for one, look for good specs, low miles. I would say the diesel is the one to go for as it will be easier on the pocket. I looked for one for a while but they where all high milers or had been abused, hence settling for a petrol one.
dont be fooled by the phone button. I was, but on reflection you find its a standard button but an optional extra.
My 2lt has plenty of grunt. its so quiet and just purrs along but put ya foot down you do here the V6 growing back at ya. If its comfort you want then X type is a good car for that.
For insurance group 14. for me with full no claims of 9 years cost less than 400 full comp.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:27 PM

Hi bolly
Thanks for the info on your experience on the x type its just about covererd everything i need to know yeah the diesel would be great but like you say they are all mainly high miles which isnt what i need as i intend keeping the car for a while.Iv found a couple that i really like but ones slightly better spec but i love the colour on the other lol so a bit tied up as to which one to get at the min a white one or a metallic grey one?

thanks again
Gary

Old 03-18-2010, 03:18 PM

Gary,

Few other things are the model eg, classic, sport or SE. I went for the SE as I wanted the few extras it offered. I liked the look of the sport though from what I read it was just looks and a stiffer ride that it offers, rather than increased performance.The SE to me was so much more a smoother ride. Again with the Classic model I would say its the most basic, half leather seats no air con, Just the Jag badge. The second hand dealer who sold me mine had a classic diesel 1 year younger but in the same colour as the one I chose (Silver) Low mileage too at 60k 54plate (uk2004) it was more money but offered less to me.
You talk of colour, well I always wanted a Black one, or second was silver / gun metal grey. I drove 1.1/2 hours to Luton to look at a black one to spend 2 mins looking at how bad condition it was in, turned around and went home. After that experience i settled into looking for just a good car, right colour would be a bonus. Lucky me I found the Silver one. (Pics coming soon as new to this site)

My advise is go for Spec, model and condition. White or Grey would look good. Not seen many white ones here. (dunno where in the world you are) I had a white golf gti once and was always washing it.So vowed never to have a white car again.!
Just take your time one will appear. took me 3 months on autotrader , ebay and pistonheads to finally get the right one. Trust me they are there and good things are worth waiting for.

How many you looked at / test drove?

Old 03-18-2010, 03:32 PM

Im in the uk.White being the reason i was quite attracted to it as was different.Iv driven a few of them where i worked but wasnt looking for one at time but iv just sold my is200 so was scouting around and found the x type.Yeah spec is obviously pretty important ,what did the se offer over the classic ?other than leather seats and climate control?

Old 03-18-2010, 05:29 PM

Im am not entirely sure. Hopefully someone else could answer better. Here is what my SE has. multi function steering wheel stereo controls & all important cruise control. air con and climate. Folding mirrors via button on door. Trip computer. Full leather seats, electric adjustable seats for driver & passenger. Nicer set of alloys. Also the chrome trim on the front and rear bumpers. Rear centre arm rest. 3 rear head rests. front fog lights (think standard on all models) parking sensors also think standard on all. Mine also has the chrome trim that runs over the top of the doors down to the rear.
Some of these maybe optional extras from the 1 or 2 classics I looked at there was no cruise or multi function wheel no climate no leather. No electric seats & no rear arm rest.
Also wheels where basic.
Hope it helps you Gary.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:54 PM

just one other thing, that is to get a 2003 model or above. The problems with the earlier models were ironed out.
to quote what car review
On the positive side, cars from 2003 onwards are much improved, but the most common problems are with the suspension and transmission, responsible for more than half the claims recorded by Warranty Direct.

In particular, owners have reported problems with whining transmissions, rattling steering and clutch failure. However, these are most common on early cars.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bolly
just one other thing, that is to get a 2003 model or above. The problems with the earlier models were ironed out.
to quote what car review
On the positive side, cars from 2003 onwards are much improved, but the most common problems are with the suspension and transmission, responsible for more than half the claims recorded by Warranty Direct.

In particular, owners have reported problems with whining transmissions, rattling steering and clutch failure. However, these are most common on early cars.
cheers mate thats been really really helpful that might just rule out the white one then as its an 02 plate was the transmission problems for the auto ?

Old 03-19-2010, 04:29 AM

Morning Gary.

I am not sure what I can say on here or not regarding other sites. but go to what car site and fill in the bit on top left. make model second hand etc. it takes you to the what car review , readers reviews. pro's and cons. I found it quite helpful. yes they upgraded the cars on 03 to iron out the bugs. Somewhere i read that auto boxes if they fail can be very costly as much as 2k. I bought a manual in part for this reason but also because I like to actually drive the car. lol with auto box and cruise the driving experience would be just to steer. how boring is that!

Old 07-06-2015, 02:30 PM
Default 2002 2.1 x type auto petrol mpg

Hi Guys,
I am new to this forum and newish to computer techno. For weeks now I have been looking at Rover 75's connoisseurs manual diesel because I heard that they are pretty good on MPG. I have always liked Jags throughout my life and of course always wanted one. One has come up and it looks great, inside and out, but I don't know a thing about them, eg; average MPG for car that age and model. I have read the forum Q&As and now don't know what to do. This car is initially for me (if I get it that is) but I will be handing it over to my daughter after she has had a couple of years driving experience. The other thing is that only the spec is mentioned so I have messaged the owner for the good, bad and the ugly history etc of the car but he/she has not got back. Any advise would be great.
Thanks

Old 11-21-2015, 12:15 PM

Dear friends,
I'm a mercedes owner i have 2 mercedes e220cdi w210 and e270cdi w211. Planning to buy a jaguar x type 2004. 2.1 L petrol. Can you please give me information about the car. ( top speed , fuel comsuption, suspension....)Which one is better jaguar x type or mb e class.
In my country diesel cost rs 32.50 litre whereas gasoline rs 45.00litre
1 usd= rs38.00
Thanking you in advance