Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield replacement: normal vs heated

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 09:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Windshield replacement: normal vs heated

Hello guys!
I got my windshield cracked from using DEF button suddenly while on highway at 130km/h. It is not from stones (be aware).
My question to the more knowledgeable of you is if I can make a heated windshield work with the wireing in place now (original is not heated) or if modifications are easy to implement. I still have warranty and I wouldn't want to end it before it's time. I asked at the Jaguar shop and they answered only by looking at the parts list that it is the same wiring but I would need a new central pannel (I don't have touchscreen) for the extra button for front defrost. In the end they did not have a firm answer so I turn to you as I am sure here I can get info for mods as well.
I can tell them to install the heated windscreen anyway and look for a solution when warranty expires. Maybe a totally separated circuit with a hidden button in the glove comparment. I only really need it in the cold season (4months) when I have to scratch ice every morning... and sometimes evening.

Any input is welcome.
Thank you!

R.

PS: 2.2diesel, 2008, classic X-TYPE

Old 01-26-2010, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

mine doesn't hve the touch screen, and i have the weather package, which includes heat seats, heated rear and front windscreen and headlamp washers. Does your heating system have the 3 dials at the top?

Old 01-26-2010, 02:29 PM

no, only 2: DEF and REAR like this http://www.canadiandriver.com/articl.../03xtype_2.jpg
I don't have weather package (no heated seats nor windscreen) but i have headlamp washers.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member

hmmm thats oddd, do you know if the wires are still behind it, so you could just make a hole and put it in, or did they say you need all the compnents switched

Old 01-27-2010, 10:10 AM

I wouldn't drill a hole anywhere visible in my car. Since I only need this feature at the begining of a trip I can live with a switch somewhere hidden and a separate circuit with relay and fuse. But, if the wireing is there I would prefere to use it and maybe change only the butons, not the whole panel (maybe find smth on ebay or so).
This is my question to you as I don't know what wires my car has got.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

sorry, i couldn't be much help, but a guy named thermo knows a ton abotu our cars, and alot about its wiring too, you my want to pm him about it, im sure he would be able to help you.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:02 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

cbrica, if you want a truely factory look, then you are stuck with getting the new panel to control the front windscreen.

Now, my alternate option to you is to simply take the signal going to the rear window defroster and use that to power a relay that would then energize your front windscreen. That way, the front windscreen is on a timer yet will still be powered from your current A/C control screen. Then you can had a small switch to de-activate the front windscreen when you don't need it. You could even throw in an ON-OFF-ON switch that would allow you to also manually turn on the front if you so desired (unfortunately, without getting into a long discussion about how to make a timing circuit, this is about as good as you can get).

Let me know what you want to do and we can take it from there. The front windscreen defroster works off of 12 VDC as I recall. So, getting it wired up is easy, it is more a matter of how you want it controlled.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:41 AM

Thermo, your ideea is nice. I will think about it. The on/off switch of the rear DEF would work bothways on front as well, isn't it? If I put the small switch I would stick to having separate functions and not mix rear DEF with front DEF.
Do you know if my car has wireing in place for front defrost? Can you help me with the relevant section of the JTIS where I can study this issue? I tried downloading it from the dedicated topic but it does not work.
(how can I lure you into that long discussion about timing and design of a separate circuit for front defrost?)

To resume, I want a separate circuit to control front DEF.
I want to have a timer (to make sure I don't forget it on and fry the wires inside the windshield).
IF i have all the wires behind the dashboard I will look for the splited button that replaces one of the two DEF buttons and if I don't find, stick to the complete separate circuit with a nice custom button hidden in the ashtray or on the left side of the steering wheel.

History: since I saw this function on a friend's car I wanted it and when I bought the X-Type the car was already in stock with a big discount and I went for the discount instead of paying extra 2000Eur (I guess... and it was 2009 model) for another car that I had to wait for. Now that I have to change the glass I think of this oportunity to get this feature. Next, I look for the original BlueTooth phone as I have the preinstall, a towbar (recommendations very welcome) and maybe some aux adaptor for the CD player.

Thank you for your help,
Razvan

Old 01-28-2010, 05:17 PM
Veteran member

Razvan, as for being able to look up the wiring on JTIS for what you are after, I think you are going to run into issues as this was not available until like 2006 or something of the like and the JTIS CDs only cover up to MY 2004.25. So, I will not have access to the diagrams. If you want to look at the diagrams, odds are, your best bet will be getting a subscription to a service like http://www.alldata.com. They will have a lot of the diagrams that you are after.

As for creating your own timing circuit, I will sit down and design something and see what I can do for you. How are you with soldering on a circuit card? That is what will need to be done for something like this. Is there anything special you want this to do (ie, only be able to be turned on when the rear DEF is on, etc)? once I get the circuit designed, I will PM it to you.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:52 AM

Ok. JTIS no good.
I will see with Alldata.com

Instead of designing it from scratch, can we use Jaguar original parts? Relay and timer? Is the timer part of the car CPU? I like bricolage and I am good with solderind as well.

