XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

VelocityAP Jaguar XE Exhaust System Development

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 07:56 PM
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 467 Posts
Default VelocityAP Jaguar XE Exhaust System Development

Hello All,

We are pretty active in the F-Type section, as well as some of the other model subforums. VelocityAP is based in the Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, where we manufacture exhaust based performance products for exotic cars, and offer ECU Tuning packages as well.

We are an OEM Supplier to Aston Martin Racing.

At present we are looking for owners of some late MY cars, specifically XF & XE to partner with on some product development.

Benefits to owners include heavily discounted product and some level of personal customization. In Short - you help us develop a new product and you end up with huge savings.

Email Stuart@velocityap.com to register interest.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

The following users liked this post:
BigCat09 (12-22-2016)
Old 01-07-2017, 11:42 AM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Stuart, I've been following your work on the F-type with Unhingd and the others for about a year. It's great to see how far things have come along with respect to tuning, headers, and now your exhaust systems.

I'd be interested in helping out with the exhaust if the offer is still up. I've got a 2017 RWD XE with the SC V6.

My main thoughts on the V6 XE: what keeps it from sounding like the F-type is the two center mufflers/resonators. Compare the V6 F-type and the V-6 XE exhaust layouts and you will see what I'm talking about. Of course the crackles/pops are not programmed into the XE but that could probably be done in software. But just cutting out those two center mufflers and replacing it with straight pipe, as is standard on the F-type, would be a massive improvement in tone/volume.

Cheers

Old 01-07-2017, 12:21 PM
Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by alphakinase
Stuart, I've been following your work on the F-type with Unhingd and the others for about a year. It's great to see how far things have come along with respect to tuning, headers, and now your exhaust systems.

I'd be interested in helping out with the exhaust if the offer is still up. I've got a 2017 RWD XE with the SC V6.

My main thoughts on the V6 XE: what keeps it from sounding like the F-type is the two center mufflers/resonators. Compare the V6 F-type and the V-6 XE exhaust layouts and you will see what I'm talking about. Of course the crackles/pops are not programmed into the XE but that could probably be done in software. But just cutting out those two center mufflers and replacing it with straight pipe, as is standard on the F-type, would be a massive improvement in tone/volume.

Cheers
I'd be curious about deleting the center resonators, I'm wondering if it might result in a harsher, thinner sounding tone?

I'd love for someone to design an active, switchable design like the F-type has for the XE. Some simple relay switch that changes volume/tone.
CRS

Old 01-07-2017, 05:23 PM

It'd be really easy/cheap to just take them out and have straight pipe welded in. but I've been hesitant to that solution because if it sounds bad there's no clean way to go back to stock... would prefer a custom center section that can just be bolted in place of the stock one.

Old 01-09-2017, 01:35 PM
Sponsor

A couple of things to remember here guys, when comparing to the FType. The V8 FTypes have no center resonator, but have an XPipe instead. However, the V6 still retains one center resonator.

Just because of some of the accoustic properties of the V8 I would be hesitant to suggest that you remove both of those resonators. From what I can tell on the XE (perhaps you guys can fill in) there are two smaller rear mufflers, versus the larger transverse unit on the F-Type. So I suspect that you could potentially remove one resonator and still have a reasonable sound level overall, but possibly not in combination with the rear mufflers.

It is also very popular to fit a sport catalytic converter to the FType, in which case the whole situation changes because there's a big sound increase. So you may also find that a stock exhaust with a 200 cell sport cat might suit your needs well:

This is the same car with a subsequent addition of our 'Supersport' muffler. Probably too loud for most people for a daily:

It isn't too difficult to introduce a valved setup to a non-valved car. We do build several valved exhaust systems, so in this case with rear mufflers for example you might consider doing a valved exhaust. We have remote control key-fob activated solenoid units and vacuum line but the installation would require 2 things:

1. The Solenoid needs to be wired to a key-on power source, and grounded.
2. You will need to run vacuum lines to the engine bay and 'T' into a suitable vacuum line, or alternatively install and wire in a vacuum pump to activate the valves.

www.velocityap.com

alphakinase (01-09-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
A couple of things to remember here guys, when comparing to the FType. The V8 FTypes have no center resonator, but have an XPipe instead. However, the V6 still retains one center resonator.

Just because of some of the accoustic properties of the V8 I would be hesitant to suggest that you remove both of those resonators. From what I can tell on the XE (perhaps you guys can fill in) there are two smaller rear mufflers, versus the larger transverse unit on the F-Type. So I suspect that you could potentially remove one resonator and still have a reasonable sound level overall, but possibly not in combination with the rear mufflers.
Stuart, thanks for the insight. Here are some more thoughts...

I've attached a diagram of the exhaust on the XE, showing the two center resonators in question (which appear after the joined resonator, but before the rear mufflers). It was my understanding that the V6 F-type had this joined resonator but not the two center resonators that we have on the XE... also attached photo of stock F-type underside for comparison (I'm sure you're already familiar with this view ).

As you can see the entire center section bolts in and no welding would be required if done properly... As you say its probably best to retain that first center muffler since it may contribute a lot to the tone, and also serve as a sort of X-pipe. Both the XE and F-type have this first muffler.

Similarly the combined size of the two XE rear mufflers seem comparable to that of the F-type rear muffler, although the internals are most likely quite different. But perhaps volume is not "rear-muffler-limited", if you will, and instead controls the tone.

