XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

We we didn't buy a Jaguar XE

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 01:16 AM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts
Default We we didn't buy a Jaguar XE

Let me first say that I am a huge Jaguar fan. I used to have a 1985 VDP and today I have a 2007 Jaguar XK. My wife is in the market for a new car and she is head over heels for my XK. Her criteria is: Less than 40K, four doors, a spacious trunk, some decent engine power and good looks. I thought...how about the XE! I wanted nothing more than to give Jaguar my business and stick it to Mercedes and BMW. Why should they always get the sale I thought. (Just a precursor comment: If you own an XE and you are happy with it then I am very glad to hear that. This is just my perspective of the XE and I do not mean any disrespect to the current owners.)

Off we go to my Jaguar dealer to look and test drive the 2017 Jaguar XE. Upon arrival we see a few XE's in the showroom and they certainly look the part. Very handsome exterior styling with nice proportions and the required dual exhaust tips. She had her eye on the red one sitting in the corner. It was priced at around $50K - so it had some decent options. It looked fabulous. My checkbook was getting warm. We walk over to it and I hold the door open, she sat down and from that point on it sank like a lead balloon. She looked up at me and said "this doesn't seem like a Jaguar'. She is of course used to sitting in my 2007 XK which happens to have one of the best interiors that Jaguar has ever made. The combination of wood and leather is just exquisite. I then sat down in the XE and to be honest, I really didn't care much for it either. The passenger side dash above the glove was just a plain black area devoid of any character. It looked like it was screaming for some nice piece of aluminum trim across the dash with the word 'Jaguar' inscribed on it. This would have brightened up that depressing black void. The side vents are not nicely integrated into the dash and seem more like a bolt on afterthought. When the doors are closed they awkwardly protrude from the sides of the dash and sit on top of the door. The doors also have a weird bi-level to them that just doesn't seem pleasing to the eye or arms for that matter. The center console seems to be unnecessarily too wide, robbing the driver and precious leg/knee room. Many of the materials for the most part feel cheap and plasticky as well. Overall, nothing seems to blend together like a Jaguar should. It's almost as though Lexus designed this interior with all the wacky shapes and lack of cohesion. We both agreed, this was not the car to buy no matter how well it drove. I really hope Jaguar revamps this interior asap. It did not feel or look like a 50K interior should. I do think though with just a few interior tweaks it could significantly improved. Unfortunately I put my checkbook away. We then sat in an Audi A4 and wow...now that is an interior. Even the Buick Lacrosse had a nicer interior than the XE. We are still shopping around. Sorry for the harsh criticism, but this is just my point of view. Jaguar take notice and get this interior up to speed!!!

Attached Thumbnails We we didn't buy a Jaguar XE-2017-jaguar-xe-20t-interior-photo-638687-s-1280x782.jpg  

Last edited by michaelodonnell123; 11-06-2016 at 01:44 AM.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Modern Jaguars certainly do take some getting used to for oldies like me. I was cogitating whether to exit my X350 and buy a used XE. I have to say that the interior is a bit disappointing, but the most disappointing thing for me was the lack of cover over the cup holders. The very similar new XF (from 2016) does have such a cover. Is this the bean-counters at work again ?

Old 11-06-2016, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

@michaelodonnell123 - did you at least give it a drive? Was it the 3.0 V6? All of the R Sport models have dark interiors. Coming from an XK, I see what you mean on the materials difference, but it's not like every panel in the XK has the same quality of leather either.

I don't think the XE will ever have the level of interior you'd want. Maybe the XF would? I did not buy the XE for the interior trim, but for the outside looks, driving manners, and utility.

The following 2 users liked this post by mosesbotbol:
babyjag91 (11-06-2016), booklaw1 (11-06-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 09:02 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The XE was definitely produced to be on the sportier side of the brand (F-TYPE) v.s. the more luxurious side (XF, XJ). And I feel as though the newer Jags have definitely gone for more pep under the hood than regal in the interior. If you're looking for a bunch of chrome doo-dads and wood trim, go with an MB or Audi.

I find the interior of the XE more than enough for me, but I'm also a mid-twenties kid at heart that is more interested in how the car handles in the corners and how crisp the exhaust note is. The XE is definitely not designed to be the executives car.

The following 2 users liked this post by babyjag91:
mosesbotbol (11-06-2016), NBCat (11-06-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 09:53 AM
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,784 Posts

After visiting the Jaguar showroom in Newport Beach to see the XE, I too was disappointed by the quality of the interior, but I promptly reminded myself that JLR designed the X760 to attract younger buyers new to the Jaguar brand.

For the brand to survive, new buyers must be found, so what better way than to appeal to what they are used to? If they grew up with Hondas and Toyotas having the plastic interiors, that is what they have come to expect.

