X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-Type Power Driver seat repair

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 09:57 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Power Seat Motor

I have a you tube video on how to remove and replace the motors.

The following 2 users liked this post by 1arrowdown:
Kota62 (07-01-2015), Sinbad (02-09-2020)
Old 05-24-2015, 08:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Hi I own a Jaguar X type 2004
I have an odd question which is .
The passenger seat is electric with on single switch for backwards and forwards. The switch will operate the seat to lean back but wont operate the seat to forward again. Im thinking to my self that this cant be the motor as clearly it goes one way but not the other. I took out the seat and cant see a motor any where and im possibly now thinking its hidden away on the back support of the seat. I need help as the seat is now almost laying right back as meddling passengers could help messing with the switch. I don't know if its a switch problem or other . Please some one help a distressed Jaguar lover.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:32 PM
Default 04 Jaguar Xtype 3.0

Is it possible that we could install the driver seat on a X type with a member receipt into a non-memory see car - my car isn't 04 non-memory damage seat cosmetically so I want to swap with another seat I found one it's in 05 but has memory I noticed that the first harness is it denticle but on the memory 05 there is a gray electrical connector that I do not have an 04 I know that the memories not going to work but will the other features like the heated seats and all the motors will they work

Old 02-23-2017, 12:47 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bfuentes
Once all this was removed I put in the new motor. I had to manually actuate the assembly to the correct length to match the position of the seat but once that was done it was pretty easy to put everything back. Now my seat works great and I have alot more head room LOL! The only issue was that once i plugged the battery back in my auto down function on all passenger windows had stopped working, not sure what to do on that. Upon further inspection I decided to take the motor apart and found that the gears are made of plastic and that is what broke on my seat.
How did you manual adjust the motor? I have an S-type that has the drivers seat moved too far front and not far enough back. The same motor that you replaced is probably also bad, so I'm looking at doing this over the weekend. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Last edited by 03s-type_sport; 02-23-2017 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 03-01-2017, 08:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too bought the Ebay kit & replaced the plastic cog with a brass one, my original plastic cog had split radially and the seat just used to twitch once in each direction, which is somewhat different to the symptoms others have posted, but I gambled (correctly) that the fault was the same.
You need to take your Brave-pills to pull the seat out and the motor out of it, but thanks to Fuentes post it all went smoothly, so for £22 I'm now going up and down like I should do!
Kota62 asked if the motors are swappable between driver & passenger seat, and the answer is NO - they are mirror images of eachother, but the replacement cog kit works for either as inside the motor the bits are the same.
FORD MONDEO MK2 MK3 + Jaguar X-type ELECTRIC SEAT MOTOR CNC BRASS GEAR KIT | eBay

Old 03-03-2017, 03:19 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Thaks Shazlee, when I saw the picture of broken gear from Mr bfluentes I have thought of same thing, and you have give the right direction to fix the problem with a last long gear.

Old 12-25-2019, 01:34 AM

This may be a stupid question but does each seat have one or two motors to raise/lower the front and rear of the seat base?
To put it another way, to repair one seat (stuck down) do I need one or two new gears?

Old 12-26-2019, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,130 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Originally Posted by Zalan
This may be a stupid question but does each seat have one or two motors to raise/lower the front and rear of the seat base?
To put it another way, to repair one seat (stuck down) do I need one or two new gears?
There are three motors in some of the seats (as I remember) and at least two in all the electric seats. But if the problem is only that the seat cannot be raised, you need only replace the "rise and fall" motor components (which almost certainly means only replacing the broken nylon gear).

Old 12-26-2019, 07:04 PM
Thumbs up Seat height adjuster metal gear

Thanks Sov,
I will order two replacement metal gears - one for the driver's and one for the passenger's seats.
If anyone is interested, this is the cheapest I have been able to find:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Seat-Height-...VdchGJ&vxp=mtr
Alan

Old 02-04-2020, 07:21 AM

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for your valuable inputs for this very annoying issue.
Before taking the brave-pill and try to remove seat and motor I would need to know is such repair is the same for a Jaguar XE...?
From outside it looks very similar but does any body have a clue?

Many thanks in avance for your reply.
Boris.

Old 03-30-2020, 04:39 AM

I have broken gears in both engines (up/down and tilt). Do you know if these gears are the same in both engines? I found repair kits only for the up/down engine, there is nothing for the tilting engine.

