XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Rear pads/discs after 5 months??

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 03:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear pads/discs after 5 months??

Hello Everyone,

Recent admirer / new owner, and new to this forum (or any forum, for that matter...)

I fell head over heels with the Jaguar's body design about 7~8 years ago (2008?) and it's gotten better ever since. This year (after 8 years in an 11-year old Vauxhall Astra), I came across what looked a pretty decent deal, and frankly, I had always wanted one; since I'm married and rapidly approaching my fifties, it was either a Jag or a girlfriend...

We bought my XE sport for my 49th this past March... clearly no girlfriend.

However, like a mistress (so I'm told), she seems to be a little quirky and a bit high-maintenance. I've had issues where the dash controls simply refuse to work (try turning off the radio, adjusting the volume, changing the screen mode and nothing happens), the dash doesn't even come on when starting up (happened once), and now, this...

Three months after I drove her off the lot, I got a brake worn indication in the instrument cluster. Hmmm. called the Jaguar folks up, booked for an apt, and two weeks later they were done. but it was the REAR pads, not the fronts (surprised), and since the car was a demonstrator model (with 12k on the clock), I accepted it. Five months later, I get the same indication - so I think, perhaps its the front pads this time. No! the rear pads - again! The service manager calls me to tell me there's been some 'severe corrosion on the discs such that they've ground into the pads and worn them down', and that severe corrosion is on all four wheels, and that it's not considered a manufacturer's defect. My question for anyone out on this forum is, has anyone seen this happen with their car, and is there a reasonable explanation, what could possibly be causing this sort of damage? I'm now looking at a £420 bill to have the rotors and pads replaced - and if I can't get to the root cause, could I be looking at a repeat of this every 5 months? I love my Jag, but like a mistress, I might not be able to afford her...

Any ideas / suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Tom

Last edited by GGG; 12-15-2016 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Add Model & Year details
Old 12-15-2016, 04:18 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

It's the dealership and their business practices you can't afford, not the car. Time to DIY or find a decent indy.

The following users liked this post:
BigCat09 (12-18-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 06:40 PM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Welcome to the forum Tom,

I've moved your question from UK & Eire Region to X760 forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Luftfanatic (12-16-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 02:08 AM
Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

That is the first time I've heard of anyone having a problem with the brake discs - or pads for that matter. If the problem is the discs and only the discs and they are replaced then the problem should not return. Unless you normally park on the beach at low tide, of course.

The basis of UK consumer law is that goods should be of reasonable quality. Whilst the expectation of quality should be lower given that you bought the car second hand, it is still a premium car that is still within the warranty period; discs should not corrode up that badly so quickly, it is not normal wear and tear.

It's a bit of a long shot but my guess is that the car stood on the lot a while before sale, the surface corrosion that they all get was not being cleared away by normal use which in turn left a pitted surface that will be fairly resilient.

If it were me I'd call Jaguar Customer Service and express your concerns to them, see what they say. I'd also ask the dealership to show me the extent (and location) of the corrosion.

Luftfanatic (12-16-2016)