I commend JLR for having the foresight to begin competing directly against the established German brands. I doubt the X760 will ever displace the 3-Series BMW in terms of units sold, but it does give younger, affluent buyers a taste of the Jaguar brand and the new direction Jaguar are going in.

Old 11-06-2016, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
@michaelodonnell123 - did you at least give it a drive? Was it the 3.0 V6? All of the R Sport models have dark interiors. Coming from an XK, I see what you mean on the materials difference, but it's not like every panel in the XK has the same quality of leather either.

I don't think the XE will ever have the level of interior you'd want. Maybe the XF would? I did not buy the XE for the interior trim, but for the outside looks, driving manners, and utility.

Because the overall interior design and materials didn't resemble a Jaguar to our eyes, we didn't even bother to give it a drive. I understand completely that the materials won't be all leather and wood like my XK, but it was the cheap plastics, layout and design that I didn't like either. It just didn't seem to flow right... and at 50K...it better flow for me to cut that check. I don't need chrome 'doo-dads' , but I do expect the materials [whatever they are] to feel premium and the layout to be spot on.

Last edited by michaelodonnell123; 11-06-2016 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11-06-2016, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by babyjag91
I find the interior of the XE more than enough for me, but I'm also a mid-twenties kid at heart that is more interested in how the car handles in the corners and how crisp the exhaust note is. The XE is definitely not designed to be the executives car.
That is where my train of thought was, albeit I am twice your age... I could've leased any of their line of cars for similar money, but XJ was too big, F Type just wasn't what I wanted at that moment (coming from Lotus), XF was nice, but I thought too plush for my taste, and the XE just "fit right" for what I want in a car for the next 3 years. If I could've ordered more bespoke trim, I would've. They could offer a 3-5K leather & trim option and I think they'd have many takers.

Anxiously waiting for Spires exhaust to come out.

Old 11-06-2016, 12:24 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
That is where my train of thought was, albeit I am twice your age... I could've leased any of their line of cars for similar money, but XJ was too big, F Type just wasn't what I wanted at that moment (coming from Lotus), XF was nice, but I thought too plush for my taste, and the XE just "fit right" for what I want in a car for the next 3 years. If I could've ordered more bespoke trim, I would've. They could offer a 3-5K leather & trim option and I think they'd have many takers.

Anxiously waiting for Spires exhaust to come out.
I actually prefer some of the plastics inside; for instance, the buttons around the touch screen. After driving an S550, it made me appreciate the fact that I didn't have to keep slamming on the screen with a finger or two trying to change from different modes, and then having to revert to the dial that I kept mistaking for my shifter

I too am waiting for the Spires exhaust. In the meantime I'm saving up for the 19 inch wheels and hopefully a warranty protected tune to try and get as close to or above 300hp

A bit off-topic, but how'd you like the Evora? I want an Elise, but at almost 6'4'' I feel like it wouldn't be comfortable at all to drive. I may fit, but some "things" might get squished up. How does the Evora compare in size inside the cabin?

Old 11-06-2016, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

It doesnt suprise me that people who love the XK interior dont like the XE. They couldnt be more different.

I had a 2011 XKR and got out of it because I was ready for something else, but if I had to identify one thing I didnt love about it (aside from the stereo), it was the interior or more to the point the centre stack, which I thought was really dated. And the overabundance of wood - it was like driving the flintstones' car until I got it wrapped. That's my opinion, a lot of people would disagree of course.

But even then, I thought that the XE interior was a little underwhelming in the black with white stitch, and yes I wholeheartedly agree that something should be done to give some pizazz to the passenger side. The car interior does come alive a bit when the ignition is on, and looks lovely at night.

It is probably a little unfortunate that Michael didnt take it for a drive. I drove to the dealer in my XKR, test drove the XE and thought that (looks and power aside) the XE was the superior car to drive, especially seating position (including the centre tunnel which I liked to be able to brace my leg against), steering, suspension, and transmission. Not that the XKR wasnt lovely, it is just that I thought the XE was a better driving car.

Last edited by BruceTheQuail; 11-06-2016 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:09 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

I think the reason why XE seems so non-Jaguar is due to it being from a new era of Jaguar. F-type, F-pace, new XF and XE are all very different from typical Jaguars in a sense that they are mostly oriented about sportiness, modern/minimalist design both inside and out and driving enjoyment.

While the Jaguars of 00's were still more luxury/grand-touring and comfort oriented. It is a new era for Jaguar, the one where it tries to be a BMW with better looks and I believe it has accomplished that task in many ways so far.

Sure there is some cost-cutting going on, sometimes even too much of it too, but on the other hand, XE is an entry-level luxury car. I am not bothered by plastic interior trim or the lack of wood. I would never spec a car with wood trim inside so It is not an issue for me.

