X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Bearing Magnets "Different?"

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 07:17 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Wheel Bearing Magnets "Different?"

MAYBE JUST MAYBE I FOUND THE PROBLEM. I took the hubs off today, checked the "NATIONAL" bearing with this magnet card, take a look at the differences of the magnets from the National Bearing to the New OEM bearing. The OEM bearing had more smaller segmented magnets. If logic serves correctly the National bearing would make the car think the wheel is going slower than it really is since fewer magnets are passing the sensor per revolution. Plan to have the OEM bearings installed tomorrow and will reinstall hubs tomorrow evening. If anyone has any light to shed please do before I switch them.

National Bearing, approx 8 segments or magnets showing in this space

OEM bearing, approx 15 segments or magnets in the same space.

Old 02-14-2017, 03:49 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

lynnpt2001, you would be correct in that the car would think the front wheels were going approximately half as fast as the rear tires, leading to the car trying to control the wheel slip (assuming) the car has DSC. At a minimum the ABS computer will see 2 wheels spinning at 1 speed and the other 2 wheels at a different speed. Since it can't determine which wheels are spinning at the correct speed, it throws up the error code saying that it has a problem and needs you to look at it. If you had this issue on only 1 wheel, then you would have gotten the error code stating that that one wheel was problematic.

Old 02-14-2017, 04:02 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

UPDATE. New oem bearings are in and no ABS light......Cant tell you how relieved I am. Auto Zone gave me a refund when I showed them the magnet test card compared to the oem bearing. They had nothing to say.....so I recommend ONLY OEM !

The following users liked this post:
clyons (02-14-2017)