XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Feedback on Options: InControl Touch Base vs. InControl Touch Pro

Old 10-20-2016, 01:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feedback on Options: InControl Touch Base vs. InControl Touch Pro

Hello all!

I'm interested in purchasing an XE & just joined the forum. This would be my first Jag - switching over from BMW & Infiniti. I test drove a Prestige and an R Sport and am thinking of building an XE to my liking and waiting the 3 months for it. Here's what I know so far about my build:

Model: R Sport - Supercharged V6 AWD w/ 19" Venom wheel option
Exterior: Italian Racing Red
Interior: Choosing between Jet with Oyster Stitch or Jet with Oyster Inserts
Packages: Comfort/Conv. Package

What I need help with deciding on:
Technology package: Sound system has always been a must for me and I have a surround camera system in my current car and LOVE it, so I'm leaning towards adding this package. I also liked the pinch and zoom feature on the 10" Pro and the quality of the Nav graphics. But it sounds like the Pro system is a bit buggy after spending some time reading this forum. And did I read correctly that the base InControl offers voice navigation, but the upgraded Pro system does not? My salesman could not get the voice nav to work with the Pro system when I did my test drive, but it worked just fine in the base system. Any input/reviews on your choices would be great.

I also wanted to ask if anyone has the heads up display and what their thoughts are on it?

Thank you!

Chrissy

Old 10-20-2016, 03:01 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Standard Meridian Sound System ha 380W and 8-10 speakers I think and it sounds quite good. XE has a relatively small cabin so I don't think you can significantly benefit from upgraded sound system.

The following users liked this post:
cqxe (10-21-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 05:36 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I have the upgraded (Pro) navigation abd the voice directions work just fine. From what I understand, the Pro navigation has a bigger hard drive and thus works better than the base version. It does not seem buggy at all.

cqxe (10-21-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 06:05 PM
Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

If it helps Chrissy, there is a major bugfix upgrade expected soon for the ICT Pro system. If you like toys it sounds like a definite 'must have'. The only thing that would put me off (assuming the upcoming fix does exactly that) is that SMS support isn't great - or so I have read.

As an aside, I am sure I have seen a youtube vid somewhere that had a 'mute' button on the navigaton menu. Which suggests that voice commands are there somewhere.

cqxe (10-21-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

Hi!. My missus has the 25T R sport in IRR, jet with oyster stitching, and venoms. It is a beautiful car. I thought the oyster inserts looked nice as well though she was happier with the full black seats.

One thing I'd see if I could option is a full leather steering wheel. It is bizarre, but I think the wheel is some sort of artificial material and it actually gets an odour when it is in the sun. (strangely enough the spec says it has a leather steering wheel but you could have fooled me).

The higher spec stereo is awesome, perfect for rock/techno music.

With the HUD, it is a little hard to see if you are wearing polaroids in the day, but very easy to see at night. The car was a dealer build and we took what we could get, but I'd have to say that the HUD is a winner and works well with the low seating position - we dont look at the dash anymore and the nav instructions go up there as well. Just bear in mind though that the HUD comes with the infared whatever windscreen which then creates issues with radar detectors and some toll things.

Last edited by BruceTheQuail; 10-20-2016 at 08:33 PM.
cqxe (10-21-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 08:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by booklaw1
I have the upgraded (Pro) navigation abd the voice directions work just fine. From what I understand, the Pro navigation has a bigger hard drive and thus works better than the base version. It does not seem buggy at all.
Really? I have the pro system and there is definitely no voice commands at all. To clarify, the ICTP can provide voice directions (e.g. "Turn Left in 1/4 mile.") but you cannot use voice recognition to enter addresses or points of interest like you can on the standard 8" system. I had a loaner over the weekend and the 8" system was far, far easier to use. A real life comparison:

ICT 8"
1. Press Voice button on steering wheel.
2. Say "Find Next Denny's"
3. "There are multiple entries listed on the screen. Please pick one.
4. "1"
5. "Shall I start guidance?"
6. "Yes"

ICTP 10"
1. Press tiny icon on lower left side of screen.
2. Press Search
3. A warning comes up "Your car is offline... would you like to search offline?"
4. Press Yes
5. Enter "Dennys"
6. First it shows a map, usually of the whole USA with a town named "Dennys" in Montana selected.
7. Press back arrow.
8. Hopefully, a list of Dennys will appear, only two per page and one of them is usually over 100 miles away. If you type anything wrong, it will show dentists.
9. Scroll down until you see the one you want.
10. Select it.
11. Press Start Guidance
12. For some reason, about 10% of the time, it will forget everything you've done and go back to the main navigation screen. Go back to step 2.

This is not an exaggeration. Also, the sound isn't that great but I'm no audiophile so what do I know... It does look much better than the standard system though but it's about 3 software updates from being easy to use (Just like iDrive was when BMW first came out with it).

To find an address
ICT
1. Press Voice Command button
2. Set Destination "123 Fake Street, Fooby, California"
3. "OK"

ICTP
1. Press "Address"
2. Press "City/ZipCode". Enter "Fooby". Wait for search to complete (~2 seconds)
3. Select "Fooby" from list
4. Press "Street". Enter "Fake". Wait for search to complete (~2 seconds)
5. Select "Fake" from list.
6. Press "Address"
7. Enter "123".
8. Wait for it to show map
9. Press "Start"

cqxe (10-21-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 09:34 AM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I agree that the Pro navigation does not allow you to speak your desired address, etc.

I was referring to the fact that the Pro navigation itself speaks the directional information.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by booklaw1
I agree that the Pro navigation does not allow you to speak your desired address, etc.

I was referring to the fact that the Pro navigation itself speaks the directional information.
Agreed but it's unclear what the OP was asking about.

