XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Pulled the trigger

Old 02-25-2017, 08:18 PM
Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Pulled the trigger

Stopped by Cherry Hill Jag in southern NJ today to just look around. That in and of itself is dangerous.

Took out a dark blue metallic, latte interior XE Portfolio. AWD, supercharged V6, vision package, electronics package, comfort package. Just one step below an R-sport. Aprx 58K sticker. Only thing missing is the adaptive cruise etc package, which isn't a big deal for me.

I have a '13 XF with 3 years on the note still (I'm not upside down, to the contrary). Well...working the numbers with the sales droid...it turns out that for the same amount of time as I have left on the loan, I can get into this fine auto on a lease, 12K miles a year (I work from home...so my commute is from the bedroom to the office 2 flights downstairs), for $50 less a month than my note is costing me. And, at the end, (about the time I get itchy for a new ride...), just turn back in and drive off with a new one.

Late saturday afternoon...didn't bring checkbook (thankfully, or I would have left him 10K right there...) so don't think the car will move between now and Monday morning...so...

Any thoughts from XE owners with the supercharged 6? Issues? Wishes it did X? FWIW, my XF was a manufacturer demo out of JLR in Mahwah before I purchased it from the same dealer I visited today (oh, yeah, their trade was right at the middle between what I've been lowballed at other dealers and what NADA says it should be worth, and they added in, I guess, JLR owner loyalty bucks of 2K on top of their trade offer--maybe helps that I bought the car from them originally).

Figure since I have a few years to pay off the XF, it will be a 7 year old car when it is paid off...for the same time period I can get into a brand new ride, full warranty, and still be at the same point in 2020 as I would have been with the xf, only in a 4-model year newer car...flip it over to a new one and keep going.

Thoughts? That V6 supercharged certainly does get out in dynamic mode...and handles a treat. A bit noisier than my XF, (and XJ8...) but not too bad. But the handling...ride...equipment level...can certainly see myself behind the wheel...

Old 02-25-2017, 10:35 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I have a 35t r-sport XE. It's a really sweet car. I've driven a couple of XF loaners, and I very much prefer the XE. It's less of a boat... more responsive.

The following users liked this post:
bdboyle (02-27-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I went with the lease over payments. Figured 3 years in the XE and I can walk away free to buy or lease something else. No notes over my head. By then, if I still want an XE, there will be a V8 one or something like an RS version.

If you are leasing, I would go fully loaded as the options all work pretty well. Not big jump in lease price. Get tire/rim insurance....

Old 02-26-2017, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

Lol...are you sure you aren't a car salesman!!!
I personally did not have a good experience when I tried leasing so it is not a route that I would ever take again, but from your description it makes sense for your situation as the car will mostly be sitting in your driveway. Go for it!!!

Old 02-27-2017, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by booklaw1
I have a 35t r-sport XE. It's a really sweet car. I've driven a couple of XF loaners, and I very much prefer the XE. It's less of a boat... more responsive.
I LIKE BOATS! (lol)

Having an XJ8 and XJR in the garage too, know what you're saying. It is a sweet car.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I went with the lease over payments. Figured 3 years in the XE and I can walk away free to buy or lease something else. No notes over my head. By then, if I still want an XE, there will be a V8 one or something like an RS version.

If you are leasing, I would go fully loaded as the options all work pretty well. Not big jump in lease price. Get tire/rim insurance....

These days, you almost always NEED tire/rim insurance. I'm not a big fan of low-profile tires. Hit a bomb crater here in the NE, and there is no 'give' and you end up bunging up the rim. Agree fully; even the XJR has (for its time) low profile shoes...and spent 300 truing up and straightening the rims just after I picked it up.

The one I'm looking at has all the packages other than the driver dynamics package. There are few R Sport models around in the color and interior I want. Figure I'm spending the darn money...not going to compromise.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:59 AM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I purchased my XE in early September, 2017. Since then I've had to buy two new tires and one new rim. Another rim was bent out of shape and was repaired.

Very glad I bought the tire/rim insurance!

