X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another (but different) wheel sound.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 06:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! I thought I would give a little update on the situation.

After trying everything I couldn't get the noise to go away. On top of that, I started getting a deep rumbling noise from the wheel. This one I was pretty sure it was a bearing going bad.

Then I flew back home in Europe for the holidays, fast forward a month, I get the car back, stil both noises. I take it to a mech, sure enough the deep noise was the bearing, which got changed.

And lo and behold, BOTH noise are gone! I have to admit I'm a bit skeptical on this one, I cannot figure why the squeaking didn't seem speed sensitive if it was the bearing.

So anyways, case closed, thank you very much to everybody who took the time to try and help!

Old 02-17-2017, 10:23 AM
T.C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a new member and having just read through all the posts, I was just about to add that the more I read, the more I was convinced it was a wheel bearing issue as I had exactly the same symptoms and problem on my 2009 X-Type.

Downside was that the bearing was so far gone, the bearing had actually welded itself to the hub. £200 worth of parts and labour later, problem solved.

I only had one side go, but like you it was not speed sensitive, it was actually corner sensitive.

It got louder going into a left had bend and it quietened down on right handers.

Anyway, glad you got it sorted.....