Old 03-30-2020, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Zalan
i GOT AN ERRONEOUS ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION AND NOW HAVE TO DO THE JOB TWICE OVER
PLEASE NOTE IF YOU ARE REPLACING UP-DOWN GEARS: EACH SEAT HAS TWO MOTORS FOR RAISING AND LOWERING - A FRONT AND REAR MOTOR. EACH OF THESE HAS THE SAME GEAR.SO IT IS BEST TO PLAN ON REPLACING BOTH.

Old 03-31-2020, 06:07 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Did your seat rock backwards and forwards due to the broken gear? Mine does, although its the forward gear that is broken in my case.

Old 03-31-2020, 06:45 AM

I could not adjust the height and tilt of the seat. I have rocking, but because of a broken frame, as in this video:

Old 04-03-2023, 02:36 PM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Reviving an old thread.
Both of my front seats do not tilt/lift, so I need to fix 4 motors.
I see on ebay now that there is the option to buy not just the brass cog, but a cog already affixed to a corkscrew shaft, thereby avoiding the need to file down the knurled bits on the old shafts.
However, there seem to be a number of lengths available, does anyone know which size is the best fit?
It looks to me like one motor might take a 14cm length, whereas the other looks much shorter?

Is it simpler to just buy the cogs and do the filing?

Old 04-04-2023, 05:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 281 Posts

Hi, I am right in the middle of fixing just that on my 2004 AWD 2.5L "X".
I can only speak for the up/down height adjuster, as only that one was broken (when I just bought that "X").
And that height-adjust motor takes the 11cm spindle/gear. I bought it on aliexpress:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...760d1802DSamvP

I will write a DIY-guide when I have finished. So far I replaced the spindle with the broken plastic crap with the new spindle with metal-sprocket. I moved all the bits and pieces from the plastic version to the new version (there is still a bit of "filing" required...), and then I fitted that new assembly in the old motor. Next step is obviously to put the motor back under the driver's seat.

Last edited by Peter_of_Australia; 04-04-2023 at 06:13 PM. Reason: corrected link
Old 04-04-2023, 10:24 AM

Hi Peter,
That's interesting. I see three motors, one that does the forward/back movement with spindles for both sides, and two other motors. The latter two run when the switch is moved, as evidenced by the noise and vibration, but the shafts coming out of them do not rotate. I was thinking one motor each for the front and rear of the seat, to give the tilting, and both together give raise/lower.
Your link to Aliexpress did not work for me, but I will search there later. I see options on eBay for 11, 12, 14 and 16 cm lengths and no vendor can tell me which I need, so I will pull the motors out today and measure the shafts.

I look forward to your guide, thanks.

Updating to say I got both motors out, one requires an 11 cm shaft and the other is 14 cm. No guarantees your car is the same. My car is 2002.

Last edited by cooldood; 04-04-2023 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-04-2023, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member

It is not impossible that I will be able today (the day just started here) to finish that seat-job of mine (the last few days it was pouring cats and dogs). Yes, I see now that my link somehow does not work.

This is a screen-shot of the item I bought (I bought 3, just in case, as I have 3 "X"s). The prices are in AU$.

That is the height-adjust motor taken apart with the 11cm spindle - left: old / right: new. Those parts on the spindle need to be transferred. Don't loose or forget that little plate (shown between motor and old spindle. It sits on top of the sprocket (the golden thing on the new part.)

To move all the parts over I had to grind off the old spindle on the other end. Later I saw that I actually did not have to grind off as much - possibly - as there is a "ring" inside of the outer part. But does not matter, as that old spindle is scrap anyway. To get the outer part back onto the new part I had to drill very slowly and carefully first into that part with a size 9mm drill. I did not drill all the way thru. It need just a bit of an ID increase.

Old 04-04-2023, 06:57 PM

Searching on Aliexpress does not seem to work too well for me, apparently nail fungus treatments fit a Ford Mondeo. I cannot find the repair kits there at all.
Ebay has a lot of Turkey based vendors, but needing 2 of 11cm and 2 of 14cm, it is going to be around $140.

I thought as much when I looked at the extracted shaft, the only option was going to be filing down the old one to get the other parts off. Nice tip that there is a ring in there, I will focus on that initially.

Good luck with your project.

Old 04-04-2023, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member

I would have thought that you find something on Aliexpress, if you enter a few different key words to search for...
I find quite a few by entering "Jaguar seat height adjust gear".

Completely without "filing" would not work - just maybe a bit less possibly. However, when I did my "filing" I did not actually use a hand file. I am a bit of an artist with angle-grinders - I used an angle grinder with cutting disc for my filing: Use protective gear incl. face-shield, if you do so as well.

Last edited by Peter_of_Australia; 04-05-2023 at 02:59 AM.

Quick Reply: X-Type Power Driver seat repair