XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Center Digital Console Display

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 09:31 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Center Digital Console Display

Wondering if there is an issue with my center console or does it need some kind of programming? so until today I wasn't really paying attention, although I did wonder why it is so, but my center console would always just display "Tuning" above the center line and "FM" below when radio is on. FM didn't really concern me since I was listening to FM radio but I couldn't figure out why the top was always just saying Tuning. I took my car for service today and got a Range Rover with what looks like a very similar infotainment including an almost identical center console. When listening to music this console actually displays the station number and song being played instead of the "Tuning" message. Is there something wrong with mine or do I just need to set it up?

Old 02-08-2017, 09:55 AM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

While your car is in for service you might ask the service manager to look at the InControl display. What you describe I've never seen on my unit... I did not have to "set it up."

Old 02-09-2017, 12:01 AM
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the same "tuning" message and wonder what it would take to get the station and song displayed.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:59 AM

They are going to call me before starting to work on the car, I will ask them to look at it and if solution is found or whatever I am told I will let you know.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:31 PM
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Keep in mind, we've got TWO display screens for the driver to see, so depending on how you've set up the menu, we might not be talking about the same "tuning" message.

I have the 8-inch standard intouch main screen (not the 10-inch Pro version). So if I am playing a radio station, and I have chosen HD-radio ON, the 8 inch screen will play the station with NO tuning message at all.
But I might hear a slight fading of the sound now and then.

At the same time, I have the TFT screen (the little driver's screen that sits between the speedometer and the RPM indicator dial)---I have that set to display the radio station too. And the TFT WILL give me that "tuning" message every time the radio station I'm listening to gets a little weak.

So, your "tuning" message may be indicating your radio reception is a bit difficult in your driving route--or that your favorite HD radio station is fading out a bit.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:38 PM

I explained from the start I was talking about the display between speedometer and RPM indicator. I don't believe this has anything to do with radio station fading out. It always says tuning, I had a range rover for a week and it shoed song and artist just fine on the same route. I now believe its how the XE was designed (even though it makes no sense) or possibly this will get fixed with some software updates later on. It seems everyone sees the tuning message.

Old 02-21-2017, 03:09 PM

LOL, okay.

It's just that I read your description as simply "the center console", and I know to some, the center of the dashboard can be confused with the center of the driver's cluster.

But you CAN set the car to disable that message on your cluster if you want. If it's annoying, go into the 'vehicle display' menu on your center console (LOL, the driver's center console), and pick another item to display while you're driving.

I prefer not to see the radio stations through my steering wheel...

Old 02-21-2017, 03:12 PM

Yes I have already changed this a week ago to show the Jaguar logo after the dealer did not fix it.

Old 02-21-2017, 03:13 PM

I thought I was specific to saying its between the speedometer and RPM display btw.... maybe that was in a later post.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same message between the speedometer and RPM meter when playing the radio. When playing radio, it shows tuning, when playing BT music, it displays the song title. I think its a poor radio signal. Radio reception is not that great in this car. Can't get anything but static in the garage. Other cars have played fine.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by rgun2515
I have the same message between the speedometer and RPM meter when playing the radio. When playing radio, it shows tuning, when playing BT music, it displays the song title. I think its a poor radio signal. Radio reception is not that great in this car. Can't get anything but static in the garage. Other cars have played fine.
I'm not quite ready to call the reception poor (a modern radio set up with standard + HD radio, and ready for Satradio too---can't be the same animal as what we had in our cars 6 years ago.)

I have found that in HD radios, "tuning" is actually the automatic programming of the radio trying to stay on the sharpest part of the station as your car travels. It's not that it's LOSING the station, it's just being unnecessarily picky about actively fine-tuning.
There is an option in the intouch menu called "manual tuning" which may stop the radio from automatically fine-tuning all the time.

OR, try using the radio with the HD radio OFF (your area may not even need HD frequency much.

Old 02-24-2017, 02:16 PM

So I notice one thing this week. When I change the radio station it actually displays the song and the radio station for a quick second and then goes back to displaying tuning.