Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-Type vs. S-Type

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-Type vs. S-Type

Good Afternoon,

I am a new member here. I currently have a Saab 97x SUV, Saab 9-3 Convertible and a 2007 Saab 9-3 which is off lease in 6 weeks or so. Brand loyalty?! LOL.

My wife wants to drive the SUV and our convertible is a weekend car so those cars are staying.

I am very interested in an x-type r s-type as I have always loved Jags, yet can't afford 50k for a nice XF. I have done extensive research on the s-types and x-types so here is my question...

Which one is more reliable? I have always been under the assumption that simpler designs equal less problems, so the very fact that the Xtype has an AWD system makes me think there is just more to go wrong, IE transfer case, etc.

I have driven both, like both although I seem to like the X a little bit better.

I am shrewd negotatior, any idea what I could could a good extended warranty for? It is so funny, none of these extended warranty companies will do instant quotes, they all want your number so they can call you and try the hard close...

Old 08-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Mike, you will find that there are big differences between the S-Type and the X-Type. While both are based on Ford bodies (Modeo for the X-Type, Lincoln LS for the S-Type), the S-TYpe is definitely more Jaguarish when compared to the X-Type. This if my view of the 2 cars and while I have never personally driven an S-Type, I am taking my info from the members here

X-Type:

Pros:
-AWD is good for snow and helps with the cornering of the car
-smaller, easier to drive
-has most of the "niceties" that people are wanting and can be had for fairly cheap

Cons:
-for cars of its class, mileage isn't all that great
-transfer case is the weak link. If you are planning on driving it hard and sporty, plan on putting in transfer cases about every 30K miles or so to the tune of about $3000 a pop.
-Tend to be "dime a dozen" for certain areas (very true of the central east coast area - from Baltimore, MD south to Norfolk, VA)

S-Type:
Pros:
-can be had with gobs more power than the X-Type can ever think of (specifically the S-Type R model).
-Simplier design (not AWD), therefore the driveline is more reliable (see note below)

Cons:
-Engine suffers from the common 4.0L chain tension issues
-Price difference can be significant between the X-Type, but you are also getting a lot more car for the additional money

If you need a car with all season driveability, The X-Type is the better choice. If you are looking for something to be sporty and have some fun with, the S-Type is the only way to go. If you are still torn, you will be happy with both cars, pick the one you like the color/look of.

As a side note, if you are planning on upgrading the car in the way of more power, then again, the S-Type is the only way to go. Granted, the options for power goodies is very limited with these cars. So, to get even semi-decent improvements, you are looking at serious money and 1 off setups.

The following users liked this post:
DougB (07-31-2013)
Old 08-08-2010, 06:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Three weeks ago, I was looking at both, too. Mine was a three-fold decision: 1) I preferred the AWD of the X-Type, 2) I have limited garage capacity thus the X-Type fit much better, and 3) I just couldn't find a manual shift S-Type ANYWHERE.

BTW, thanks Thermo for that very informative comparison.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Mike, you will find that there are big differences between the S-Type and the X-Type. While both are based on Ford bodies (Modeo for the X-Type, Lincoln LS for the S-Type), the S-TYpe is definitely more Jaguarish when compared to the X-Type. This if my view of the 2 cars and while I have never personally driven an S-Type, I am taking my info from the members here

X-Type:

Pros:
-AWD is good for snow and helps with the cornering of the car
-smaller, easier to drive
-has most of the "niceties" that people are wanting and can be had for fairly cheap

Cons:
-for cars of its class, mileage isn't all that great
-transfer case is the weak link. If you are planning on driving it hard and sporty, plan on putting in transfer cases about every 30K miles or so to the tune of about $3000 a pop.
-Tend to be "dime a dozen" for certain areas (very true of the central east coast area - from Baltimore, MD south to Norfolk, VA)

S-Type:
Pros:
-can be had with gobs more power than the X-Type can ever think of (specifically the S-Type R model).
-Simplier design (not AWD), therefore the driveline is more reliable (see note below)

Cons:
-Engine suffers from the common 4.0L chain tension issues
-Price difference can be significant between the X-Type, but you are also getting a lot more car for the additional money

If you need a car with all season driveability, The X-Type is the better choice. If you are looking for something to be sporty and have some fun with, the S-Type is the only way to go. If you are still torn, you will be happy with both cars, pick the one you like the color/look of.

As a side note, if you are planning on upgrading the car in the way of more power, then again, the S-Type is the only way to go. Granted, the options for power goodies is very limited with these cars. So, to get even semi-decent improvements, you are looking at serious money and 1 off setups.

Thermo thanks for this. Is the every 30,000 miles transfer case replacement set in stone? For example, they say that the older Saab 9-3s which I have one, are known to sludge, yet I have never seen any sludge in mine as I do frequent oil changes?

If this 30k mile transfer thing is true, I probably won't by an X. Is the manual any more reliable on these Xs in terms of the transfer case?

What if I drive it conservatively?

Old 08-08-2010, 07:17 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think the decision comes down to:

1. Style - Do you prefer the x type v. S Type? In my case, the exterior styling of the x type was a huge factor in buying the car. I really like the x type and recent XK designs.

2. Drivability - I came from an Acura TL and for most of the 3 years I've owned my X, I've also owned a Mercedes C280 4 Matic. I really like the rigid frame of the X. It feels and drives like a much more substantial car than either the TL or C280. I've only driven an S 3.0 and it's more sluggish than any car I've owned. So no way I'd get one!

3. Interior quality. This is one area where the interior of the S Type is both more spacious and higher quality than the X in subtle ways. If you're above 5 ft 11 in or so in height the X may be too compact for you.