CRS 123 had replaced his rear mufflers with smaller ones from another manufacturer and drone was unbearable... So the center section seems like the lowest hanging fruit in terms of achieving volume increase.

My experience with modifying exhausts is nil so feel free to school me on this haha.

XE:

and the bottom of my XE:

V6 F-type:

mosesbotbol (01-09-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 04:58 PM
Sponsor

Got it. So my educated guess would be that those two resonators are there for one of two reasons or a combination of both:

1. The Twin Rear Mufflers aren't able to get the sound level down as effectively as the transverse FType rear muffler so they added resonators to compensate.

2. JLR just wanted a more muted exhaust note for the XE versus the FType, assuming (probably correctly) that a fair few of their XE buyers wanted a quieter exhaust.

If it were my car, the first thing I'd do is change out the cat section for sport cats. However, there's more than one way to skin a cat and everyone likes different stuff. We are interested in making all of it. I'd like to make a 200 Cell Sport Cat, a center section with an XPipe and one small silencer, no resonators, and look at the Rear Muffler section as well, possibly a Valved Setup for those interested.

I agree, the low hanging fruit is likely to be a center section and/or possibly sport cats with stock back boxes, and also agree on keeping things bolt on/bolt off so cars can be returned to stock if so desired. A lot easier to manage if cars are leased or if people want to sell in 2 or 3 years and not every buyer wants exhaust mods.

All we need is parts, and a willing owner. Some of the stuff is quick to develop, some a little longer.

www.velocityap.com

Old 01-09-2017, 06:24 PM

200 cell cats would be awesome... but I imagine they'll throw a code on the ECU. So we'd have to do a tune at the same time to pass inspection. I'm sure you've worked it out on the F-type.

I've sent you a PM with my email address if you'd like to discuss.

mosesbotbol (01-10-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 08:06 PM
Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

If it were my car, the first thing I'd do is change out the cat section for sport cats. However, there's more than one way to skin a cat and everyone likes different stuff. We are interested in making all of it. I'd like to make a 200 Cell Sport Cat, a center section with an XPipe and one small silencer, no resonators, and look at the Rear Muffler section as well, possibly a Valved Setup for those interested.
Love this idea. Thank you guys for starting this conversation. I also like the valves option idea as long as it wasn't cost prohibitive. It would be nice to hit a switch for those times I'd like to go a little over the top volume wise, and have the non switched setting still be a bit more substantial than current stock.
CRS

Old 01-09-2017, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

I'm glad this thread came up as my plan was to run straight pipes from the car back to a pair of Varex electronic mufflers but I am unsure if the XE V6 setup needs a X pipe or not? A H pipe is not needed but I thought a member mentioned the exhaust pulse of the XE is not the same as the V8 XF/XK/F Types and the X pipe would be a bad idea.

However , what ever my main man Stewart comes up with I just hope we don't get that nasty raspy tin sound in the end. The crackle / pops I can deal with even though I hate that as well but I can have everything or can I? I loved the sounds of my Mina Gallery exhaust on my XFR as it had a smooth deep tone with no crackles or rasps.

I feel these rapay crackle pop sounds ar whist like those kids in those Neon SRT4's and those Fiat Arbarths that sound terrible. Personal preference of course.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:43 AM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Hello

are there any updates on this?

Thanks

Old 06-07-2017, 10:46 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Demetre Gvaramia
Hello

are there any updates on this?

Thanks
Working with a couple of more local owners to try and arrange loan of car/parts. Considering buying one myself LOL!

www.velocityap.com

Old 06-07-2017, 12:22 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Working with a couple of more local owners to try and arrange loan of car/parts. Considering buying one myself LOL!
It would be great if you guys could somehow replicate the sound of F-type.
I know if will probably require serious modification of mufflers and resonators but I think it should be worth it.

Jaguar missed the mark with XE's exhaust. I am looking forward to what you come up with.

Thanks!

Old 06-16-2017, 11:51 AM
Sponsor

This is likely to be the same muffler setup we'd use on the XE.

This is our 'Sport' muffler, also do them in Supersport (louder) and Touring (quieter.)

www.velocityap.com

bfarrell (04-20-2019)
Old 06-19-2017, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

This sounds good and the level I would want. This guy lives right next to the dealer I bought my XE from. Small world.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:45 AM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Stuart, how about a video the "touring" muffler sound?

Old 06-20-2017, 12:50 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Charles Calthrop
Stuart, how about a video the "touring" muffler sound?
Again, it's on an FPace but it should sound exactly alike.

www.velocityap.com

Charles Calthrop (06-20-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 12:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Again, it's on an FPace but it should sound exactly alike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_FwwL9pp14
When will the 2016 and up XF exhaust be available?

Old 06-21-2017, 02:18 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by dabank
When will the 2016 and up XF exhaust be available?
Is the 2016-on a different config to the earlier XF's?

If not, we have stuff for you already. If it is different then perhaps we can work with you to develop something?

www.velocityap.com

Old 06-21-2017, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Is the 2016-on a different config to the earlier XF's?

If not, we have stuff for you already. If it is different then perhaps we can work with you to develop something?
The current XF (X260) has a different rear mufflers and pipes set-up to the earlier XF (X250). The X260 mufflers and pipes are much closer to the centre of the rear end, so an exhaust set-up made for the X250 will not come even close to fitting an X260.