XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

What is the difference between 20T and 25T engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 07:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What is the difference between 20T and 25T engine?

I noticed the 20T engine cars are a few thousand cheaper than the 25T engines, what is the difference? Is the 20T just a software detune or are there differences in the iron? I see the 200hp and 250hp Ingenium petrol engines are different (Single scroll vs twin scroll turbos). Not sure on the current Ford engine.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:27 PM
Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

From what I can make out the engines are the same, just a different tune. The tailpipes are different, I have no idea about the rest of the rest of the exhaust system.

Old 01-07-2017, 02:15 PM

I just read in Wikipedia that the 147KW (same power as 20T) is a 1999cc while the 177kw (same as 25T) is 2891cc, can anyone confirm this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_XE

Has anyone driven both? I have only driven the 20T and it needed a few revs to get the most out of it, so I was hoping the 25T would have more meat at lower revs.

Old 01-07-2017, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

Hi. I dont think it is right that the 177KW has 2891cc - that would make it a 3 litre and it isnt, it is only a 2 litre.

I was told it was just a different tune but that might have been by the dealers when I test drove the XE.

I test drove the 20T in a portfolio. It was a lovely ride and I was sold on the XE, but not that engine. I thought it was a little underpowered for the car off the mark, though it was fine for most driving. Bearing in mind of course that I was driving an XKR at the time, and my wife was used to a car that was brisk from takeoff as well, coming out of a series of volvos with the 2.5 litre 5 pot turbos. So I wasnt wanting to get something that was more than 7 seconds for the 0 - 100kph sprint.

You might be able to tune the ECU to get it to the 180Kw mark or more, I'd think. It is easy enough to tune the ECU in the F type V6 to get it to the levels of the V6S and more. Usually though with ECU tuning you get smaller increases in power (say 15%) and bigger increases in torque (say 25%).

We bought the 25T. I drive it quite a bit, it is really the best handling and nicest car to drive I've experienced. I've also driven the XE S in a RWD on a track, which I thought was better still though the 25T is plenty good enough and apparently is quite fun on the track itself. After all, it is pretty much the same output as a WRX, though not AWD.

Driving the 25T in "dynamic" makes a huge difference to the lower end. In normal driving it can be a little surgey, but in dynamic the acceleration is much more immediate, especially at the lower end. If you could live with the 20T, you'd probably love the 25T.

My only complaint is the engine note which is a bit buzzy under heavy acceleration, though strangely enough it sounds gruff on the outside.

Old 01-07-2017, 05:47 PM
Received 4,176 Likes on 3,639 Posts

isn't the 20T a diesel

Old 01-07-2017, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member

the diesels are (eg) 20D, over here at least.

Old 01-07-2017, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Hi. I dont think it is right that the 177KW has 2891cc - that would make it a 3 litre and it isnt, it is only a 2 litre.

I was told it was just a different tune but that might have been by the dealers when I test drove the XE.

I test drove the 20T in a portfolio. It was a lovely ride and I was sold on the XE, but not that engine. I thought it was a little underpowered for the car off the mark, though it was fine for most driving. Bearing in mind of course that I was driving an XKR at the time, and my wife was used to a car that was brisk from takeoff as well, coming out of a series of volvos with the 2.5 litre 5 pot turbos. So I wasnt wanting to get something that was more than 7 seconds for the 0 - 100kph sprint.

You might be able to tune the ECU to get it to the 180Kw mark or more, I'd think. It is easy enough to tune the ECU in the F type V6 to get it to the levels of the V6S and more. Usually though with ECU tuning you get smaller increases in power (say 15%) and bigger increases in torque (say 25%).

We bought the 25T. I drive it quite a bit, it is really the best handling and nicest car to drive I've experienced. I've also driven the XE S in a RWD on a track, which I thought was better still though the 25T is plenty good enough and apparently is quite fun on the track itself. After all, it is pretty much the same output as a WRX, though not AWD.

Driving the 25T in "dynamic" makes a huge difference to the lower end. In normal driving it can be a little surgey, but in dynamic the acceleration is much more immediate, especially at the lower end. If you could live with the 20T, you'd probably love the 25T.

My only complaint is the engine note which is a bit buzzy under heavy acceleration, though strangely enough it sounds gruff on the outside.
It would make sense to market it as a 3 litre is it was 2.8l +like you say, which makes me wonder if we are paying a fair few 1000 extra just for a software tune???? I take it that if we got an aftermarket reflash (or plug in) that the dealer would be able to tell and void any warranty?

Old 01-08-2017, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member

You always need to be careful about the warranty, though I've done the ecu remap before on a volvo s60R with tremendous results.

I'm dealing with TMC Motorsport at the moment for an autoflash to cure the dreadful changes in my daughter's MiTo, and I have read good things about them. They have a tune for the 25T, it might be worthwhile talking to them to see if they have one for the 20T.