XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Voice prompts in XE navigation?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 09:29 AM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Voice prompts in XE navigation?

I cannot figure out how to get the XE's navigation feature to give me vocal instructions as well as the written instructions on the navigation screen. Put another way, how do I set the navigation to speak out loud?

Thanks!

Old 10-10-2016, 10:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same question myself...I'm surprised that on what's called a "forum" that no one has been able to answer this question...

Old 10-11-2016, 12:39 PM
Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

As far as I know, cars are delivered with SatNav instructions audible. Maybe no-one has had reason to see where it is changed.

with the caveat that I have a UK market ICT Premium system ..

from the touch screen go into 'settings'
navigation>voice commands takes you to where you can turn the feature 'on' if it is currently 'off'

system>sound volumes takes you to where you can adjust sound volume if it is set to 0 or otherwise too low to hear.

If those two settings are already ok, then it's a conversation with the dealer.

The following users liked this post:
NYC-Style (10-11-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 06:29 PM

My dealer solved the problem for me. It turned out that when you drill down through the Navigation menus, there is a mute setting, and it was set to mute when it was delivered. Once the dealer showed me how to find it, I was able to restore voice prompts.

Old 10-11-2016, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by booklaw1
My dealer solved the problem for me. It turned out that when you drill down through the Navigation menus, there is a mute setting, and it was set to mute when it was delivered. Once the dealer showed me how to find it, I was able to restore voice prompts.

Good to know...my XE was just delivered and we went on a test drive...my fairly new salesman didn't know how to get the voice prompts. I'm taking delivery tomorrow and I'm assured that they'll have an expert to go over the features. I was also told that they could also send someone out to my home to go over features as well as program gate/garage doors. Congrats on the new car!!

Last edited by NYC-Style; 10-11-2016 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:20 AM

So to make things interesting...I test drove my ordered XE on Monday (3 month wait)...and during the drive I noticed no audible nav voice guidance. Salesman tries several attempts to get it working...also got the help of another salesman and still no audible guidance. No worries I'm not planning on closing the deal till Wednesday (today). So I get there today to pickup the car...and before I do any paperwork I ask about the nav guidance...it's still not working. The belief is that I need to sign up for incontrol apps which doesn't make sense but I go along...still no voice guidance. We take out another vehicle with Incontrol Pro system and the nav voice guidance works no problem. Well two hours later he takes it into service and says there's an update that needs to be done and it'll take about 90 minutes...I decide I'm going home and by now I'm not a happy camper at all. Salesman calls 2 hours later to say voice guidance still not working after the update and they'll need to open a ticket with Jaguar USA...I'm like that's fine you can keep your car I'm no longer interested. My instinct was to let this go...I could not buy a car which was already experiencing issues before I took ownership. I couldn't believe that despite me bringing this to their attention on Monday no one tried to remedy the problem "before" I arrived...well hanging out on this forum was a blast...good luck guys and thanks for all the great info...drop mic exit left!!

Old 10-13-2016, 03:38 AM
Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm sorry to read all that. It did seem odd given that cars are delivered with voice setting defaulted to 'on'. It's a shame because it really is a lovely car to drive, but I'd have probably told them to shove it too.

Jaguar have a real winner on their hands with this car but there are two recurrent problem areas that need to be sorted out. The software and the variable nature of the dealership network.

All the best with your next car.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by stever_51
I'm sorry to read all that. It did seem odd given that cars are delivered with voice setting defaulted to 'on'. It's a shame because it really is a lovely car to drive, but I'd have probably told them to shove it too.

Jaguar have a real winner on their hands with this car but there are two recurrent problem areas that need to be sorted out. The software and the variable nature of the dealership network.

All the best with your next car.

