XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Quality control: Passenger door not properly aligned

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 04:00 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Quality control: Passenger door not properly aligned

Part of the overall effect of the interior of a Jaguar is the boat hull type design on the dash board. The day after I picked up my car I noticed that the passenger door was not seamless to the dashboard. I knew it was off because the drivers side looked perfect. I waited a week for an appointment and when I brought it in, the service manager said that all XE's might be like this. I said, if that's the case, then JLR has some serious quality control issues on their hands. He went to go look at a showroom model to compare the two. He came back and agreed that the door wasn't lined up correctly and it would need to be looked at. It goes to the dealership tomorrow morning.

Bad alignment:

Good alignment:

Old 07-24-2016, 12:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It puzzles me the service manager would say that this may be like this in all XEs. It's obvious that it is not suppose to be like that. I checked my XE and both align. But I have notice some imperfection of quality control on my XE. One example would be the exterior window rubber molding trim. Fortunately it's a very minor aesthetic issue, barely noticeable unless you really look at it.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:06 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by daftshadow
But I have notice some imperfection of quality control on my XE. One example would be the exterior window rubber molding trim. Fortunately it's a very minor aesthetic issue, barely noticeable unless you really look at it.
What's the problem with the rubber molding?

Old 07-30-2016, 01:52 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Were they able to fix it?

Old 01-15-2017, 02:24 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I noticed some other people on here complaining about their doors not lining up right, so apologies about the hold up, here is what Jaguar did for me regarding this.

I dropped off the car to them, showed the door to a technician, after a couple of days they called me saying that they had to wait to take delivery of some parts coming in from the U.K. before they could do the repair. They didn't say how long it would take because they didn't know. Not wanting to take four trips back and forth to the dealership, I kept the XF loaner for as long as I could.

Almost a full month later I get a call from Jaguar saying that they're still waiting for parts from the U.K. When I told the lady that I still had a loaner car, she got jumpy, and was clearly embarrassed that they let a customer go three and half weeks with a loaner and no one seemed to care. A couple days later I brought the loaner back to the dealership picked up my non repaired car and kept waiting for their call.

Finally the parts were here, drop my car off again, and when they're done I go to pick it up, get inside, and yup, the door looked exactly the same as it did almost two months ago when I initially brought it there. I tell them that this is unacceptable and get back in my loaner. Two days later I go back, and they tell me that they've done everything they can to fix it, and they hope I'm satisfied with the result.

Result:

It's not perfect. And they admitted it wasn't perfect. But it was a major improvement from the way it looked before. I still can't believe they had the nerve to try to give me my car back the exact same way I left it without even fixing anything. If you look at the close up shot, you can see where they maybe jammed it into place to get it to look right. All I can say is I'm glad I leased this car. It has been hassle after hassle.

Last edited by Slim_bobby; 01-15-2017 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, now that people have discussed this, I suddenly notice that my car is not aligned either. It is perfectly aligned on the driver's side, but quite mis-aligned on that other side. It never bothered me before, but now it does! One should be careful following this kind of forums.

Old 01-15-2017, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Mine are pretty close and it doesn't bother me if its not perfect .. just don't look at it
Lawrence

Old 01-16-2017, 12:14 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the same issues on both doors, to make it worse its clearly visible on the outside of the car on driver side..... my driver side panel is lower then front and passanger is higher then front panel. I have a thread open here from about a week ago with pictures of the same issues. Unforutnately I did not get an appointment untill Feb 8 to correct some of my issues.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:29 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Mine is not aligned on the passenger side in exactly the same way as OP's picture. It has been reported several times in other forums.

It bothered me for a few days and then I stopped caring... a passenger would never noticed this (in fact I've asked and nobody has noticed) and it doesn't detract from the function of the car at all. We are talking a few mm here...

It will be fixed in the next mid-cycle update I'm sure.

In the mean time you can try leaning/puling down on the panel. It is malleable to some degree.

Last edited by alphakinase; 01-16-2017 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by ahost
Well, now that people have discussed this, I suddenly notice that my car is not aligned either. It is perfectly aligned on the driver's side, but quite mis-aligned on that other side. It never bothered me before, but now it does! One should be careful following this kind of forums.
I just checked mine also and mine is exactly like yours. IT doesn't bother me that much but it looks like many are built like this.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:47 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the pictures are not that bad at all probably wouldn't even notice that and definitely would not be so worried. My panels are way worse then this, one is 1/4 inch taller on door side, the other is 1/4 lower. Also the passenger side it looks like the very tip popped of the panel on the door. I will ask them to look at is when I have my service appointment but if they need to remove panels and such then I rather they just leave it alone. I know what a terrible job dealers do and once they start working on stuff it only gets worse.