XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Front License Plates

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 04:54 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Front License Plates

Guys,
Just wondering for those living in states where both plates are required, how many are actually installing the front plate? The dealer asked me if I wanted to do front and that some people don't but I am a bit worried over getting pulled over. I am planning to tint my windows also and I bet those two things will give the police more reasons to stop the car. So far I have the rear only but thinking about getting the front installed during my service appointment. I feel bad to drill holes in the front of the car but its better then getting ticketed. Anyone without front plates, especially NJ, with any experience with this?

Old 01-28-2017, 06:30 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RaffiNJ
Guys,
Just wondering for those living in states where both plates are required, how many are actually installing the front plate? The dealer asked me if I wanted to do front and that some people don't but I am a bit worried over getting pulled over. I am planning to tint my windows also and I bet those two things will give the police more reasons to stop the car. So far I have the rear only but thinking about getting the front installed during my service appointment. I feel bad to drill holes in the front of the car but its better then getting ticketed. Anyone without front plates, especially NJ, with any experience with this?
NJ requires dual plates. As does rest of the Northeast except PA.

You might get pulled over and ticketed for 100-125$ (not sure what the exact amount is in NJ)

Old 01-28-2017, 06:45 PM

I know NJ requires both, I was asking if anyone out there has had any experience with not installing the front plate .... as in if the cops give them trouble.

Old 01-29-2017, 01:17 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't screw the holes! There are plate brackets on eBay that you can attach to your tow hitch. That's what I did and it works great. I can take it off whenever I want and I don't have to worry about any hideous holes in the bumper. Besides, it looks terrible covering up the grille on the XE.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:01 AM
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I have no front plate on my weekend C7 Vette and so far I've been lucky, no ticket. But on my jag daily driver I felt the need to put a front plate on and not take a chance.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:04 AM
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Here in the Los Angeles area they do not pull people over but they ticket the car while it is parked. In WLA they are very aggressive, at least my experience.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:56 AM

To be honest babyjag I do not like this look at all, other then the fact that you didn't need to drill holes it just looks awkward to me. From what I saw at the dealer the plate just covers a tiny bit of lower grill, but I do get why you wouldn't want to drill holes and I would prefer not to do that either.

Old 01-29-2017, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

MA, front plates are required. I have not used a front plate since 2000, maybe even further back. I have been cited twice, both time parked at a meter near a particular town's city hall. I have been pulled over several times in 15 years (0 points currently & for a long time) and not one officer has cited me or even questioned the front plate.

On the XE, someone backed into my front bumper causing enough damage to replace the whole bumper cover. I did not notice until the next day. I had the police come to my house and file a police report. They were in my garage looking right at the front bumper with no plate. They were digging the car though...

It comes down to how your carry yourself and whether you drive like you want to be pulled over (at least in MA). Jaguar owners are pretty low on the police radar. XJ8 is one of the least pulled over cars on the road...

Old 01-29-2017, 07:07 PM

yes MA is the secret word here I think NJ may not be as friendly to these kinds of behaviors :P but you did make me feel a little better about keeping them off. I am not a fast driver by any means and drive safely, but with this car it is going to be hard to always go slow and that's what worries me. With the faster car, tinted windows and no plates the chance is that much higher if you know what I mean :P

Old 01-30-2017, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member

Does a no plate violation add points your insurance? It does not in MA.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:55 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

FWIW, I didn't put the front plate on until a month later when my plates came in. I wasn't stopped once. I guess it depends where you drive.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:12 AM
Received 4,176 Likes on 3,639 Posts

so glad that South Carolina doesn't issue front plates as they serve no useful purpose

Old 02-01-2017, 04:54 PM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Baby Jag, I like the off-center mounting. I called the local Ferrari dealer and asked how he did it. The kit came from Go Mini Go in Oregon. Extremely well made and IMHO adds a nice touch. In AZ we only have rear plates. In ILL it is both and having one missing will get you a $100 ticket quite quickly.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

When I got my XE I made sure they never mounted it so the front stays clean. No front plate for me in NJ.

BTW, I hear the front plate law possibly may be gone sometime this year.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BigCat09
BTW, I hear the front plate law possibly may be gone sometime this year.
I heard the opposite; that front plates were going to be mandated nationally. I can't see how states with no front plate would go to allow it. Governors would be in the hot seat at election time...

Old 02-03-2017, 02:39 PM

I heard both ways last year. I actually saw an article that they may get rid of front plates in NJ to save money.... but later on when I tried to find this information I found articles saying they will not be doing it..... none of these seemed very official so I guess its still a toss up?

Old 02-03-2017, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

I rather eat the ticket, or maybe my shiny badge in the window will be enough. I won't drill holes in my sexy front bumper. No tow hook or other gadget either.

Old 02-03-2017, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by BigCat09
I rather eat the ticket, or maybe my shiny badge in the window will be enough. I won't drill holes in my sexy front bumper. No tow hook or other gadget either.

Yeah I do have the county sheriff card in the wallet, maybe that will help out as well :P

Old 02-03-2017, 11:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I also specifically told the dealer no front plate or the deal was off. I got the STO N SHO from Zic moto sports. the main bracket is installed under the front bumper using the existing hardware and the plate can be quickly installed or removed.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:41 AM

can you post a pic of how it looks on the car?