XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Power for windshield devices

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 09:43 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Post Power for windshield devices

Is there any documentation on how to safely get power from the rear-view mirror area, so I can power my dash-cam and radar detector? I'm currently using a long cable, taking a very long route but I want to keep it short and simple. Thanks in advance! C-Los

Old 03-22-2017, 10:45 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

I am not sure how helpful this will be but I am using a triple 12V adapter that I bought on Amazon. I have positioned it in front of the gear selector (fits perfectly) and is plugged in 12V socket inside the armrest.

Needless to say, it works perfectly for charging phones or powering the radar detector.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:52 AM

My goal is to directly wire to the closest place possible and not have coiled cords dangling down from my windshield. I just don't want to start pulling on things, only to find out the hard way that I shouldn't have done that.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:03 PM
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Not sure about the XE, but in XF there is a fuse panel in the passenger foot well on the side wall. I'm sure that XE has it there too...

Anyway, I tapped my dashcam there. I was considering the dome lights and the mirrors, but the fuse box is easier, believe it or not

Also I'd advise you to buy a vertically oriented dashcam if you didn't do it yet. I had to give up my blackvue because there is really not a place to put it. I ended up buying A119. Slight loss of quality, but tremendous gains in ergonomics.

Last edited by ololly; 03-23-2017 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by ololly
Also I'd advise you to buy a vertically oriented dashcam if you didn't do it yet. I had to give up my blackvue because there is really not a place to put it. I ended up buying A119. Slight loss of quality, but tremendous gains in ergonomics.
Yep. A119 is what I'm using. The quality has been great actually. Just make sure you have the latest firmware installed. I've been happy with it. I just want a cleaner install. Will work on that this weekend if time permits.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:46 AM
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by C-Los
A119 is what I'm using. The quality has been great actually.
The quality is great, no question. Just slightly worse than my blackvue Just a tiny bit...

Old 03-29-2017, 08:07 AM
Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Windshield Mount Radar will not perform well on XE

C-los, just wanted to let you know that your Radar Detector will be heavily filtered by the RF-Reflective windshield on the Jaguar XE. The Jaguar Windshield has a mico-mesh (metallic) layered in-between the glass layers on the front...they do this for UV rejection, however it had the additional effect of insulating the radar detector from rf sources.
So your radar detector will NOT work properly as it will have no forward range, and you will just get a ticket.

I've tested distances through my windshield on my passport and my V1, and I assure you that you need to go with a remote installed radar detector on the XE, or nothing.

You can test this yourself by parking in front of a known radar source and getting a reading through the window (even through the dot-matrix behind the mirror), and then holding the unit out the window for comparison. The sensitivity loss is very dramatic. Total bummer.

The following users liked this post:
C-Los (04-14-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by Austin7
C-los, just wanted to let you know that your Radar Detector will be heavily filtered by the RF-Reflective windshield on the Jaguar XE. The Jaguar Windshield has a mico-mesh (metallic) layered in-between the glass layers on the front...they do this for UV rejection, however it had the additional effect of insulating the radar detector from rf sources.
So your radar detector will NOT work properly as it will have no forward range, and you will just get a ticket.

I've tested distances through my windshield on my passport and my V1, and I assure you that you need to go with a remote installed radar detector on the XE, or nothing.

You can test this yourself by parking in front of a known radar source and getting a reading through the window (even through the dot-matrix behind the mirror), and then holding the unit out the window for comparison. The sensitivity loss is very dramatic. Total bummer.

Well, that sucks, don't it? UGH!! Thanks for the head's up.