Thanks...no one was more disappointed than me. I'm still in disbelief that this happened on the day I was to take delivery. How does a dealership not make the cars being delivered to customers a priority. My salesman to his credit didn't try to offer any excuses and said he completely understood. However he should have been on top of this since Monday and in the worst case scenario could have called me yesterday and say the car wasn't ready or something...he knew the voice guidance still wasn't working and nonetheless let me go to the dealership as if my time is of no value. As disappointed as I am....I now have the mindset that I "dodged a bullet".

Old 10-13-2016, 10:52 AM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Have a look at this short video:

There is an enable toggle under options and then shows how to adjust volume.

Last edited by pcbrew; 10-13-2016 at 11:59 AM.
RaffiNJ (01-26-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 04:14 PM
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

is it possible to also view a turn by turn text so you know how the navi plans on routing you?
Opps, never mind found it while digging deeper into navi menu

Last edited by nuke986; 01-27-2017 at 10:58 AM. Reason: found info
Old 01-27-2017, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Each generation of Jaguar navigation is harder to use.

Old 01-28-2017, 03:38 PM

Nuke986, how many instructions ahead did you find in the turn by turn text? I can also see four or five at a time... I do not see any way to scroll towards the end of the trip. Is there a way?

Old 01-28-2017, 04:46 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC-Style
Thanks...no one was more disappointed than me. I'm still in disbelief that this happened on the day I was to take delivery. How does a dealership not make the cars being delivered to customers a priority. My salesman to his credit didn't try to offer any excuses and said he completely understood. However he should have been on top of this since Monday and in the worst case scenario could have called me yesterday and say the car wasn't ready or something...he knew the voice guidance still wasn't working and nonetheless let me go to the dealership as if my time is of no value. As disappointed as I am....I now have the mindset that I "dodged a bullet".
You know I am probably not the person dealers like the most to make deals with either but to turn on a car for this reason seems ridiculous even to me

Last edited by RaffiNJ; 01-28-2017 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-19-2020, 02:00 AM
Default NO navigation sound

On all jaguar - choose an other language, choose a taget and driver to check IF sounds. Then choose language that You want and check IF it sounds now.

Old 02-23-2020, 03:01 PM

I find Nav sytems in most all cars sadly lacking and frankly a waste of money. Hard to beat Google Maps

Old 11-29-2022, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by booklaw1
Hi I'm having the same issue, can I ask what year your car is ?

​​​​​​Thanks Allan

Old 11-29-2022, 03:31 PM

Allant68 (11-30-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 09:06 AM
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Each generation of Jaguar navigation is harder to use.
Wow, I'm sorry I missed this thread. I know where it is, both the voice, and the turn-by-turn. Let's get two facts out the way first:
First, Mosesbotbol is RIGHT. If you have the 2019 or 2018 model XE, you are likely NOT to find some of the menu boxes to tick, that previous models had. The Navigation model for the 2016 and 2017 were astonishingly customizable, but unfortunately came with no proper instructions to explain piece by piece what you can do, what that thingy does, what that symbol means, and how you can alter it. Shameful.... I have the 2017 XE, and my Nav is superb, can be tuned and modified well for a commuter chaos city like NY, but it took me four years of gradual learning to fully understand it. The one thing it is NOT is intuitive to understand---it NEEDS and deserved a full instruction manual. I revere my XE''s SatNav, better than any phone app I've used, but that may be because I was lucky to get just the entry-level 8" screen version from 2017. If I use SatNav on any of these 2021/22 car makers, I get nothing but anger issues.
If you can't find the way to these two menu spots, and I'm telling you the path incorrectly, LOL, you'll just have to wait until I get mine back from servicing, and I'll check again.

Second, my XE is in the shop for service right now, and I haven't had to drill into my Nav menu in a long time. So this is from memory alone, and may be a bit off the mark.

Don't touch the TFT screen between the instrument panel dials. Don't hit any of the Hardkeys. You do this entirely through the touch screen. If you have the InTouch Pro 10" screen, the menu layout may be a bit different---I have the InTouch standard 8" screen.
The VOICE is located where we'd least expect it to be found.
This means it's NOT located in the Guidance section of your Nav menu. &&^%)^!!@...UGH!!