Maybe check the XF out, I drove a new XF - S and it felt very good, albeit its interior is very similar to XE's.

Old 11-08-2016, 06:55 AM
Veteran Member

I wish the dealers would spec the cars with the carbon or wood trim for the lot. Not huge expense would benefit the overall interior.

Old 11-08-2016, 07:58 AM

I agree they should have done that and Jaguar should have also made brushed aluminum available as well. While it is an 'entry' level Luxury car, the interior should look and feel better than a 25K Kia. Currently it doesn't. I just don't understand how this got past the decision makers.

Old 11-08-2016, 08:54 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

Also, there's the engine. I's an AJ V8 with plugs where the two rear pistons should be (ya, a full sized V8 block, just open the hood and look...).

Sorry, but that just seems to be as much of a kludge as the V8 engine that Buick chopped two cylinders off of back in 1962 (that persisted as the 3800 until 2009, however...). But at least that motor's engine block was the right size.
=================================
My karma just ran over your dogma
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '08 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)

The following users liked this post:
escape (11-08-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 09:11 PM
Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

I buy a car for it's engineering, that is why I bought an XE. Knowing that the camshaft has roller bearings means more to me than a sliver of wood glued onto the dashboard or centre console. To me, that sort of thing looks cheap.

The problem with 'Gentleman's Club' Jaguar was that the company was dying. Taking on BMW, Audi and MB was the only way that Jaguar was going to survive.

It's all very well cursing the bean counters, but if Jaguar is to compete in the compact executive segment, costs are where it has the toughest job. The German manufacturers currently have massive volume advantages together with the economies of scale and purchasing power that brings. It's a price sensitive area of the market.

What I don't understand is the way Jaguar has structured its offering in the US. Whilst you do get options of putting the bigger engine and AWD in more cars in the range, you don't get the top two levels of trim - S and Portfolio. You also get fewer mix n match goodies, that go to make the car feel like your own. Maybe this exacerbates the feeling that the interior is cheap.

The following 2 users liked this post by stever_51:
anoop (11-10-2016), mrsclark (10-26-2021)
Old 11-16-2016, 11:48 AM

You are right, I agree with your points about engineering. For me, it is just the way car drives.

I also like to think that I support an "underdog" brand with my purchase. I am tired of BMW, Audi, MB. We need more brands (Jaguar, Alfa Romeo) and more competition which benefits everyone.

As for the trims. Jaguar offers R-Sport which is the top of the line in the US. That would probably compare to S trim in Europe, no?

The following users liked this post:
stever_51 (11-17-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member

I tend to only buy British or Italian cars.

There was not much else that I could afford that I really wanted. Test drove a GranTurismo S and that was lacking in some key areas. Didn't drive the Ghibli, but I figured it was more of the same.

Old 11-16-2016, 02:07 PM

What were the other options you looked at?

I think Ghiblis are a lot of show, but not enough go for the price.

I was cross shopping XE 35t with used higher performance cars such as C63AMG , E90M3, Audi S4 and Volvo V60 Polestar.
MB and BMW's were too inconvenient for MA weather + difficult to find good examples in NE regon. V60 Polestar is my type of a car, I love fast euro-wagons but it was way too expensive.

Old 11-16-2016, 02:50 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

What about the S4?

Old 11-16-2016, 03:25 PM

I think manual S4 is an amazing car. Very fast and underrated for what it is.

It's definitely faster than XE but not as fun to drive. Unless you get a manual version. That balances things out.

Old 11-16-2016, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Demetre Gvaramia
What were the other options you looked at?

I looked at mostly used cars actually. We test drove a 2011 Aston Martin Rapide, which was our favorite. Fantastic car, top of my budget, and was an awful maroon black that I couldn't warm up at that price. There is also the issue of maintenance on such a car. Local Aston dealer is not that great after dealing with them on my Lotus. There was a '13 XKR coupe that was in the picture with 35K miles. Had 20" wheels and I'd have to ship my car to the dealer and then ship that car; not ideal. The two other cars were a MB G500 (was at the Jaguar dealer that actually sparked my interest in the XE) and an Alfa 4C. The Alfa dealer hadn't transitioned closer to my house (will be next to Jaguar Sudbury with Lambo, RR, Bentley, etc). There's only a couple of German cars I'd ever buy, very small list. I am just not a German car guy. I the new Boxster S all spec'd out the paint to sample, etc... but better half put her foot down. She is not so fond of Porsche driver stereotype.

I was in a rush to buy a car, so the Alfa wasn't going to happen in time. I had a trade-in that made it more complicated. Now that the XE is leased, the next car I will have a lot more flexibility. I really like an '05+ Arnage... That or an Aston may be my next car unless Jaguar or Alfa really have something inspiring. Depends what we replace my better half's car with as well. Her S60 lease ends next January...