Old 02-27-2017, 11:34 AM

Well...the one that Cherry Hill was pushing (which was in New Rochelle NY...dealer swap...) turned out showed up in their online inventory, but was sold saturday but hadn't hit the network yet at unavailable.

So, tried my hand at Willow Grove. Went in there with the same data, same car to trade ('13 XF Portfolio). They matched the deal, which included the windshield shade, rubber mats for the cabin and trunk, interior care kit, and mud flaps for the same price...and the difference in residual between NJ and Philly dropped the 39 month lease 75 USD less than I'm paying on a note that would end same time as the lease. No brainer.

So...pick up Thursday. Not the dark sapphire I wanted, but the darker red (not Ital Racing Red...stands out too much.

17 XE 35t Prestige, AWD, cold, vision, comfort, technology packages. Sirius/XM radio add. 58K all in.

I like the color. A bit darker than the Carnelian Red I currently have.

Latte interior. These two are a dealer demo, which was one level (Premium...) down from mine (mine is still in New Rochelle...hasn't been unwrapped yet, still in shipping protection...but was the mate with exactly the same options as what I was looking at...at the same dealer).

Excited. Took the demo out for a ride...hey I just spent a pile of money...they told me to take it to SWMBO, take her out for lunch...my better half asked if she could drive it to work... Guess she likes it. So did I when I got on the loud pedal on the way back to Willow Grove. I have to say, they made the deal smoothly, weren't going to match Cherry Hill trade number...I got up to walk out...guess what? They stopped me at door with 1K over Cherry Hill's offer. End of the month, right? All smiles in the end (considering my XF is only 38K miles, still under CPO, and looks as nice as the day I picked it up 2 years ago...no dents, no chips, clean interior, all services done...)

Last edited by bdboyle; 02-27-2017 at 11:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

Enjoy!

Old 03-01-2017, 12:00 PM

Salesman called me up to tell me my car had arrived; so I took a jaunt over to the dealer to take a quick look.

14 miles on her. They had already unwrapped the car from the shipping protection, and were busy updating the software; tech said 14 updates plus the latest nav were being installed. Mentioned the start-stop...got a 'well...search online...there are ways...but I can't tell you...' LOL. Still to be done were installing mud flaps (I really don't like stones getting thrown up onto the lower sills) and detailing the car out. Detailer was waiting for the mechanical stuff to be done, and showed me what he uses: Griot's Best In Class paste (not the bottle), and the satin tire finish. Interior had already been cleaned and detailed out. Stuck my head in the open passenger side window and breathed the scent of new leather. Nothing like the scent of a new car. I swear they do that on purpose.

They also include the summer carpeted and winter rubber floor mats, trunk liner, a windshield screen, interior care kit, and wheel locks. Yeah, you pay for it, but I would in any case be standing at the parts counter anyway..better, I guess to get all the bits extra up front. Only thing missing are the mesh side window screens (my car is coming with the rear window shade)...may pick those up after absorbing the hit to my checkbook.

Noon tomorrow is the big day. I'm (pardon a colonist using a homeland term) chuffed.

Last edited by bdboyle; 03-01-2017 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:57 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Exciting! I am sure you will enjoy it

That looks like Odyssey Red and is a beautiful color in my opinion.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bdboyle
They also include the summer carpeted and winter rubber floor mats, trunk liner, a windshield screen, interior care kit, and wheel locks. Yeah, you pay for it, but I would in any case be standing at the parts counter anyway..better, I guess to get all the bits extra up front. Only thing missing are the mesh side window screens (my car is coming with the rear window shade)...may pick those up after absorbing the hit to my checkbook.

Noon tomorrow is the big day. I'm (pardon a colonist using a homeland term) chuffed.
Are the side screens installed into the door panel? I don't find much heat coming in the back windows FWIW. The weather mats are let down, but the trunk liner is nice when throwing dirty stuff in it. Trunk is on the smaller side now that I have had the car for a while. I always have a sun screen for every car and Jag did a nice job of fitting it perfectly into the trunk. I wonder what is in the interior care kit? The leather requires no treatment per their instructions (other than keeping it clean). You need some Pledge to keep finger prints off the center console.