XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

XE reveal - huge disappointment

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 11:02 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Perhaps its me but the XE front end is a hybrid of the Fusion and XF front ends. I own both cars From the Fusion the sharp grille angle and bonnet/hood as well as the lights long and narrow with body panel lines dropped down for more sporty appearance. From the XF a compact grille and the curved side wings, similiar but more bird like-hawk eye lights . I makes sense since I thought he designed the fusion for mass appeal.

I think I will trade the fusion in 2016 for my wife.

Last edited by bollocsk187; 09-14-2014 at 11:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bollocsk187:
Lothar52 (09-15-2014), SteveSheldon (09-15-2014)
Old 09-14-2014, 11:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Did the Series I etype have wood trim?
No, not as standard anyway - actually, I can only find a couple of images of an E-Type with a wood dash, and I don't know if those are original. It may have been an option.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:48 AM
Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngarara
No, not as standard anyway - actually, I can only find a couple of images of an E-Type with a wood dash, and I don't know if those are original. It may have been an option.
Ummm...amcdonal86's original question was rhetorical/ironical/sarcastical, obviously to be answered with a snort through the nostrils. No way that any E-Type on the face of the earth ever left Browns Lane with a wood dash....

Old 09-26-2014, 08:02 AM
Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Bellanca_XF
Imagined as a coupe, looks pretty good though I would make the doors a bit larger.

Jaguar XE Sedan Becomes Coupe in PhotoShop

On another note I wonder if the "Q-Type" will launch at the same time as the XE in the US.
Thanks for the XE Coupe link - I hope that Jaguar Land Rover North America, LLC is paying attention and providing feedback to the Mother Ship. My '09 BMW 335i Coupe (my all-time favorite daily driver) will be due for replacement in the next couple of years, and the current 4er BMWs have drifted (in a bad direction) as far as my interests go. I would love to have an XE Coupe to consider.

Old 09-27-2014, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

As far as I can see, this car is totally new in almost every aspect. I think it is just the transmission and differential that is used on other cars, everything else is new and fresh to the market place. With this in mind, Jaguar are clearly nervous about letting it loose on the US market before early issues with the car have been sorted out. From what I see in this forum and my general knowledge, the US car market place is lucrative for most car makers, but can severely punish those who have cars that are unreliable, or need expensive repairs. Just look at Alfa Romeo; dead in the US for over 25 years !

The vast bulk of XE production will have the brand new Ingenium 4-cylinder engines and this is a totally new engine, built only about 50 miles from me in Wolverhampton in a brand, spanking new factory. So a big risk when this is your main seller if the engine suffers problems. These problems could be as simple as assembly errors, but when several thousand get out there into the hands of customers, you have a major problem.

So If I were Jaguar, I'd like to have things under control for a short while so problems can be sorted out and no adverse publicity generated.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
As far as I can see, this car is totally new in almost every aspect. I think it is just the transmission and differential that is used on other cars, everything else is new and fresh to the market place. With this in mind, Jaguar are clearly nervous about letting it loose on the US market before early issues with the car have been sorted out. From what I see in this forum and my general knowledge, the US car market place is lucrative for most car makers, but can severely punish those who have cars that are unreliable, or need expensive repairs. Just look at Alfa Romeo; dead in the US for over 25 years !

The vast bulk of XE production will have the brand new Ingenium 4-cylinder engines and this is a totally new engine, built only about 50 miles from me in Wolverhampton in a brand, spanking new factory. So a big risk when this is your main seller if the engine suffers problems. These problems could be as simple as assembly errors, but when several thousand get out there into the hands of customers, you have a major problem.

So If I were Jaguar, I'd like to have things under control for a short while so problems can be sorted out and no adverse publicity generated.

I would too.

Only thing is, a lot of these "toys" they are advertising as new and unique are already in the new c class and 3 series, like for example the gauges that reflect on the windshield and the apps in the screen panel. They might not be that novel once the car goes for sale if that is what they are banking on.

Old 09-28-2014, 05:18 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Spike, they may not be that novel when you are looking at the cars you mentioned, but remember, they are shooting for the person that is coming from a more simple car (your Fords, Chevy's, Dodges, etc) into a higher end car. So, while it may not be a new and novel idea, it may be the deciding factor between them buying a Jag and buying something else.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:41 AM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by yidal8
... So far from the pics and videos of the reveal in London today, this XE is BAD - not gonna cut it. Jag chickened out and went totally conservative and cheap.
The rear end of the car is a huge f-up. The interior is plain/drab, dash full of plastic, tiny buttons, looks like lowly base Range Rover LR2 or something.
How can I go from XF to this ? this is not a Jag in my book. What a disaster.

That's the exact same way I felt when I first drove an XF. I went to my local Jag dealer to test-drive it, and when I sat in it for the first time, my initial reaction was "how could this possibly be a $50k+ automobile?" When I then sat in the XJ, I knew that was the car for me. However, since that point in time (2.5 yrs ago), I've since driven an XF several times as loaners when my XJ was in for service, and I've grown to appreciate the XF styling and handling. So give the XE some time.

Originally Posted by MeatBag
I wasn't a fan of the XF when it came out - at all - but it has grown on me to the point where maybe I could see buying one. (I still don't like the new XJ and it's "hideous" vertical taillights).
Interestingly, that's one of the features I like most about the XJ. Well, there's no accounting for taste, lol.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:59 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Just watched a video on Jaguar's YouTube page, apparently there will be two variants of both the diesel and gasoline engines. The gas engines are rated at 200/206 and 240/250. I was expecting a bit more from the top tier 2.0 but I guess that leaves a 100hp gap between it and the XE S.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

idk why everyone is complaining so much, its a gorgeous little car. I will admit it is kind of lame they keep talking about making an amazing new car when it looks just like the XF and XJ and the interior is too boring for me, but its a cheap jag. There should be more of them. Jags entire bit used to be that they offered cars the same or better than the competition for a fraction of the price and in the last 30 years they have developed into a marque that refuses to sell cars to normal people.