When you're at the default Home Screen, touch "Navigation"----then touch the tiny cogwheel icon in the lower right. If the screen asks which settings you want to change, touch the "Navigation" one.
On the very next menu screen, before you pick any nav menu departments, at the top of the screen you'll see a single innocent line saying "Allow Voice Prompts". Tick that box, and the Voice will be on during your nav run.
If you DON'T hear the voice during a navigation run, then it likely means the audio for the nav voice is turned way too low. Yes, as some posters already pointed out, there is a separate volume control setting for the Nav voice---separate from the base/treble/fade menus of your sound system. You'll have to punch the Hardkey to access the General Settings, and touch "Sounds" from the menu on the screen. You'll find a separate volume meter on that Sounds screen meant specifically for Voice/Navigation (don't touch the Phone control, or the Parking Aids control).
There are menu settings to change the "accent" of that voice to another nationality----but unfortunately the voice and navigation is LOCKED to whatever software map license/region is currently installed in your Jaguar. So selecting a different nationality on the Voice, causes the voice to abort operating entirely until you set it back to the default voice.
(If any of you has tried to change the nationality of your Voice, or your dealer tried to experiment with nationalities, this is ONE possible reason why some of our voice navs aren't functioning in the car).
Also, some of us who have altered the Meridian sound system controls to some extreme notches, are going to find those settings ALTER the tone or spatial placement of that nav voice a little bit too.

Getting Turn-by-turn lists during a navigation run: This one is easier, and of course you must first have a navigation route in progress, so that you see THIS screen. Again, don't touch any hardkeys. Just touch the small unexplained symbol circled in GREEN. A new screen shows up with SIX touch titles. Touch the "Information" title. Then Touch "Turn List".
On a 2017 model 8" screen, you won't be able to see the turn list AND the map at the same time. Bummer.
But you CAN interface with the list, touch any of the listed turns with your finger, and get options to SEE that location zoomed on your map, or tell the SatNav to AVOID that turn (perhaps because your ex-wife lives on that intersection, and you hate to pass by her house)
Also be aware, if you've given your SatNav permision to modify your route on the fly when new traffic problems show up, that Turn List will keep jumping and transforming, sometimes so subtly you don't notice a change.

To get off the Turn List, and get back to the navigation map, just touch that return-arrow icon in the corner of your screen. (Or, yes, punch the Navigation hardkey).

Last edited by NewLester de Rocin; 11-30-2022 at 09:27 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by NewLester de Rocin:
DJS (12-01-2022), radger56 (04-17-2023)
Old 04-17-2023, 06:51 AM

Hey NewLester de Rocin, you seem to know what you're talking about when it comes to SatNav on the XE. So here is my dilemma which you might be able to help with.
I have a very late 2015 model on which the SatNav has worked perfectly until 2 weeks ago when suddenly (and I am not aware of anyone changing the setup) the voice/navigation audio is now in what sound like Polish. It is definitely a foreign language anyway but with a very distinct English accent. I have checked all the usual settings as far as Language and it is set to "English (UK)". I have tried changing it to another language (which results in zero audio) and then changing back to English but still no joy. All visual displays are still in English; it's just the voice ?
I am loathed to take my car to Jaguar as they will probably want to charge a fortune to replace everything. I have even tried disconnecting the battery for a while in the hope that everything would reset but to no avail.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Old 04-17-2023, 10:37 AM
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by radger56
Hey NewLester de Rocin, you seem to know what you're talking about when it comes to SatNav on the XE. So here is my dilemma which you might be able to help with.
I have a very late 2015 model on which the SatNav has worked perfectly until 2 weeks ago when suddenly (and I am not aware of anyone changing the setup) the voice/navigation audio is now in what sound like Polish. It is definitely a foreign language anyway but with a very distinct English accent. I have checked all the usual settings as far as Language and it is set to "English (UK)". I have tried changing it to another language (which results in zero audio) and then changing back to English but still no joy. All visual displays are still in English; it's just the voice ?
I am loathed to take my car to Jaguar as they will probably want to charge a fortune to replace everything. I have even tried disconnecting the battery for a while in the hope that everything would reset but to no avail.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
UUUUGH, are you joking?! I love my SatNav, but every five months or so I'll stumble onto some new feature or option that was sitting there staring me in the face for years, making me feel like absolute yard rubbish for brains.
It really is a crime that Jaguar put such a seemingly thorough Nav package into the car...and didn't show us in-depth how to operate the elaborate thing! And that was in 2015 through 2019. The new 3rd party provider Jaguar purchased the SatNav package from currently has a SatNav with nearly none of the granular map visuals, no options about how more or less aggressive you want your re-routing to be, and no confirmation whether the other features like "Live Traffic" are even working.
If yours was bought in 2015 (marketed as a 2016 model car?), you may be getting the MAP updated on your removable SD Card, or getting an automatic update over-the-air signal from Jaguar's provider.

