X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The XE is starting to annoy me

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 07:39 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default The XE is starting to annoy me

As an x-type owner and Jaguar enthusiast, I have been watching some of the reviews of the highly anticipated XE. But something is really starting to annoy me here: every reviewer has to start out with a major put-down of the x-type, describing it as if it were an unworthy competitor to even the Yugo or a Trabant. Of course, some of these reviewers didn't even have a driver's license when the X-type first came out, and a lot has happened in automotive technology in the last 15 years. So I would tell them to give it a rest. Clearly, the x-type never ranked up with the Mercedes or BMWs, but in its time it was a pretty decent car. I still have an 02 Volvo S60, and until recently had an 02 Taurus, and when it comes time to drive somewhere I by far prefer driving the x-type. Even today, when I give someone a ride in it (someone other than an automotive reporter, they can walk), they can't help but remark on the classic styling or beautiful wood interior.
Anyway, just needed to vent about that.

Old 09-18-2015, 07:09 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

sawduster, don't let their words get to you. Smile, let people think what they want and enjoy the ride. Besides, it will make getting parts that much cheaper and if you ever want to pick up a newer X-Type, it is going to be that much cheaper. So, get in your kitty, go for a ride and smile the whole way.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

Sawduster.....never mind their criticism. They couldn't say enough good things about the car, that the X Type was based on, the Ford Sierrra, and Mondeo. As soon as you stuck AWD, a more powerful engine, a top of the line interior, and leaper on the hood, they berated it.

Don't worry too much, because these are the same publications that named the Chevy Vega, and Renault Alliance CAR OF THE YEAR. I try to stay away from anything they like. It is usually a shitbox, or way too expensive for a mere mortal to afford.

Enjoy your X Type. The only car I have ever enjoyed as much has been my XK8 convertible. Then again, there was over a $40,000 price difference, when they were new. I'm real glad I bought and fixed up someone else's garbage, so I could afford the XK8......Be cool....Haters always hate......Mike

Old 09-18-2015, 03:36 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sawduster
As an x-type owner and Jaguar enthusiast, I have been watching some of the reviews of the highly anticipated XE. But something is really starting to annoy me here: every reviewer has to start out with a major put-down of the x-type, describing it as if it were an unworthy competitor to even the Yugo or a Trabant. Of course, some of these reviewers didn't even have a driver's license when the X-type first came out, and a lot has happened in automotive technology in the last 15 years. So I would tell them to give it a rest. Clearly, the x-type never ranked up with the Mercedes or BMWs, but in its time it was a pretty decent car. I still have an 02 Volvo S60, and until recently had an 02 Taurus, and when it comes time to drive somewhere I by far prefer driving the x-type. Even today, when I give someone a ride in it (someone other than an automotive reporter, they can walk), they can't help but remark on the classic styling or beautiful wood interior.
Anyway, just needed to vent about that.

You can't rant of negative press while stating, "Clearly, the x-type never ranked up with the Mercedes or BMWs."

My X-Type continues to perform flawlessly.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:37 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, Thermo, you are right I could pick up another x-type for very little money. But then I read this article:
Why Is Jaguar USA Slashing Prices? Because They're Hardly Selling Any Cars - GOOD CAR BAD CAR

and I thought, given this trend, when the XE arrives I could just drive my X-type to my local Jag dealer, trade it in, drive off with a new XE and have money in my pocket. Or maybe they will pay me to drive off in a new XE just to give it some visibility.

It's interesting that Jaguar wants to forget the whole x-type "disaster". They sold over 61,000 cars in 2002 and more than half were x-types. In 2014 they sold only 15,000 cars, and have a 0.09% market share. They should hope for more "disasters".

Old 09-22-2015, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member

The article says they are not giving them away, but are adding $14,000 worth of extras, as standard equipment. I went through this with Audi, when they had an image problem. I think if Jaguar would have stuck with their design department's smooth flowing artistic lines, instead of imitating everyone else's slab sided Toyota Camry looks, they would not have gotten into this mess. You can ask twice or three times as much as a Cadillac, for a beautiful distinctive design, but you get lost in the crowd, if you follow the jellybean principal, where everything looks the same except for the color. The front ends look like a cross between an Audi, and a Corolla, and from the grill back, it could be any old Hyundai......Just my opinion......Mike

Last edited by mrplow58; 09-22-2015 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

BMWs have had some serious issues over the last 10+ years, often overlooked by the media. (Maybe BMW lend them more carefully checked cars or for longer or something.)

It's tough selling more cars when there's an oversupply, indeed quite a large oversupply.

(I wonder how many diesels VW/Audi will manage to sell now...)

The following users liked this post:
mrplow58 (09-23-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 04:27 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

sawduster, Jaguar admits that they have an image problem (got this first hand when I went to London for the XE world premiere). The problem as they see it is that Jaguar is seen as an "old man's car", not a "new and hip vehicle". Hence why they are coming out with the XE. Get something in the range that most people are willing to spend on a vehicle to get them into a Jaguar. Once they have their claws in them, then they are figuring they can upgrade them to something bigger and better. The big issue is a lot of people are willing to spend say $40K on a sedan, but are not willing to spend $55K (base XF). So, they are not even considering the Jaguar line (new or used).

As for the "bad X-Type" mantra that a lot of people are talking about, if you are in Jaguars shoes, would you want to also make that clear separation of vehicles? Yes, the X-Type was one of the best selling vehicles that Jaguar has ever made, but why is that? Was it a high quality car (we would say yes, but what is the perception when related to the XJ)? No, it was a jaguar that could be had for the same cost as a 3 Series BMW or most Cadillacs or other cars of the like. Jaguar is hoping for that same interest with the XE, just keeping a separation of "old jaguar" from the "new Jaguar".

Old 10-02-2015, 10:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
sawduster, Jaguar admits that they have an image problem (got this first hand when I went to London for the XE world premiere). The problem as they see it is that Jaguar is seen as an "old man's car", not a "new and hip vehicle". Hence why they are coming out with the XE. Get something in the range that most people are willing to spend on a vehicle to get them into a Jaguar. Once they have their claws in them, then they are figuring they can upgrade them to something bigger and better. The big issue is a lot of people are willing to spend say $40K on a sedan, but are not willing to spend $55K (base XF). So, they are not even considering the Jaguar line (new or used).

As for the "bad X-Type" mantra that a lot of people are talking about, if you are in Jaguars shoes, would you want to also make that clear separation of vehicles? Yes, the X-Type was one of the best selling vehicles that Jaguar has ever made, but why is that? Was it a high quality car (we would say yes, but what is the perception when related to the XJ)? No, it was a jaguar that could be had for the same cost as a 3 Series BMW or most Cadillacs or other cars of the like. Jaguar is hoping for that same interest with the XE, just keeping a separation of "old jaguar" from the "new Jaguar".
Interesting... Now the question is, is it a bold move to trade it an X type (that in the future might be a classic) for a new XE ?

Old 10-03-2015, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member

Anything will become a true classic, when it get's old enough....maybe not Pintos, Renault Alliances, and Vegas, but most everything else. I don't think any of the jelly bean styled cars, that are currently driving around will ever become classics, unless they are melted down, and made into something better.

Now even the gutless Camaros, Firebirds, Corvettes, and Mustangs are starting to sell at collector auctions. Who would have ever thought a 150 hp Corvette would have ever been thought of as being collectible?

In short, style always comes to the top, even if it depreciates fast, when new. XKEs in the 80s were selling for less than $2000. When we moved our dealership, we left 2 XKEs behind, because they were just not worth the effort. Stick with style, and you can't go wrong. If it looks like everything else, chances are it will always be a turd......Mike