XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

XE reveal - huge disappointment

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 08:08 PM
Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts
Default XE reveal - huge disappointment

I'm on my 3rd XF, and was interested to see how Jag spent the 1+ Billions they did and bring to the table a the 3 series, A4/S4, C series, etc. killer, that I may be interested in. So far from the pics and videos of the reveal in London today, this XE is BAD - not gonna cut it. Jag chickened out and went totally conservative and cheap.
The rear end of the car is a huge f-up. The interior is plain/drab, dash full of plastic, tiny buttons, looks like lowly base Range Rover LR2 or something.
How can I go from XF to this ? this is not a Jag in my book. What a disaster.

Last edited by GGG; 09-15-2014 at 06:59 PM. Reason: double post deleted, read the forum rules again
The following users liked this post:
bollocsk187 (09-14-2014)
Old 09-08-2014, 08:14 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Quit beating around the bush and tell us how you really feel!

Lothar52 (03-13-2016)
Old 09-08-2014, 08:41 PM
Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

I think the exterior looks great, the interior definitely still looks dated, and the price starting at $43.5k for the 2.0T is a little rough...unless they start with a good number of included features. A buddy pointed out though that they are going to have to have really aggressive leases in order to move units, because that is what their German rivals do so well.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

It's hard to tell from the limited photos, but I think this car could be a real winner. In the segment, it looks much more distinctive. The interior may be cheapened a bit compared to, say, the XJ, but it is at least on par for the class. I hope it drives well because that seems to be a stumbling point for many jags compared to the competition.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

Everyone should reserve judgment until we can see it in person. I've seen a bunch of cars in photos that I loved, but when I saw them in person, they didn't translate. Others looked a bit awkward, but when I saw them in person they worked. So I refuse to love or hate anything until I see it. If it does turn out to be wrong, I'll be the first to admit it. Not a Jag apologist, but willing to give them the opportunity to sink or swim.

SteveSheldon (09-09-2014)
Old 09-09-2014, 01:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The reveal was a joke, but the car is not to bad. I'd like to take one for a test drive for sure.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:14 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

What questions do you guys have about the car. I have seen it in person and I will be posting more pics of the car. I can answer a lot of your questions. Unfortunately, they would not let us get a good view of the interior or be able to touch the surfaces to see how they really feel.

As for the car's options, it is going to be right on if not above what a 3 series or other offer. Seeing the real car, I also have an insight as to what will be available on the car (my guesses, nothing would be confirmed by Jaguar). All the nice things they offer, this car will offer, but improved.

The one thing that I was surprised to see is that they are not offering an R version. They are doing the different packages much like they did the X-Type (standard, most likely a limited edition (not confirmed by anyone), and then a Sport model). They will be offering the supercharged V6 in the car, so, it will have lots of pickup. As for AWD, again, this is something that they are being mum on, but I am sure that they will offer it to keep in line with the rest of the cars in the Jaguar lineup and also to keep on par with the offerings of the competitors.

Ask away. I will answer what I can. I have gotten a pretty good insight to this car and set a few of the Jaguar members back because I was pointing out bits of the car and asking if that it related to a given feature. I could tell by their eyes that I was pretty close if not spot on. But, all they would answer with is "I am not at liberty to discuss that at this moment". Understandable. All the details will be officially released October 2nd.

The following 7 users liked this post by Thermo:
andrew lowe (09-09-2014), Five Speed (09-11-2014), henry k (09-09-2014), Ngarara (09-09-2014), Shimmere (04-10-2015), SteveSheldon (09-09-2014), Trooper2142 (09-09-2014) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-09-2014, 03:53 AM
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

What do you think about the Alloy Wheels,i Hate them I prefer a Wheel that looks the same know matter what side of the car that it's on meaning that the shaped spokes are either facing forwards or facing backwards.And thanks for a good report Thermo.

Regards

Tom

Old 09-09-2014, 04:19 AM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Do you know if the weight they listed(3,249lbs) is for the XE-S or for the base 2.0? Did they discuss any of the color/veneer options? I'm curious if it has the active exhaust setup like the F-Type S.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:16 AM
Veteran member

Bellanca, considering that the XE is using a lot of the same things from the F-Type, I would anticipate that a lot of the color options that are available on the F-Type will be transferred over to the XE. The one thing that I am not seeing/hearing is the R-S special trim in the XE. What I am seeing is this is going to be a scaled back version of the F-Type to help keep the costs down and put it in the price point that they are looking at.

Trooper, no mention of what the wheel choices would be. But, like I mentioned to Bellanca, this car is sharing a lot of the same components with the F-Type. So, if there is a wheel that you like on the F-Type, it most likely will be available on the XE.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

No V8 version? We as long as they stick to it if hate to buy a V6 just to have a V8 come out later! Yes what did they say about the exhaust... Will it growl and scream?

Old 09-09-2014, 06:15 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

I have a history of disliking almost every new Jaguar on first sight so I'll give the XE a little time to grow on me.

