XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Using a SIM Card - Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

Does anyone know if the remote start function still works when your free trial expires?

And did anyone find out any other providers for cheap sim cards to use here i the USA? AT&T just cost too much to use here.

Old 11-17-2016, 06:01 PM
Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BigCat09
Does anyone know if the remote start function still works when your free trial expires?

And did anyone find out any other providers for cheap sim cards to use here i the USA? AT&T just cost too much to use here.
can't answer re the sim card but remote start is part of the Incontrol Remote Premium (or Pro) subscription you paid as part of the purchase price of the car. It will last for the warranty period, after which you will need to renew.

Old 11-18-2016, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by stever_51
can't answer re the sim card but remote start is part of the Incontrol Remote Premium (or Pro) subscription you paid as part of the purchase price of the car. It will last for the warranty period, after which you will need to renew.
Well that answers my question about the RS feature, thanks.

I will keep digging up some sim card info to see what we can find here in the USA that works and is cheap.

Old 11-21-2016, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
The following users liked this post:
booklaw1 (11-21-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 04:30 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks! I've just ordered the sim card. We'll see whether it works, and if so, whether it works any better than the ATT caerd which came with the car.

Old 11-21-2016, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

That plan jumps the $30 after 30 days, but can be cancelled at any time.

Old 11-21-2016, 04:59 PM

Ok, so I'll cancel after two or three weeks, bu that should still be enough time to see whether T-Mobile provides a more consistent signal than AT&T.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member

Since we only have 3G I think they both will latch on well enough for our uses. IF it was 4G then it would be a huge difference.

Old 11-26-2016, 05:14 PM

I installed a Freedompop sim chip today, after removing the AT&T chip that came with my XE. The new chip worked almost instantly, and continued to work reliably, which was never the case with the AT&T chip. A huge improvement!

Old 11-26-2016, 08:54 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I went to T Mobile the other day to get a SIM card for the XE and our Volvo. T Mobile said the cheapest plan was $20 a month per car! Who the hell is going to use a SIM in their car at $20 a month for limited usefulness? $10 a month I'd consider it, but at $20 is more than Sirius radio!

Car manufacturers need to figure something out as they put all this engineering to offering content via SIM, but very few are going to use it at those rates...

I hate to be that guy, buy if you can't afford a $20 a month cell plan, you really can't afford a Jaguar.

I would actually go so far as to say that if $20 a month is an amount large enough that you even think about it, even for a minute, you really can't afford a Jaguar. One way or another, you're stretching your budget, and should really go look at a Honda or something.

Old 11-27-2016, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

I hear what your telling this guy but Im sure we can afford it but why pay so much for such crap service? I can tell you that my fully loaded XE is a total let down and I don't feel I should pay $20 or more a month for something that works very poorly. Plus I don't even use these connected features that much to justify it. But for $10 a month it wouldn't be so bad.

Old 11-27-2016, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lusiphur
I hate to be that guy, buy if you can't afford a $20 a month cell plan, you really can't afford a Jaguar.

I would actually go so far as to say that if $20 a month is an amount large enough that you even think about it, even for a minute, you really can't afford a Jaguar. One way or another, you're stretching your budget, and should really go look at a Honda or something.
I seem to have managed for the last decade in my third Jag ;-)

Old 11-27-2016, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member

Plus I don't even use these connected features that much to justify it. But for $10 a month it wouldn't be so bad.
Exactly. I drive like 6K miles a year and haven't even enabled Sirius yet... Every iteration of Jaguar NAV is worse in some respects than the previous one. It gets less simple and straightforward. I just want the directions and map... I use to get lost more in the XK's NAV than or RR or VDP.

Should only be one button to turn on seat heater, not menus... In fact, if it's below 60 degrees, the seat should come on automatically. Our Volvo does that. I don't want to see login screens I need to pay a service for to use my car...

Old 04-20-2017, 04:20 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like the sim card isn't inserted all the way. they are spring loaded so it press on it and see if it stays in if not press on it again. I don't think it in correctly or right side up.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Exactly. I drive like 6K miles a year and haven't even enabled Sirius yet... Every iteration of Jaguar NAV is worse in some respects than the previous one. It gets less simple and straightforward. I just want the directions and map... I use to get lost more in the XK's NAV than or RR or VDP.

Should only be one button to turn on seat heater, not menus... In fact, if it's below 60 degrees, the seat should come on automatically. Our Volvo does that. I don't want to see login screens I need to pay a service for to use my car...
Please dont get me fired up about the seat and wheel heaters. That drives me nuts almost as bad as having to press ok overtime I click on my seat belt in the center cluster.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

That drives me nuts almost as bad as having to press ok overtime I click on my seat belt in the center cluster.
I hear you on that one! The warning should wait 20 seconds before coming on. I put on my seat belt on after I turn the ignition on and wear the belt 100% of the time! List goes on and on of stuff that was short sighted by Jaguar.

BigCat09 (04-25-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 07:02 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I didn't renew the AT&T service after the trial. I was hoping to be able to use the car's wifi hotspot functionality to connect a laptop to when traveling, but it was pretty much useless given the AT&T's slow 3G service was feeding data into the car.

Instead, I just purchased a T-Mobile MiFi hotspot, which I leave in the car and charge it through a 12V-to-USB adapter. I tried to charge it via the Jag's USB ports but it caused error messages. So now I have 6GB of fast LTE data for $35/mo, I can connect the car to the T-Mobile hotspot using the wi-fi set up so all the usual stuff works, the kids can connect iPads or computers to it when we're traveling and I can take it out of the car and use it in hotels and such when their wifi sucks!

I haven't found any issues (yet) with this approach.

Old 09-04-2017, 06:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a spare Verizon sim card with unlimited data still on it, can I insert this sim and use it in my XE? I go pick up the car today and would like to use this if I could even if it don't give LTE and just 3G. I don't pay for this as my job does so this would be a nice perk.
Did the Verizon sim work?

Old 09-04-2017, 07:33 PM

If it is the approximate size of a thumbnail, it should work.

I use a FreedomPop card which cost me something like 25 cents on a special promotion, and pay all of $4.00 per month. It gives me 3G connectivity, which enables the SatNav to provide traffic reports and to search online for info not in its database.

It also provides wifi in the car, although I have never used it for that purpose.

Old 11-12-2017, 02:55 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default made XE a hot spot

My new 2018 XE Portfolio is now 3 months old. I continued the AT&T unlimited service for $20 a month. I made the car a hot-spot. The bride uses her IPad nonstop on all trips. Being able to connect to the car via wifi allowed me to reduce our Verizon gigabite and our monthly bill by $10. I can also use the Jaguar in control Apps. I don't think the cost is too bad. Jack

mosesbotbol (11-16-2017)

Quick Reply: Using a SIM Card - Worth it?