X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

xtype won't start

Old 08-05-2012, 05:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xtype won't start

suddenly won't start, turn key and no click,nothing...lights flash on dash...can't get out of park...the car is an automatic xtype 3.0l, 2006,
battery is charged, tried boosting also,...nothing,
suggestions???

Old 08-05-2012, 06:21 PM
GGG
Received 16,760 Likes on 12,149 Posts

Joedy,

This sounds like one for the X-Type experts but before I move your thread over to that section, have you tried:

1. 'Lock - Arm - Disarm' sequence to double check the security system is deactivated

2. with the ignition key in position II. Press the brake pedal to disengage the gearshift interlock and then try starting in Neutral

Graham

Old 08-05-2012, 06:52 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Joedy, when you say lights on the dash flash, which lights? Could you be a little more specific. Also, what year are we dealing with here? That may affect some of the things that may or may not be the issue.

I would start with what GGG said and go through the Arm/Disarm procedure just to make sure that the car does not think that you are "breaking into" the car. Next, do you have a spare key? If so, try using that key to start the car. We have seen where something happens to a key and in the end, the key just needs to be reprogrammed to the car or a new key is needed.

One last check just to eliminate possible suspects. What I want you to try doing is getting into the car all the way and close the door. Now, turn on one of the map lights. Now, as you rotate the key, watch the light. Does the light remain at the same brightness, dim some, or go out completely?

We will get you back on the road, just need to do some diagnostics on the car to determine if it is a starter issue or if it is the security electronics that are causing the issue.

On a side note, I have visited your area of the country and I loved my time up there. Road a train that left out of there and then went about 100 miles west. Gorgeous country up that way.

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (08-05-2012)
Old 08-05-2012, 11:22 PM

i only have to keys, no fob to automatically lock/unlock doors, no security system
the car is xtype sedan 2006 3.0L
when key is inserted in the ignition, initially all the alarm lights ABS, oil lamp, etc turned on now only these lights are on and dim slowly, when ignition turned to position 3 there is no click, nothing
but when key turned off, then the gauge needles move up and down slightly for a few seconds, very bizarre
I will try your above suggestions, car is not at home, is in town where would not start, will post after your advice
thanks

Old 08-05-2012, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
Joedy,

This sounds like one for the X-Type experts but before I move your thread over to that section, have you tried:

1. 'Lock - Arm - Disarm' sequence to double check the security system is deactivated

2. with the ignition key in position II. Press the brake pedal to disengage the gearshift interlock and then try starting in Neutral

Graham

#1, don't know what that sequence is, there is no security system,, just a key to unlock the door and lock it as well as sstart the car?

#2, tried the ignition key in position II, and pressed on brake gearshift remained locked and can not move it into neutral,, car is automatic transmission not manual

thanks for any advise,
Joedy

Old 08-06-2012, 02:58 AM
GGG
Received 16,760 Likes on 12,149 Posts

Joedy,

1. you don't have a key fob like this?

xtype won't start-x-type-key.jpg

2. The 'interlock' prevents you moving the gear selector out of P (park) until the brake is pressed. The vehicle will only start in P or N (neutral).

Did you try Thermo's check with the map light?

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 08-06-2012 at 03:01 AM.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:53 AM

Graham, correct I do not have a FOB like your picture, just two keys (bought vehicle used and that is what it came with only
Even if I press on the brake it will not let me move the gear shift out of Park
I am going to the car now and will try the suggestion from Thermo

Old 08-06-2012, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Joedy, when you say lights on the dash flash, which lights? Could you be a little more specific. Also, what year are we dealing with here? That may affect some of the things that may or may not be the issue.

I would start with what GGG said and go through the Arm/Disarm procedure just to make sure that the car does not think that you are "breaking into" the car. Next, do you have a spare key? If so, try using that key to start the car. We have seen where something happens to a key and in the end, the key just needs to be reprogrammed to the car or a new key is needed.

One last check just to eliminate possible suspects. What I want you to try doing is getting into the car all the way and close the door. Now, turn on one of the map lights. Now, as you rotate the key, watch the light. Does the light remain at the same brightness, dim some, or go out completely?

We will get you back on the road, just need to do some diagnostics on the car to determine if it is a starter issue or if it is the security electronics that are causing the issue.

On a side note, I have visited your area of the country and I loved my time up there. Road a train that left out of there and then went about 100 miles west. Gorgeous country up that way.

When I turn the map light on, no light is on, and no light comes on when I turn the ignition to position II

By the way the train you speak of is the Algoma Rail train that goes north/west of town and beautiful vistas, awesome in the fall with all the brilliant reds,

Old 08-09-2012, 07:20 AM

thank you for all your help, jaguar is back on the road purring, the problem seemed to be multifactorial, the solenoid and starter, with battery fully charged and cell filled with fluid started making a clicking sound when turning the ignition, with fixing the solenoid and started it is starting again without problem, YEAH!