I should also mention that ICTP does have a proper British voice option which makes it sound just that much more posh.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Hi!. My missus has the 25T R sport in IRR, jet with oyster stitching, and venoms. It is a beautiful car. I thought the oyster inserts looked nice as well though she was happier with the full black seats.

One thing I'd see if I could option is a full leather steering wheel. It is bizarre, but I think the wheel is some sort of artificial material and it actually gets an odour when it is in the sun. (strangely enough the spec says it has a leather steering wheel but you could have fooled me).

The higher spec stereo is awesome, perfect for rock/techno music.

With the HUD, it is a little hard to see if you are wearing polaroids in the day, but very easy to see at night. The car was a dealer build and we took what we could get, but I'd have to say that the HUD is a winner and works well with the low seating position - we dont look at the dash anymore and the nav instructions go up there as well. Just bear in mind though that the HUD comes with the infared whatever windscreen which then creates issues with radar detectors and some toll things.
Thanks Bruce! I'm leaning towards the oyster stitch myself. Glad to hear your lady loves hers. I'll ask my dealer about the steering wheel and see if I can test drive one of the cars with the HUD. Glad to hear you both like the HUD!

Old 10-21-2016, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by CaliforniaJag
Really? I have the pro system and there is definitely no voice commands at all. To clarify, the ICTP can provide voice directions (e.g. "Turn Left in 1/4 mile.") but you cannot use voice recognition to enter addresses or points of interest like you can on the standard 8" system. I had a loaner over the weekend and the 8" system was far, far easier to use. A real life comparison:

ICT 8"
1. Press Voice button on steering wheel.
2. Say "Find Next Denny's"
3. "There are multiple entries listed on the screen. Please pick one.
4. "1"
5. "Shall I start guidance?"
6. "Yes"

ICTP 10"
1. Press tiny icon on lower left side of screen.
2. Press Search
3. A warning comes up "Your car is offline... would you like to search offline?"
4. Press Yes
5. Enter "Dennys"
6. First it shows a map, usually of the whole USA with a town named "Dennys" in Montana selected.
7. Press back arrow.
8. Hopefully, a list of Dennys will appear, only two per page and one of them is usually over 100 miles away. If you type anything wrong, it will show dentists.
9. Scroll down until you see the one you want.
10. Select it.
11. Press Start Guidance
12. For some reason, about 10% of the time, it will forget everything you've done and go back to the main navigation screen. Go back to step 2.

This is not an exaggeration. Also, the sound isn't that great but I'm no audiophile so what do I know... It does look much better than the standard system though but it's about 3 software updates from being easy to use (Just like iDrive was when BMW first came out with it).

To find an address
ICT
1. Press Voice Command button
2. Set Destination "123 Fake Street, Fooby, California"
3. "OK"

ICTP
1. Press "Address"
2. Press "City/ZipCode". Enter "Fooby". Wait for search to complete (~2 seconds)
3. Select "Fooby" from list
4. Press "Street". Enter "Fake". Wait for search to complete (~2 seconds)
5. Select "Fake" from list.
6. Press "Address"
7. Enter "123".
8. Wait for it to show map
9. Press "Start"
This pretty much sums up my experience, too, CalJag. My salesman said that the voice commands for nav works great in the Pro system, but I'm glad I checked here because it was clear that he wasn't very familiar with the tech. He even asked someone else to assist and they searched for the "mute" setting and couldn't find it or demonstrate the nav either. The base version voice commands for nav worked fine when I tested it, but canceling the route once it was accepted was not as intuitive as my current vehicle. I think I will need to spend some more time with both InControl systems to see what I can live with... and can't live without. Thank you for the input!

Old 10-21-2016, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by stever_51
If it helps Chrissy, there is a major bugfix upgrade expected soon for the ICT Pro system. If you like toys it sounds like a definite 'must have'. The only thing that would put me off (assuming the upcoming fix does exactly that) is that SMS support isn't great - or so I have read.

As an aside, I am sure I have seen a youtube vid somewhere that had a 'mute' button on the navigaton menu. Which suggests that voice commands are there somewhere.
Thanks Steve! Yes, hopefully the bugs in the Pro system will be addressed soon in an upgrade. I was definitely impressed with the quality of the 2D and 3D graphics and the larger screen in the Pro system. That blew away the base system. I'm also a music nerd so I would prefer the upgraded sound system. I did read somewhere that the Spotify app was recently added to Jaguar's approved apps so that is good news. Hopefully they will also add Pandora. I currently have Apple Car Play in my vehicle so I'm used to a seamless experience when it comes to music.

Old 10-22-2016, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I would get all the options whether they are highly praised or not. I really dig the head's up display; works well. Big NAV screen looks great.

BigCat09 (10-26-2016)
Old 10-23-2016, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by cqxe
Thanks Bruce! I'm leaning towards the oyster stitch myself. Glad to hear your lady loves hers. I'll ask my dealer about the steering wheel and see if I can test drive one of the cars with the HUD. Glad to hear you both like the HUD!
I took the XE out yesterday - the wheel is definitely leather. The odour comes from the material that covers the dash. But I have a sensitive snout - most people probably wouldnt notice it.

Old 10-24-2016, 02:47 PM

1st get what "you" want... I ordered an XE Prestige back in June with Incontrol Touch Pro...it came in two weeks ago...and the voice guidance wasn't working. They claimed it needed a software update...they did that and it still didn't work...they had to open a ticket with Jaguar USA. This all took place on the day I was to accept delivery...needless to say I pulled the plug on the deal. I also noticed at that time that the Nav does not accept voice commands...so no adding an address while driving... I was somewhat disappointed as I had waited 3 months but I guess everything happens for a reason...

Old 10-26-2016, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

My Pro lets me add Nav address while driving by typing. It wasn't locked out but the time it takes to boot up really sucks.