- I want to start it from a button that is not sticky (I mean, after command is sent, button comes back to a resting position)
- I want to have the timer (not sure how long) so that it does not remain ON forever.
- I don't want it to be linked to any other part of the car (just the windshield and the - power source - I need recommendation for this; where is it best to get the 12V from; I think it should be interupted by ingnition, right?).
- I am thinking to get a small round (easy to drill without errors) button above the front DEF, if I get around a nice piece. If not, hidden in the ashtray (it is a non-smokers car).

Thermo, I cannot say how gratefull I am for your help. I feel guilty for taking so much of your time. I wish there was a simpler method to do this upgrade.

Thank you, again!

Attached Thumbnails Windshield replacement: normal vs heated-03xtype_2.jpg  
Old 01-29-2010, 05:17 AM

can't I get one of those to save all the hasle?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_263622

Old 01-29-2010, 05:25 PM
Veteran member

cbrica, I don't think that is rated high enough to handle the current that the front defroster is capable of handling. Now, if that was used in conjunction with another relay, then you would be fine. The only "problem" I see with something like the e-bay timer is once you turn it on, you can't turn it off until it times out. Not a true problem, but something to consider.

Let me do some more looking around and see what I can find out. I'm sure there is information out there, just need to find it.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:49 AM

Hello again!

I have just returned from service where they installed the heated windscreen.
good news: I have the connectors (for the heating part) and already used them.
bad news: it does not heat when I press REAR defrost. (I didn't actually hope it would be that easy).

Questions:
- how do I know if the fuses are big enough?
- are there any fuses installed? what about relay? where do I check?
- the optimistic situation is that all is set and there are some wires not connected behind the dash and I just need to put a relay and a fuse in the already provided sockets. how do I dismantle the front dash (where the climate controls are) to improvise a button for this new function?

Thank you,
Razvan

Old 06-30-2010, 05:38 PM
Veteran member

cbrica, as for the size of fuse, I would anticipate something in the neighborhood of 20 amps. As for the relay, that is where your owner's manual should help you out and should say something to the effect of windscreen defroster or front defroster, etc. Both the fuse and relay should be located in the fuse box located inside the passenger cabin. For my car, the fuse box is in the dash on the left side of the car (as you are sitting in it). But, seems to me in the later years, it was moved to the right side footwell area.

As for wiring it up, that would all depend on the ACM module and what it needs. The ACM is the computer that controls the A/C-heat system. Without the diagrams, my hands are somewhat tied. Granted, if you have the wiring in the car, then I would find out where the factory switch was and then attempt to get the factory switch. From there is should be a simple "plug and play".

Old 07-02-2010, 04:20 AM

I have 2 empty places for relays in the compartment next to the batery in the engine bay and a few fuse empty slots but with no contact so I presume they are all fitted. Can someone give me more details on where to check for all the components for this circuit please? Relay, fuse(s), wiring in the dash, etc.

Thank you again,
R.

Old 07-03-2010, 01:57 PM

ok... more news.
2 x 30Amps Fuses already installed (positions F14 and F15)
1 empty relay slot that is connected with the fuses (position R6 to be filled ASAP)

problem: I could not take the REAR defrost button of (I even took off the whole pannel with A/C and CD player). I suspect and fear that I will have to change the whole A/C pannel. Any ideas how much that piece costs? Do I have any chance that the REAR activates FRONT defrost as well?

Old 07-06-2010, 09:53 AM

Please Help!
I will go to the dealer/service on Thursday and I want to have my homework done so that they don't bull**** me.
Do you know how is the command given to the relay? How is the computer involved? Does the REAR defrost button work for front as well? Does the wiring go all the way to the dashboard button?
I don't have this split button for electrical rear/front defrost like in this pic: http://www.canadiandriver.com/articl.../03xtype_4.jpg
I have this: http://www.canadiandriver.com/articl.../03xtype_2.jpg

Thank you!

Old 07-06-2010, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I think you're missing the point. Just because the windshield has the elements and they plugged them in does not mean you have a heated windshield. First off look at your fuses, there are separate fuses for the left and right heating elements. then there is a relay, so in effect if you wire it to your rear defog button you'll have to trace all the wiring back to where it plugs in to the windshield and wire both circuits to the one button.

IMO it would seem far simpler to go out and replace the face plate that has the stock 3 defrost buttones on it since it would appear the wiring it already in place you might have to add the fuses and relay, i'm not sure about that.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:31 PM

i had the fuses from factory
relay just added
control.... I will connect the power (+) from the rear defog relay to the control (+) of the front defog relay. So... case solved. front will work toghether with rear defog.

btw, the climate control face plate has the climate computer embeded and costs more that 1000EURO.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:47 AM

Done!!!! I am so happy!
control of the relay is done by means of (-) pole which I forwarded from the rear defog relay.

Not only it works to defog/defrost but the lower (and upper) contact bands heat up a little more which will defrost any ice on the wipers.

In the end it only took 50EUR (difference in windshield price) + 10EUR (relay) + 2m of wire + 10 tie-ups
I could use the wire driven from the rear relay (which is in the cabin) to the front relay (in the engine bay) with a separate button if I eventually realize that I don't want front and rear to work simultaneously.

good luck!

Quick Reply: Windshield replacement: normal vs heated