4. Around here, RWD is a liability in the sense it can't really be your only car. So that would eliminate an S for me as well. Many of my friends with BMWs have a rough time during winters and stormy days.

Personally if a RWD jag was an option for me, I'd get an 07 xj8 over the S. X type styling with a great interior and more space. Also, the difference in price isn't that great v the 4.2 S Type.

The 06 and later x types are pretty rock solid. In fact 06 model year was when jag got JD Powers highest customer satisfaction award. My 07 X has cost less to maintain than my Acura TL or C 280. I've only had little stuff happen here and there but all covered by warranty so far. Squeaking emergency brake cable was the biggest item so far.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 11340
Size:  19.3 KB

The X type transfer case replacement every 30k is not necessarily cast in stone IMO....Its certainly a part of the vehicle to monitor very closely though for sure!
Check through the forum, there's been many write ups done on replacement, repair and general maintenance as the " sealed for life" scenario is just not workable.
Personally speaking I prefer the X over the S in terms of styling, however at 6'3" headroom etc was a major issue for me.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by JimC64
Personally speaking I prefer the X over the S in terms of styling
Ahemmmm Jim how could you...

Old 08-09-2010, 04:46 AM
Veteran member

Mike, the 30K mile transfer case replacement is not cast in stone. You drive the car sensibly and it will last you 200K miles with no problems. A lot of us are still on the factory case with over 100K miles on the car. But, if you intend to flex the kitty's muscles, it can cost you when it comes to the X-Type. A once in awhile thing will not hurt the transfer case. So, don't feel like if you get the X-Type you have to drive like an old lady. But, in the same breathe, understand that doing it day in and day out will lead to a shorter life.

You can get a long life out of the transfer case, you can get a short life. It really depends on how you drive.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

I take it it's like brake pads .I mean should you stomp the brakes and excessive braking at any condition you will have a short life of the pads .
As for the transfer case, if you abuse the car drive it like a Lamborghini , use LAUNCH CONTROL (left foot on the brake and right foot on the gas pedal and rev it up to 2500 RPM ) it will hurt the car .
But I think those driving habits will be damaging badly for any mechanical components regardless of brand .(MERCEDES - BENZ , BMW, AUDI )
Doing DONUTS will also hurt cars no matter what car you drive
I remember some broken headlamp parts (brackets may be ) for X Type but same parts are not broken for S Type and XJ .

Oh yes , styling I would go for X Type , it's just so cuttteeeeeeee

Old 08-09-2010, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by cadillac
I take it it's like brake pads .I mean should you stomp the brakes and excessive braking at any condition you will have a short life of the pads .
As for the transfer case, if you abuse the car drive it like a Lamborghini , use LAUNCH CONTROL (left foot on the brake and right foot on the gas pedal and rev it up to 2500 RPM ) it will hurt the car .
But I think those driving habits will be damaging badly for any mechanical components regardless of brand .(MERCEDES - BENZ , BMW, AUDI )
Doing DONUTS will also hurt cars no matter what car you drive
I remember some broken headlamp parts (brackets may be ) for X Type but same parts are not broken for S Type and XJ .

Oh yes , styling I would go for X Type , it's just so cuttteeeeeeee
If I buy the X it will be driven like a grandma. This is just transportation for me. My "fun car" is my 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible with Sports Package. Something about a turbo when going over 40+ (instant acceleration) is intoxicating. I plan on investing more money in that car with items like a bigger turbo system, new injectors, etc.

So basically if I drive the X like any other car, I will be okay. Good.

Now it is wagon vs. sedan...sort of torn on that one.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:32 AM

Is the 2.5 less likely to have the transfer case issue than the 3.0 due to less torque? Is the manual on either engine more reliable? I seem to read it is.

How much slower is the 2.5? Negligible mileage increases with a smaller engine isn't very important to me.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:16 PM
Veteran member

MIke, the guys with the 2.5L motors say that you have to get them wound up before they will make any decent power. But, at the same time, once wound up, they will be on par with the 3.0L motor. The 3.0L motors big advantage is the variable valve timing and the ability to make gobs of torque at low RPMs.

As for mileage differences, there is maybe 1 MPG difference between the two motors. If I was given a choice between the two, the 3.0L motor will win every time. But then, I like to flex the muscles every now and then. Not to mention it is fun to play with cars by keeping the RPMs down low and still keep up with them as they are pushing their cars.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:05 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile I had both

I owned an 03 X with the 2.5, and, traded it for an 06 with the 3.0. The difference between the two vehicles was about 3 - 4 MPG on trips. The 2.5 was smoother and quieter - like a gas turbine. The 3.0 had more bottom end grunt, and, was noticeably quicker. However, I missed the smoothness of the 2.5, and, the way it got on the cam and quickly wound its way to redline. The 2.5 has VVT as well. Anyway, a little over a year ago, I swapped the 06 X for an 06 S-Type VDP with the 4.2 V8.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Old 08-09-2010, 09:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

X-Type has the AWD which is great in bad weather.. Manual transmission which I prefer over automatic.

S-Type has the available 4.2 v8 and the awsome S-Type R!!!

Which one would you choose?

Old 08-10-2010, 06:52 PM
Veteran member

Pete, for a daily driver, give me the X-Type. For a toy to play with and have fun around town, the S-Type R.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:53 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Pete, for a daily driver, give me the X-Type. For a toy to play with and have fun around town, the S-Type R.
I agree with you 100%.. Now only if they made the S-Type R with a 6 speed manual trans...