The E type was something like $25,000 2015 dollars, come on.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:10 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
idk why everyone is complaining so much, its a gorgeous little car. I will admit it is kind of lame they keep talking about making an amazing new car when it looks just like the XF and XJ and the interior is too boring for me, but its a cheap jag. There should be more of them. Jags entire bit used to be that they offered cars the same or better than the competition for a fraction of the price and in the last 30 years they have developed into a marque that refuses to sell cars to normal people.

The E type was something like $25,000 2015 dollars, come on.

I was just about to call BS on your $25,000 E-Type...

The original price of the roadster in late 1961 was $5,595. The Fixed Head Coupe was $5,895.

Jaquar E-Type 1961-1967 | Hemmings Motor News

According to a calculator from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), $5,595 in 1961 has the same buying power as $44,507.76 today.

Inflation Calculator: Bureau of Labor Statistics

While $44.5K is quite a bit more than $25K, it is still much less than I expected.

The new F-type starts at about 50% more.

To me, this shows the impact of government safety and environmental regulations, plus the fact that car buyers desire ever more luxury and gadgets.

Maybe the XE is priced fairly after all.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Not to mention the wealthy have more money to burn than ever!

Although you could easily spend $45k on a non-luxury vehicle these days...

Old 10-29-2014, 05:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XE - Good in segment BUT

The XE is a nice car, but I am struggling with whether it will make you feel special, as a Jag should. The interior is just like the opposition. This is safe and probably will be successful. I am used to XJ's XJS and even an X-type. All of which have an X factor that makes you feel good just being in them. Will the XE, I am not sure.

Old 10-29-2014, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaguarx300#
The XE is a nice car, but I am struggling with whether it will make you feel special, as a Jag should. The interior is just like the opposition. This is safe and probably will be successful. I am used to XJ's XJS and even an X-type. All of which have an X factor that makes you feel good just being in them. Will the XE, I am not sure.
So am I, but Jaguar has to follow the money or go bankrupt, and the fact is there are just not enough of "us" as opposed to "them".

The following users liked this post:
Spikepaga (11-01-2014)
Old 10-29-2014, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18,454 Likes on 7,442 Posts

I get the impression that many who are disappointed in the XE were expecting a 'knock-yer-socks-off" type maybe similar to the F-Type.
I gather that corporate wanted an entry level type to introduce Jag to the people who haven't thought about it and to try and persuade others to look and hopefully buy one.
Needs to be competative and QUALITY above all else.
With Jags perceived reputation as not being reliable, this may be their last chance to get into the market. (Just my opinon, of course).

Old 10-30-2014, 05:29 AM
Veteran member

Jayt2, you are correct in that Jag is looking for a car that can draw in those that haven't thought about jag before and to get the new up and coming executives into a Jag. So, yes, there will be somewhat of a conservative approach taken and going with what all others have too.

The following users liked this post:
Jayt2 (10-30-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 06:14 PM

They do have to appeal to the masses, though I don't think if it had a little more F-Type in it would hurt it, I think it would actually help bolster sales. But I also think it was naive to think they would basically offer a car that was very close to the F-Type for ~$30K less.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:53 PM
Veteran member

Bellanca, when I did my trip over to London, they were very clear that while the XE is going to share a lot of components of the F-Type, it will be by no means a "4 door F-Type". The big thing will be that the F-Type has a true leather interior where the XE is going to get more of a "conventional" leather interior unless they are going to add an option for an interior upgrade. Kinda like there is no official word from Jaguar that the 5.0L motor will be available for the XE. So, when it comes to performance, the XE is going to be the "slow poke" of the Jags. Granted, the underpinnings of the car will support the 5.0L engine (granted, looking, Jaguar is trying to get away from sourcing the 5.0L motor from Ford as much as they can).

Old 10-30-2014, 08:27 PM

I was speaking more from a design standpoint. Like slimmer taillights and integrated door handles. If it's light it shouldn't have a problem getting out of its own way. I'm impressed by the performance of my XF with the 3.0L and I have no doubt the XE-S will be a good bit quicker.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
So am I, but Jaguar has to follow the money or go bankrupt, and the fact is there are just not enough of "us" as opposed to "them".
Have they really followed the money? In the 7th year of XF production and 5th of XJ, how does it compare with pre-2009 XJ sales and S type sales, because here in Houston there seem to be many more of the older models than the new ones. Even driving thru River Oaks which is the finest neighborhood here, I see more "traditional" Jaguars than new.

I would be very interested in seeing an objective report of how sales truly compare, not taking Land Rover into account. It seems that the only response you get when you ask this question is to senselessly bash the old cars as "boring", staunch and then alleging that only people over 80 liked those cars (tremendous fallacy), . I keep on hearing how they need this new XE to "survive", well isn't that what he new XJ and XF where supposed to do? Perhaps they need to change their paradigm a little bit. Maybe not every every single car in the line up needs to look exactly like the XF. Maybe some cars could look a little more traditional while others more modern. Maybe they have discarded a whole demographic of people who bought Jaguars because they looked a ceratain way. I may be one of those "crazy" traditionalists under 33, but right now the only car that can replace my daily driver X type is the C class. Because it conveys a sense of continuity and connection to its predecessors and is distinctly MB..... And I don't really even like Mercedes!

Quick Reply: XE reveal - huge disappointment