XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Vote on VelocityAP Crank Pulley Material

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 02:03 PM
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 467 Posts
Default Vote on VelocityAP Crank Pulley Material

Hi Everyone,

Our Crank Pulley design is finished, installed and signed off. We're going into production - will announce the usual launch special shortly.

Before we do, we are considering materials. The prototype was make from 316 Stainless, adds some weight, but stronger from a fatigue and belt slippage point of view. It is also more expensive.

Making the pulleys in aluminum would drop the cost approximately $90.

So... market research time. What do you guys want? I'm sure it is possible to do both, would prefer just to stock one part.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 02-06-2017, 03:31 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

What happens if the aluminum piece breaks from wear? Does it damage the engine?

Old 02-06-2017, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by booklaw1
What happens if the aluminum piece breaks from wear? Does it damage the engine?

say bye bye to your engine. will either of these be a direct replacement for the stock pulley (harmonic balance, dampener?)

Old 02-06-2017, 11:02 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Cherry_560sel
say bye bye to your engine. will either of these be a direct replacement for the stock pulley (harmonic balance, dampener?)
Well, I would think the damage would probably be confined to the accessory & supercharger drive areas rather than catastrophic but that's not good either anyway.

No, we don't have plans to produce anything with a reproduction of the stock damper. One of the potential advantages to the heavier Steel versus Aluminum is that the mass will provide better damping.

Having said that, what Lance wrote is correct, it is the charger bearing that is being protected from vibration of the engine. Many engines don't got to that level of damping reduction, we don't feel that there's a significant risk to the elimination, in this case.

www.velocityap.com

Old 02-07-2017, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

Here is my 2 cents:

I would personally want a pulley that matches the OEM pulley in strength, looks, design with the benefits of the size of course.

I would also want the pulley, belt, tensioner, etc to mimic a stock appearance and quality.

The lightweight, flashy looks, etc doesn't do anything for me but make me worry about the dealer spotting it and possible risks if it fails.

Count me in for a OEM quality and looks (Stealth) with the power benefits and I will document it on the Dyno again along with install video.

I think the VAP tune now has the calibration in place to work with and without the pulley installed for those that don't want to flash over again?

Stuart: What is the spec of your pulley, size, gains, ribbed or smooth and what to expect in power gains and the RPM range of said gains?

Old 02-07-2017, 11:02 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by BigCat09
Here is my 2 cents:

I would personally want a pulley that matches the OEM pulley in strength, looks, design with the benefits of the size of course.

I would also want the pulley, belt, tensioner, etc to mimic a stock appearance and quality.

The lightweight, flashy looks, etc doesn't do anything for me but make me worry about the dealer spotting it and possible risks if it fails.

Count me in for a OEM quality and looks (Stealth) with the power benefits and I will document it on the Dyno again along with install video.

I think the VAP tune now has the calibration in place to work with and without the pulley installed for those that don't want to flash over again?

Stuart: What is the spec of your pulley, size, gains, ribbed or smooth and what to expect in power gains and the RPM range of said gains?
Yes, we can do both calibrations. Lance (Unhingd) on the FType section has been running our software and has only good things to say. On the materials, based on both polls it looks like stainless is probably going to be the option.

Neither of the options are going to look like OEM, but as it is a bolt-on pulley, bolt on idler they are 100% reversible in case of a sticky situation. The main difference apart from larger diameter is that the OEM belt is ribbed on both sides, whereas no belt appears to be available in the larger size except for a smooth sided one. So that requires the idler pulley to be unbolted and a smooth one bolted on. I'm actually not a huge fan of the ribbed-both-sides design anyway.

www.velocityap.com

Old 02-07-2017, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member

Sounds like a plan then, count me in. Any worries about slippage with a smooth belt or any adjustments needed over time?

Keep in mind I may spray a progressive shot in this XE like my pal Jay does in his F-Type.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:42 PM
Sponsor

Well, the vote is pretty conclusive so we will be proceeding with steel. I also like the security of the metal and the slighly larger mass will aid in dampening vibrations. Our pulleys will also be better balanced than the OEM parts.

The product is live on our website, we will be running a launch special at 25% discount, use coupon code JAGCPLAUNCH at checkout.

Anticipate shipping orders by the end of the month.

Jaguar F-Type V6 & V8 Supercharger Crank Pulley

www.velocityap.com

Old 02-08-2017, 06:56 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Stuart,

Can you give us a few more details as it is not described on your site or here please?
I need to know a few things before dropping so much coin on a part that cost the same as the tune and handheld tuner you sell.

1) Why doesn't this fit he SVR but fits all other models?

2) This pulley is a 34hp additional bump with the tune?

3) What is the boost level raised to with the pulley and what is the boost level with just the tune alone?

4) I haven't seen a Dyno plot yet of the pulley so where are the gains mostly noticed with the pulley? ( Mid-Range?)

5) With a smooth pulley and belt type will there be any chance of slippage at all?

Old 02-08-2017, 01:40 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by BigCat09
Hi Stuart,

Can you give us a few more details as it is not described on your site or here please?
1) Why doesn't this fit he SVR but fits all other models?
Jaguar Changed some things on the SVR that changes the pulley fitment.

2) This pulley is a 34hp additional bump with the tune?
Sounds accurate, yes.

3) What is the boost level raised to with the pulley and what is the boost level with just the tune alone?
Boost with the pulley is increased to roughly 18.5psi. I believe the stock S runs 13, and our tune 15.

4) I haven't seen a Dyno plot yet of the pulley so where are the gains mostly noticed with the pulley? ( Mid-Range?)
Jaguar F-Type V6 & V6S Crank Pulley + ECU Tune

5) With a smooth pulley and belt type will there be any chance of slippage at all?
No. The pulley isn't smooth. It is the idler that is smooth and therefore only the 'back' side of the belt is switched over to smooth. The crank and supercharger drive face is unchanged.

www.velocityap.com

Old 02-08-2017, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you very much for that data!!!

for number 3 I believe our 340hp XE runs 11.5 psi stock so this is a real nice bump in power.

i will place my order tomorrow when I return from a business trip.