XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

AWD Binding/Locking up

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts
Question AWD Binding/Locking up

Anyone with a AWD getting a front wheel " Skipping" Chattering" when you first drive the car if you cut the wheel all the way?

Now that it has gotten cold out it is happening more and much worse, granted I have the 20" wheels s the tires are super thin but this shouldn't be going on?

How to recreate: Cold start the car or start the car after it has been off and locked (Sleeping) for 20 min or more. Put in drive and pull out your parking spot etc with the wheel cut all the way and you can see the front wheel shutter/skip on the dry ground just off idle and no throttle or very little throttle. This will happen for the first few turns and then go away and only come back upon the next start up.

I tried both tire PSI settings and even turned off DSC fully to see if it was trac coming on. ITs almost like the axles are binding or acting like a life axle. IF i am in a parking garage then it is horrible, people always see it and hear it so I know it is bad and must be looked at.

Old 12-16-2016, 03:24 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't know how severe your issue is (maybe take a video ?) but I have noticed something similar on my car

It happens when I use a decent amount of gas accelerating from a stop with a full or almost full lock. It feels like torque is being distributed from outer wheel to inner one but in a jarring manner. Like wheel suddenly got torque from the engine. It is not super smooth.

However, it does not bother me that much and definitely does not feel like something is wrong with AWD system. It's just you can feel power shifted from axle to axle, wheel to wheel.

It sounds like you are having a "worse version" of this issue. Maybe your diff is acting up or is not lubricated well enough?

Old 12-16-2016, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member

Imagine that you are in a FWD Civic and go into a turn too hot and cut the wheel al the way. The front tires would skip " Shutter" and you would still go straight. I am uploading a video now but it is from the inside of the car but you still can hear it very clearly.

I had my wife watch it from the outside and she says it looks like the wheel is skipping on the pavement and possibly riding on the sidewall as if it had positive camber.

It did this in hot weather but now it is 15 degrees here and the car is going it much worse now.

Old 12-16-2016, 03:44 PM

It can be due to having overly sensitive torque vectoring system.

As you might know, on XE, torque vectoring is electrical instead of mechanical. It applies brakes on inner wheels when you are cornering. Ideally, it should help in high-speed corners.

But maybe it is working overtime in your car and that's why it looks like your inner wheel is skipping/being braked?

Does the same thing happen with ESC fully off?

Old 12-16-2016, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, same thing happens in any drive mode and with DSC OFF. The car is only going 2 mph at max when it happens and seems to be both front wheels that do it.

Here is the video, listen how it sounds like someone beating on a body panel. The sound is the front tires only that are skipping on the road. Rears sometimes do a quick slip but that is super minimal.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:21 PM

I don't want to scare you or anything but that sounds bad. As you said, it literally sounds like the tire is rubbing against the body/suspension of the car. I expected like tire squeal or something similar but what I heard definitely sounds like a different problem.

The dealer should put it on a lift and diagnose the issue. I hope everything will go smoothly.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

It might just be the all wheel drive starting off aggressively, until it warms up a little. The early awd systems would try to drive the inside wheel aggressively and cause chatter when you turned at full lock.. it was nothing to be concerned about.
Anyway, the feeling would transfer through to the steering wheel a bit at full turn so you would get a vibration in the wheel for a minute. Actually my last jeep cherokee did this as well.
Lawrence

Trending Topics

Old 12-17-2016, 09:24 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Weird question. You said you have the 20in propeller wheels, do you still have the summer tires on or have you changed them out?

Old 12-18-2016, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member

I have the summer tires on but it has done this even in 70-80 degree weather, just worse now.

Even if that was the issue I don't think it is valid since the car is going under 3 mph for the tires to skip around. After I drive it for a bit I can take any turn at any angle and it is fine.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:44 PM

Can't speak to it doing it when warm, but what you describe sounds like what my summer tires did on all 4 of my Corvettes when it would drop below 35F or so. Front tires only and only at low speed and would go away after the car/tires warmed up. Those things get hard as a rock in cold temps and wouldn't grip and just skip along while low speed turning. Sorry if this is not relevant to you, just trying to help. Good luck tracking it down!

Old 12-18-2016, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member

I know what you mean about summer tires i the cold but in my case the tires only do this for the first 2-3 turns after each start up no matter what the temp is.

If I was the dealer I would quickly blame the summer tires also until I seen the scenario reproduced under all temps presented. Now I just need the dealer to call me back so I can bring it in for service of the long list of defect I have made.

I really hope there is a major Infotainment update available.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:51 PM

Ah got it. Good luck! Also, i had the big ICTP update soon after it was available in early November and it solved all the issues i had with the infotainment system.

Old 12-25-2016, 12:01 PM

Let us know what the dealer will have to say. I hope there will be nothing serious.

Old 12-26-2016, 06:59 AM
Veteran Member

The dealer will get he car this week to look at it but now that I study the defect more I think I have an idea what it is.

For the XE's configured exactly like mine and have the 20"s on them It think the issue is this bad due to the adaptive dynamic suspension and wheel speed sensors possibly. Since the car goes to sleep and then has to relearn the first few miles each time you drive it the effect is 100% reproducible.

Now if the XE doesn't have the suspension option and the 18/19 inch wheels I think the huge sidewall cushion of the smaller wheels and tires hide/mask it as compared to the ultra rigid low profile 20' tires. Track guys will know what I mean by this I am sure.

A simple SW fix would fix this if Jaguar identifies this or they may just mix it off as I am only the second person with this issue at the same 2 local dealers in my area. In 70-80 degree temps outside it is not a huge problem but now in the 20-30 temps it is horrendous.

If this only did it in the cold temps then I would quickly blame the summer only tires that Jaguar put on this AWD car but it happen even in hot temps or even when the tires are heated up.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:19 PM

Did they find out what was wrong with the car?

Has it been fixed already?

Old 01-10-2017, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member

They called me and told me it can NOT be fixed/repaired and the dealer can NOT to doing anything further so they called Jaguar Corp and await a response. They had the car for 2 weeks now and Im getting worried as I love my XE.

Old 01-10-2017, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by BigCat09
They called me and told me it can NOT be fixed/repaired and the dealer can NOT to doing anything further so they called Jaguar Corp and await a response. They had the car for 2 weeks now and Im getting worried as I love my XE.
Sorry to hear that.
I guess they could not diagnose the issue? or their personnel is not trained enough to perform that particular repair?

Anyways, hope it gets solved soon.

What I'd recommend is to ask your dealer if they could put 18in rims on it and see if the problem persists. At least that way you can know if it is a mechanical issue or there is a problem with wheels/tires.

Old 01-11-2017, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member

Dealer called just now and said they ave a fix and will update me after on wha the fix is..