Something that some owners on one of the UK Jaguar forums found out by accident was ODD, but apparently true: Your "voice guidance" is directly linked (and limited) to the license code of whatever MAP is feeding your car's SatNav. Example, my car was delivered for use in the US, so of course the map on my SD card will show me any darn place in North America, and the voice guidance will guide me there. But it's not a map that includes Central America or Brazil, even though technically there are ferries that can shuttle my car over the gap of water so I can drive down there if I want. With no South American map on the SD, if I choose a Brazilian language for my voice guidance, the car will say "No guidance available". If I want guidance to the Burger King restaurant three blocks away, right here on my North American MAP, the car won't be able to set a route on the map... simply because I've selected a Brazil voice.

Before you take it to the Jaguar service dealer, here's ONE experiment (that you may already have done), and SIX questions:

FIRST, just on a chance----Try selecting EVERY selection the car refers to as "English-___", and do a test Nav drive with each one. It may be just a mis-labeling that's wrongly giving you the Polish accent-English, when the text says it should be delivering the English-UK voice. You might discover where the original English tone voice was swapped to. My Jaguar has as many as THREE "English" voice guidance options, but because of the explanation above,
I can't ever even get classic English-UK voice to guide me me anywhere, not in a US-market Jaguar--I'd have to copy a UK-license European map on my SD card.

--Did you buy your (US market?) Jag new or from a previous owner?
--Does your car have the removable Map SD-Card, that many of us owners like to update at home and not pay the dealer to do it?
--Does the car have the InTouch PRO infotainment system, that apparently is map-updated by a process called 'software-over-the-air', without any actions or decisions from YOU (and NO SD card to remove from the cubby console)?
--Have you updated that Map recently? (Or has your screen said "Congratulations, we have just updated your software successfully!")?
--If YOU updated your Map recently, did you do it through the authorized (and expensive) Jaguar SatNav website?
--OR, do you know if your Service Dealer decided your Map was outdated, and decided to do you a courtesy and updated the SD-card map without worrying to notify you?

Let us know the answers.
All these questions aim at the same possibility, that your Map was recently updated (or replaced) with a map that doesn't have the perfectly right license code to match your car (or at least to match the marketing region your car was originally made for).
I don't think the service dealer will try to investigate this kind of issue. I suspect hearing the wrong accent in the software is something so intimate to being an OWNER that a busy mechanic won't even care to find the cause, unless it's already a famous glitch Jaguar's been logging in their database.
SatNav is technically "infotainment-unit" as far as the mechanics are concerned, so when you take it to the service dealer, he's likely to just "reboot the unit's software" (which can clear the Nav problem, but lead to tone/base problems with your speakers, etc). They may also go through the Map update process for you (....errr, for a labor fee somewhere in there).

So you have the right idea---if you can drill down and pinpoint the problem's cause yourself, you'll serve as a better investigator than your mechanic.

Quick Reply: Voice prompts in XE navigation?