Graham

The following 4 users liked this post by GGG:
andrew lowe (09-09-2014), Five Speed (09-11-2014), Ritsuke (12-17-2014), SteveSheldon (09-09-2014)
Old 09-09-2014, 06:19 AM
Veteran member

Lothar, there is no V8 planned at this moment. But, since the car is using a lot of the F-Type structural components, sliding in a V8 later should not be a problem. But, no one has made that mention as of yet, not even a "you didn't hear this from me, but ……" I am speculating on my part about the V8 in the future.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:20 AM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Thanks for the info, Thermo. And even though they're being mum about an R and R-S version I wouldn't be surprised to see them.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:38 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

If the V6 fits under the bonnet the V8 will too, is a question of when, not if.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo351
If the V6 fits under the bonnet the V8 will too, is a question of when, not if.
XE-R.... It's gonna happen.... I just wonder how the cat would handle with all that power!! It's a lighter car than the F-type. Wonder if V6 is the limit? Maybe the R would be the 380hp V6 version.

This cat is set to move on 3 series.... BUT WHAT ABOUT THE 4?!?!?

2 door version in the works??

Old 09-09-2014, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I hope they will put a manual transmission on this one. At least for the base model!

Old 09-09-2014, 08:01 AM
Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts

What I'm trying to say is the WOW factor is totally missing, the design is not new but reminds a bunch of other cars. They played it so safe, it's embarrassing.
When the XF came out - it was polarizing/WOW/risk taking move. Same for the new XJ, F-type(s).
This thing? the Germans have absolutely nothing to worry about in the design department anyway.

I really hoped to downsize from my XF in a couple of years, as I want something smaller, more nimble, but still a Jag.

Some of the press thinks likewise.

2016 Jaguar XE S First Look - KickingTires

Spikepaga (09-09-2014)
Old 09-09-2014, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

Yidal, when have you looked at a 3 series or C class and said WOW either?? They take little baby steps with each generation. I do like the look of the A4 and ATS, but they aren't revolutionary either.

Most if not all manufacturers are moving toward having the entry car look like a smaller version of the premium model. And if imitation should make the originator change, then Bentley should have changed years ago when everyone started stealing design elements. They didn't and they still have the identity, not the imitators.

The F-Type is a halo car worthy of dreams and posters. An XE will never be that. So don't damn Jaguar for keeping it simple for this model. They need to move units and keeping with a design language that has already been well received by many (including yourself) is not a bad strategy. Many think the XF is a beautiful car and would love to have one. But they don't have $60K to buy a new one or aren't willing to take the risk of buying used.

All I'm trying to say is that the XE has a market...a tough one, but doable. Give it a chance figure out where it fits and then wait for the next generation or face lift to tweak it. Hopefully it drives very well because the reviewers will love the weight savings and it will hit BMW hard if the dynamics are there along with the power and luxury for about the same price as a 328. Jag will lease it cheap to get them out there, because that's the market. And then the public will decide if they approve or disapprove.

Remember, they aren't targeting the step down Jaguar buyer like yourself. You want OMG for less than an XF because you've already HAD an XF. Most entry level buyers want to FEEL like they got an XF, for less money. And most people are fairly naive about the quality of a car and will buy it because they like the F-Type and it has the same engine or just because it's something new to the market and they want it be first to have it.

I'm in sales and talk cars with many of my customers. Most have no clue and want a car like this as a fashion statement and not as a precision driving tool. As long as it's pretty and new, women will buy it. That's not meant to be sexist either. It's just that they want something different than their friends that makes them feel special. And the Jaguar nameplate says "special" like Coach or Chanel. Men will buy if the magazine says it's as good or better than BMW, etc. AND that it's something new and different.

If they can translate any of the soul of my XFR to this model, it will work. But the proof will be in the pudding.

The following 4 users liked this post by 2010 Kyanite XFR:
Adam B (12-27-2014), Andahaion (09-09-2014), Napoleon Solo (09-09-2014), SteveSheldon (09-09-2014)
Old 09-09-2014, 09:51 AM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by yidal8
What I'm trying to say is the WOW factor is totally missing, the design is not new but reminds a bunch of other cars. They played it so safe, it's embarrassing.
When the XF came out - it was polarizing/WOW/risk taking move. Same for the new XJ, F-type(s).
This thing? the Germans have absolutely nothing to worry about in the design department anyway.

I really hoped to downsize from my XF in a couple of years, as I want something smaller, more nimble, but still a Jag.

Some of the press thinks likewise.

2016 Jaguar XE S First Look - KickingTires
Personally, I like it. No, they didn't come out with a stunner like the F-Type but remember the F-Type already had a concept by which to build on which was the E-Type. The XE has no such predecessor so Jaguar went with what was/is familiar. I'm waiting to see how this thing drives and if it's really good, I'm in. After all, the XF is one of the better if not the best looking luxury sports sedans on the market so a smaller version won't be hurting anyone's eyes.

The following 2 users liked this post by MarcusXFR:
andrew lowe (09-09-2014), SteveSheldon (09-09-2014)

Quick Reply: XE reveal - huge disappointment