X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-Type 2.2 Diesel Limp Home Mode Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 01:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default X-Type 2.2 Diesel Limp Home Mode Problem

I have a UK model X-Type 2.2 Diesel Manual on a 57 plate(2007)

It runs fine and has done for the past two years withregular servicing. Recently it has developed a pain in the backside issue bygoing into “limp home” mode.
The temperature gauge has sometimes gone straight up to thetop red and back down again (within a few seconds) and once the limp home modestarts, the fans start running at full speed.

There is no bad smoke and no misfires. Whilst in limp mode,I can put my foot down on the accelerator and the car will speed up veryslowly. Pulling away from the lights is a real pain.
If I turn off the engine and leave it, the fans willcontinue to run for 5-10 min, but if I turn off the engine, start it again,turn off a 2nd time and turn start up again, the fans stop and I cancontinue my journey with normal power and speed.

It happens at different times, hot or cold, fast or slow,however it is becoming more frequent. Sometimes I can drive for 50 miles, othertimes it will happen 2 or 3 times over a 5 mile journey.
It happens even when I’ve only just started the journey, 5min into it.

I don’t have any lights on the dash, no messages in thescreen and the temp gauge is normally at ¼ once the engine has warmed up.
I had been suspecting a faulty temp sensor however ithappens even when the temp gauge says the car is cold. As a restart (x2) solvesit for a short while, could I have a computer problem?

Any advice as to where to start looking would be very much appreciated.
All the best,
Phil

Old 06-20-2022, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mr

Originally Posted by PMKimpton
I have a UK model X-Type 2.2 Diesel Manual on a 57 plate(2007)

It runs fine and has done for the past two years withregular servicing. Recently it has developed a pain in the backside issue bygoing into “limp home” mode.
The temperature gauge has sometimes gone straight up to thetop red and back down again (within a few seconds) and once the limp home modestarts, the fans start running at full speed.

There is no bad smoke and no misfires. Whilst in limp mode,I can put my foot down on the accelerator and the car will speed up veryslowly. Pulling away from the lights is a real pain.
If I turn off the engine and leave it, the fans willcontinue to run for 5-10 min, but if I turn off the engine, start it again,turn off a 2nd time and turn start up again, the fans stop and I cancontinue my journey with normal power and speed.

It happens at different times, hot or cold, fast or slow,however it is becoming more frequent. Sometimes I can drive for 50 miles, othertimes it will happen 2 or 3 times over a 5 mile journey.

I don’t have any lights on the dash, no messages in thescreen and the temp gauge is normally at ¼ once the engine has warmed up.
I had been suspecting a faulty temp sensor however ithappens even when the temp gauge says the car is cold. As a restart (x2) solvesit for a short while, could I have a computer problem?

All the best,
Phil
hi phil did you get this problem fixed my car doing the very same as you explained

Old 06-20-2022, 01:05 PM

hi phil did you get this problem fixed my car doing the very same as you explained

Old 06-20-2022, 01:10 PM

I have a UK model X-Type 2.2 Diesel auto on a 2008

All the best, kevin hn

Old 06-20-2022, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Not going to be of any substantial help as we have petrol engines but, in your reasoning there could be a flaw. If the temp sensor is indeed faulty then whether the car is cold or warm would have little bearing on causing the fault. The other helpful thing to post for better guidance is buy an ELM327 OBD reader (inexpensive) and pull the codes to post here (use torque app for phone) or use SEARCH as nearly all codes have been discussed here ad nauseum.

Post #9 =
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...nected-258813/

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 06-20-2022 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-21-2022, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,787 Likes on 719 Posts

It certainly sounds highly likely that you have a bad temperature sensor.......generally speaking when the car is warmed up the temperature reading will be usually be around the mid point of the gauge on most cars.
Your gauge is doing very odd things that if it were just the gauge or instrument cluster, would likely not also trigger the fans and limp home protection etc.

A bad temperature sensor (or wiring to it) will probably fool the engine control module into thinking there is a problem and likely engage 'Limp Home' mode and drive the fans hard to try to protect the engine.
Probably a 90% chance it is just a bad sensor or an issue with the plug and/or wiring to it.
A broken or chaffed wire could be shorting or isolating the temp sensor.