XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Sun visor light?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 07:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sun visor light?

The thing that irritates my wife the most about the XE is that the sun visors have no light. A strange place to save a few dollars, with daily irritation as result. We never had a car without light there.

So, the question: is there any way to fix that by installing auxillary lights? I tried to do a product search on Amazon, but didn't come up with anything.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:15 AM
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

My PRESTIGE model has a sun-visor mirror light, maybe you could upgrade

Old 01-10-2017, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by nuke986
My PRESTIGE model has a sun-visor mirror light, maybe you could upgrade
I checked the detailed spec sheet. ONLY prestige (and R-Sport) has it. Not even premium has it.

Is vanity lights a super luxury feature?

Old 01-10-2017, 01:18 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ahost
I checked the detailed spec sheet. ONLY prestige (and R-Sport) has it. Not even premium has it.

Is vanity lights a super luxury feature?
I think since XE has three lights behind the windshield, vanity light is somewhat redundant.

But it depends on person. I have not used it a single time so far so I've no idea if my car has it (XE Premium)

Old 01-10-2017, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Demetre Gvaramia
I think since XE has three lights behind the windshield, vanity light is somewhat redundant.

But it depends on person. I have not used it a single time so far so I've no idea if my car has it (XE Premium)
Can I assume from your name that you're male? My wife puts up makeup (or checks her makeup) in the car. The three lights do not illuminate the face.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:23 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Pretty ridiculous that it's not standard in even the lowest base model XE... definitely an oversight. Sorry mate

Maybe you can get some LEDs off Amazon to put up there? I'm sure there's a solution.

Good luck

Old 01-11-2017, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by alphakinase
Pretty ridiculous that it's not standard in even the lowest base model XE... definitely an oversight. Sorry mate

Maybe you can get some LEDs off Amazon to put up there? I'm sure there's a solution.

Good luck
It seems very hard to find. I can find clip on vanity mirrors with light -- but there is already a mirror. Then there are stick-on LED lights for closets, but they are generally thick (more than 1"). I tried all kind of searches on google and amazon, but found nothing suitable.

Thanks, Jaguar, for being so cheap.

Old 01-13-2017, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

Be grateful you even have a functional sun visor. On the F-Type they are tiny but they still decided to put mirrors on them which are about the same size as a parking ticket:
The Jaguar F-Type SVR's Sun Visors Are Laughable | car News @ Top Speed

When the dealer showed first them to me I couldn't stop laughing. Even if you lean right in you can barely see both eyes at the same time. Utterly useless! They are a £55 option too!

A quick check shows the illuminated XE visors are available for about £75 each before any discount (£50 each after VIN 913440, I don't know the model well enough to know the differences). The hinge covers are the same parts. If you really wanted them you could swap them over and sell on your old ones.

For the wiring, there is no separate harness shown for vehicles with and without the illuminated sunvisors, and no circuit option code shown in the schematics. That means the connecters are already there. Instructions are attached.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
X760-Connector C9LN24.pdf (166.3 KB, 527 views)
File Type: pdf
X760-WSM-Sun Visor.pdf (106.1 KB, 423 views)

Last edited by xdave; 01-14-2017 at 10:56 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by xdave:
ahost (01-13-2017), Demetre Gvaramia (01-13-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by xdave
Be grateful you even have a functional sun visor. On the F-Type they are tiny but they still decided to put mirrors on them which are about the same size as a parking ticket:

When the dealer showed first them to me I couldn't stop laughing. Even if you lean right in you can barely see both eyes at the same time. Utterly useless!

A quick check shows the illuminated XE visors are available for about £75 each before any discount (£50 each after VIN 913440, I don't know the model well enough to know the differences). The hinge covers are the same parts. If you really wanted them you could swap them over and sell on your old ones.

For the wiring, there is no separate harness shown for vehicles with and without the illuminated sunvisors, and no circuit option code shown in the schematics. That means the connecters are already there. Instructions are attached.
Wow, very good information. If I could make this work, it would make my wife happy -- and that is important!

I guess the first step is to check if there is in fact wiring in my car.

Old 01-13-2017, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member

It should be easy to check - just follow the steps in the X760-WSM-Sun Visor.pdf attachment above to remove one side and then gently pull down the roof lining and check. (A mirror and a torch may help.)

I would be very surprised if the connectors where not there as their recent electrical schematics are normally very accurate compared to those of a decade ago. If they aren't though you can easily splice in your own from the roof console harness as shown in the schematics.

I have no idea why they made something as basic as a vanity mirror light an option though?!

Old 01-13-2017, 07:45 PM

It should be easy to check - just follow the steps in the X760-WSM-Sun Visor.pdf attachment above to remove one side and then gently pull down the roof lining and check. (A mirror and a torch may help.)

I would be very surprised if the connectors where not there as their recent electrical schematics are normally very accurate compared to those of a decade ago. If they aren't though you can easily splice in your own from the roof console harness as shown in the schematics.

I have no idea why they made something as basic as a vanity mirror light an option though?!
Do you know where I could buy the visors? Even if only a British source, from that I might be able to find a US source.

Thanks.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member

If you confirm your region/market and whether your internal roof trim is jet or light oyster (I'm guessing the latter from your signature) then I will confirm the part numbers.

Any dealer can get the parts for you, but I can recommend a UK based export supplier if you need one. Note that some trim parts may be made to order and not be off-the-shelf.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:59 PM

If you confirm your region/market and whether your internal roof trim is jet or light oyster (I'm guessing the latter from your signature) then I will confirm the part numbers.

Any dealer can get the parts for you, but I can recommend a UK based export supplier if you need one. Note that some trim parts may be made to order and not be off-the-shelf.
Thanks. I'm in the US. By jet you mean jet black? Definitely not that. I guess it's called light oyster then.

I didn't yet get all the way to checking if there is wiring. I have some trouble getting the visor all the way out. I don't want to risk breaking something on a brand new car. But I will try again.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

I would think it is pre-wired for an easy install. Maybe pull the liner down a bit and peak for connectors open?

Last edited by BigCat09; 01-26-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:04 AM

Yes, I should try again. My wife really, really want lighted mirrors.

Old 01-29-2017, 01:43 PM

When the dealer showed first them to me I couldn't stop laughing. Even if you lean right in you can barely see both eyes at the same time. Utterly useless! They are a £55 option too!

Unfortunately, it seems the wiring for the lighted sun visors is not there. I took off one sun visor, and felt all the way around the whole and found no evidence of any wiring. So, I cannot just put a Jaguar lighted sun visor. Damn.

So, back to third party solutions. I have found no LED light I can just attach (clip/tape). During my search I found some LED lights we can use in our closets -- very common. But they are all bulky. No flat ones that can be used for a sun visor.

Old 02-08-2017, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member

That is a shame. If the connector and tail is there it will be taped back against the main roof harness and not necessarily next to the hole where you would expect to find it. They do that to stop them rattling if they move around. A mirror and a torch will help you to see if that may be the case.

As noted in the schematics above though, the power and ground are taken from the same location as the roof console, so you can easily add your own wiring if needed and use the OEM illuminated visors if you still want to take that route. The harness connectors are YPC908890 (land rover supplier will be cheaper than jag) and pre-terminated tails are available as 418235, or you can cut the connector off the mirrors and use any suitable 2 way connector.