XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Cool video showing normal vs. dynamic mode

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 06:10 PM
JagForums Town Crier
Received 154 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Cool video showing normal vs. dynamic mode

I think I'd likely leave my XE in Dynamic Mode all the time, but I guess there are some folks who wouldn't. There's more info on the HP, but you can watch the video below.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:06 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This video doesn't really explain or show any useful information in regards to two different modes I saw it before and was wondering why they would waste the time to record this :P at first I thought it would show the times for 0 to 60 in each mode but I don't see it doing that.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:20 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I'd guess the difference in 0-60 time has more to do with TrasDSC mode being used in the second run (dynamic) than with normal vs dynamic mode...

Old 02-17-2017, 06:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Was hoping for a real explanation.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

Useless to me, I use normal most of the time because of the throttle inputs. When I want to stab it I use Dynamic and TRAC OFF. If I drive normal this way then it feels to on/off ( Pulsey) like and not fun to drive. Kind of walking a pitbull without a leash.

Other than that I really don't se much of a difference from Normal to Dynamic, well the heavy steering feel but thats about it for me.

Old 02-17-2017, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Steering is the most obvious with throttle a little touchier. I am with BigCat09 and just use normal most of the time. I don't take traction control off. Learned my lesson trying to get squirrly in XJ350...

Old 02-17-2017, 01:48 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Steering is the most obvious with throttle a little touchier. I am with BigCat09 and just use normal most of the time. I don't take traction control off. Learned my lesson trying to get squirrly in XJ350...
I think in Dynamic mode the transmission downshifts more eagerly and does a better job of rev matching when using the paddles.

Yes, turning the TC fully off can be both fun and regretful. It is quite fun in snow though

Old 02-18-2017, 11:22 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I prefer using dynamic mode because I find the shifts smoother and also because of the louder exhaust note. My favorite is dynamic with sport and shifting myself. Now THAT's fun

Old 02-20-2017, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Demetre Gvaramia
I think in Dynamic mode the transmission downshifts more eagerly and does a better job of rev matching when using the paddles.

Yes, turning the TC fully off can be both fun and regretful. It is quite fun in snow though
I often turn Trac all the way off and stab it around corners and she still points and shoots just fine. I tried to get it to lose it but she is just to damn predictable much unlike my mistress'. Maybe its the AWD and TQ Vectoring etc but I find it to stay in control. I wanton go to an empty lot 1 day soon and test its limits in a safe open area to learn its behavior more.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:03 AM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by BigCat09
I often turn Trac all the way off and stab it around corners and she still points and shoots just fine. I tried to get it to lose it but she is just to damn predictable much unlike my mistress'. Maybe its the AWD and TQ Vectoring etc but I find it to stay in control. I wanton go to an empty lot 1 day soon and test its limits in a safe open area to learn its behavior more.
It will be more difficult for you due to larger/grippier tires but try doing it in rain. It can do nice four wheel slides when it is wet enough.

You are right though, XE has a lot of grip for the type of car it is.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:04 PM
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

That's the same range of feedback we read across all the forums about the XE. Some of us are heavier in foot and hand than others, and can't detect enough of a difference in the mode that they can take advantage of while driving,... while others of us have to pack goose feathers into out shoes and wear turn off the music just to keep Dynamic Mode from snatching the car out of our hands as we accelerate.
The Mode IS significantly different, but we all don't drive a car in the same way that makes Dynamic exploitable.

I suspect this is the reason why Jaguar elected to add an automatic timed-disable feature to Dynamic Mode (so it turns off bu itself after several hours of non-use):

It's really meant to open up the car more for those professionals who have the more granular feel and sensitivity to these kinds of builds. More than just "switching to Sporty gear" does.
Those drivers can do wonders with this car! I've seen it. The majority of the rest of us will only get bruised or worse (definitely the latter, if you're novice rubbish like me).

As always, Jaguar's attitude towards operation of the beast seems to be that the car should always be a hair's breath away from switching automatically switching back to an "auto" drive state of motion... possibly because they know the car is proficient and we're mostly insane sods who will quickly bend this powerful machine around our neighbor's cow, if it's not prepared to intervene and take back gearshift and DSC at the first hint that we've bobbled up.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:09 PM
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

...And my DSC always stays on TracDSC.

It's my preferred state.

Full DSC wants to protect you like mother in the crib. TracDSC at least let's you go out and play in the fenced-in back yard.

And full DSC-OFF, means you've run away from home at age 13!!! Seriously, be careful. I visit these forums so I can read how much fun we're having,... not that we lost a member in complete wash-out.