XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Using Paddle Shifters

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 01:26 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Using Paddle Shifters

Hey Guys,
If I recall correctly I was told at the dealer when I bought the car that the paddle shifters are for Sports mode only. When I wrote this on this forums in one of the posts someone corrected me saying that they can be used in any mode. Well I actually got to using the shifters last couple of weeks and I can only activate them in Sports mode. Is this normal for all or is something not right? I could be wrong but I thought I was able to use them in other modes when I tried once before......... but it could be my bad memory.

Old 03-22-2017, 01:42 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

In your instrument panel menu, you can go to Vehicle Settings and check "Use Paddles in D , S Modes"

This will change your paddle shifter setting so that you can use them in both D and Sport modes.

Hope that helps

Old 03-22-2017, 01:46 PM

I can already use it in S mode, so they can only be used in D and S? or others as well?

Old 03-22-2017, 01:55 PM
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

As Demetre indicated you can setup whether to use your shifters in D and S modes, or in S mode only (you cannot use it in D only).

There are no other modes

Edit: for me I chose to use it in D and S because when I drive in the snow I want to downshift. Obviously I'm not driving in the winter in S mode, hence my settings include both D and S

Old 03-22-2017, 01:56 PM

Sure there are there is the normal and economy modes

Old 03-22-2017, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by RaffiNJ
Sure there are there is the normal and economy modes
We are talking about modes selected by the gear "puck"

Old 03-22-2017, 02:57 PM
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

LOL, that’s the risk with this XE, when we talk. There are so many different subtle names and terms, that we have to qualify what we say.

Raffin, you are very much on the right track. There are FOUR official Driving Modes. “Modes” are preset behaviors of responsiveness and gear-order that the car has been programmed to follow when you press on the pedal or turn your wheel. Normal, Eco, Snow/Ice/Hydro, and Dynamic.

Your dealer is WRONG (or misunderstood your question, maybe). As long as you have checked the right box in the Driver’s Assistance menu, you can use the manual-shift paddles behind your steering wheel on all FOUR modes,… err, um, provided that...

…your GEAR is set to Drive position, or set to Sport position. “Gear” is that ole’ shifter thing we put into reverse, park, etc.

It can get complicated when you find out that you can “overlap” Modes on top of Gears, and still have access to the shift paddles,… and Sport GEAR + Dynamic MODE together, forces you to use the paddles to operate the car as near to manual-transmission as the automatic XE will get. Go carefully, RaffinJ.

Last edited by NewLester de Rocin; 03-22-2017 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:57 AM

that is too much mumbo jumbo for me I will be happy even if I decide to enable it for regular and eco modes.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:01 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RaffiNJ
Hey Guys,
If I recall correctly I was told at the dealer when I bought the car that the paddle shifters are for Sports mode only. When I wrote this on this forums in one of the posts someone corrected me saying that they can be used in any mode. Well I actually got to using the shifters last couple of weeks and I can only activate them in Sports mode. Is this normal for all or is something not right? I could be wrong but I thought I was able to use them in other modes when I tried once before......... but it could be my bad memory.
So in the interest of "keeping it simple", just do as suggested.
Go into your vehicle settings and look for paddle shifters. Change the setting so you can use it both "D" and "S" gears. That's all. Forget about the 4 modes. Those don't matter here. You want to be able to always use your shifters, so make that change to your settings and you'll be happy.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:11 AM
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

A little added benefit of using the paddle shifters is that it seems to cancel out that annoying 'Start/Stop' feature.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by nuke986
A little added benefit of using the paddle shifters is that it seems to cancel out that annoying 'Start/Stop' feature.
What do you mean? I didn't observe this behavior. Are you sure it's not a coincidence? The start/stop doesn't work when it's below 32 F

Old 03-23-2017, 11:23 AM

I came to a traffic light and the car turned off. rather then hit the start/stop I just hit the paddle shifter and the car fired up. I assumed in the manual shift mode that the start/stop doesn't come into play. I will recheck and make sure that I'm not leading you wrong. Might not be today as it is only 28 F outside

Old 03-23-2017, 11:41 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nuke986
I came to a traffic light and the car turned off. rather then hit the start/stop I just hit the paddle shifter and the car fired up. I assumed in the manual shift mode that the start/stop doesn't come into play. I will recheck and make sure that I'm not leading you wrong. Might not be today as it is only 28 F outside
I'm almost certain you're right. When I'm in sports mode using the paddle shifters, the stop/start system doesn't work.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:56 AM

Ok, Temps here have risen to 38F so I was able to go out and do some testing. If a D
(Drive) shows on the dash then auto start/stop functions in the normal, annoying, way - but if you use the paddle shifter, in any mode (I was in Eco) then the auto Start/Stop seems to be disengaged. Trany selector was in a 'D' mode not the 'S' mode when I started using the paddles.
Certainly not a fix, just an observation. I'm not looking to be forced into manually shifting just to beat that start/stop feature.
As the weather warms up here in the Northeast I'll be out there looking for that plug in the trunk.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:48 PM
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

Occasionally I use the paddles in my XF to enable/disable the stop/start feature. If I'm shifting manually but approaching a light i'll hold down the right paddle to put it back in auto shift and the car will turn off at the light. Or if I want to get away from a light quicker or smoother i'll hit the left paddle and the car will turn back on and put me in first gear. Personally I like the auto stop/start feature since it is so easy to decide when it is effective by either using the right amount of brake pressure, using the paddles, or simply pushing the enable/disable button. I enjoy the quiet while waiting at lights.

Old 03-27-2018, 06:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sports mode

do i take my foot off the gas to change gear in sports mode ?

Old 03-27-2018, 08:56 AM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

No just keep your foot planted and hit the paddles, the TCM will do the rest.

Old 03-28-2018, 02:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank's Ian,
Now i can have a little fun and see just what this V6 twin turbo can do.

Old 03-28-2018, 12:38 PM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

The only V6 in the XE is petrol and that’s supercharged not turbocharged. The diesel is twin turbocharged.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ian D
The only V6 in the XE is petrol and that’s supercharged not turbocharged. The diesel is twin turbocharged.
I am guessing he may have a different model, it is scary to think he would not know this....