XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Wife was interesting in the XE, but she wants remote start!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 01:56 AM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts
Default Wife was interesting in the XE, but she wants remote start!

So my wife and I were looking at the new XE for her and she wanted to know why is it that less expensive cars offer a remote start and a Jaguar doesn't? I can't say I blame her, it is a nice feature to have on a cold winter day.
The dealer said that if we have one installed - goodbye to the warranty. And he will not install one either.

Thoughts?

Last edited by michaelodonnell123; 08-28-2016 at 02:04 AM.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:55 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

What dealership did you go to? I notice you're from NJ as well. AFAIK, XE works with the Remote app, so as long as you have a smartphone, you have remote start. I start my car from inside my place of work and set the temperature. Also gives you a GPS location, beep and flash and allows you to lock/unlock. Sounds like the dealer was BS'ing you. My dealer helped me set up the Remote app on my phone!

Old 08-28-2016, 07:35 AM
Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

The remote start from the smartphone app is only available for cars with automatic transmission, but as (I think) there are no manual transmission XEs on sale in North America that should not be an issue. There is also a remote heater which is an option that is separate to the remote start and works from the key fob but I don't think that is available as an option in the US either.

If it is any consolation, in the early months after launch many UK dealers also knew very little about the car they were selling.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123
So my wife and I were looking at the new XE for her and she wanted to know why is it that less expensive cars offer a remote start and a Jaguar doesn't? I can't say I blame her, it is a nice feature to have on a cold winter day.
The dealer said that if we have one installed - goodbye to the warranty. And he will not install one either.

Thoughts?
Dealer is wrong. Car can start with Jaguar app and is included with the car till warranty end. Was at dealer yesterday test driving an XE.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:28 AM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

Clearly we need to request another salesman next time we go there. He was looking at the key FOB for a remote start button, not knowing the phone offers an app. Thank you to all that responded.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:31 AM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Old 09-02-2016, 12:24 AM

Clearly we need to request another salesman next time we go there. He was looking at the key FOB for a remote start button, not knowing the phone offers an app. Thank you to all that responded.
I actually didn't even know about it until the salesman I dealt with said we were going to set it up I had only known about the wristband for the F-PACE.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member

Remote Start app sucks IMO. Last night was the 3rd or 4th try to start the car and it failed. App says it has contacted the car, but it never starts.

Any ideas why?

Old 03-05-2017, 11:09 AM
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Remote Start app sucks IMO. Last night was the 3rd or 4th try to start the car and it failed. App says it has contacted the car, but it never starts.

Any ideas why?
It should give you an error message stating why it didn't start. That should give you an idea.

Edit: the message disappears quickly (within couple of seconds) so you have to stare at the app constantly. Most common causes: the car is not locked, or (in my case) the windows weren't up. Or so it thought

Last edited by ololly; 03-05-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:18 PM

I noticed sometimes it won't work over WiFi, so I'll turn off WiFi and try again over my regular LTE data and it works.

Old 03-05-2017, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ololly
It should give you an error message stating why it didn't start. That should give you an idea.

Edit: the message disappears quickly (within couple of seconds) so you have to stare at the app constantly. Most common causes: the car is not locked, or (in my case) the windows weren't up. Or so it thought
No error message and doors were locked according to the application. Was 8F degrees out; the windows were up.

Old 03-05-2017, 06:25 PM

No error message and doors were locked according to the application. Was 8F degrees out; the windows were up.
For me the windows were up as well, but the message said "the window is open". I had to reset all the windows and this helped.

Here is how to do it:

This usually happens because somebody disconnected the battery and the settings for the windows were lost. In other words, the car needs to re-learn where the limits for the windows are. This is very simple to do.

Your switch has 5 positions. We'll call them:
"-2" which is the switch all the way down for automatic down
"-1" which is the switch slightly down for bringing the window down manually
"0" which is the switch just sitting on its normal position
"1" which is the switch slightly up for bringing the window up manually
"2" which is the switch all the way up for automatic up
The reset procedure is very simple:
Shut the radio off and other source of noises, you are going to be looking for a little "click"
Hold the switch of the window you wish to re-teach the limits in position "-1". Even after the window is all the way down, keep holding it and listen for a little click. When you hear it go to the next step.
Hold the switch on position "1". Again, even after the window is all the way up keep holding it and listen for a "click".
That is it! Simple enough huh?! Repeat for all windows and you are all set!

Old 03-06-2017, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member

The windows were all up and the car has not remote started on a few times with no error displayed.

I am afraid to bring to the dealer as they'll keep it for days with no loaner car. I'll give the remote app another try today to verify if there were any error message.

The app is poorly designed. If you press the start message, the screen should change to say a start request is pending or something...

Old 03-06-2017, 08:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had several "interesting" interactions with Remote App with my XE. I've found that sometimes the first time you open the app it says it has "updated" but really hasn't. When it shows the car still parked at home while I'm at work, I stop the app, completely kill it on the phone and then restart the app. Other times I've pressed the map on the opening screen and it updates in full screen mode to the current location.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member

In my use, the application is accurate on location and current car status. Trips look to be accurate as well.

Next time I want to remote start, I will try disabling wireless on the phone first. I wonder if that is what's f-ing up the remote start? App things the phone is not on cell network?

Old 03-06-2017, 09:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my use, the application is accurate on location and current car status. Trips look to be accurate as well.

Next time I want to remote start, I will try disabling wireless on the phone first. I wonder if that is what's f-ing up the remote start? App things the phone is not on cell network?
Not necessarily, the issues I have with remote start app is while I at work and I don't use the company wifi.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:32 AM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Is that the latest app version? I've gotten "can't contact the vehicle" message several times before but I'd say the app still works 8 times out of 10. Sometimes it has trouble when there is a bad wifi signal or bad reception.

They released a new version of the app a week ago or so, maybe try that one out?

As for the dealer and no loaners, I learned my lesson, I call and ask when will a loaner be available (usually week or two wait) and then I schedule the service.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:32 AM

The app is poorly designed. If you press the start message, the screen should change to say a start request is pending or something...
Hmmm... Looks like something is wrong with your app. Because after I press Start button and enter PIN it does show status "Contacting vehicle" and the "lights" around Start button start spinning. Then the little engine icon appears.

I'd remove the app and install it again. Maybe this will help

Old 03-06-2017, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ololly
Hmmm... Looks like something is wrong with your app. Because after I press Start button and enter PIN it does show status "Contacting vehicle" and the "lights" around Start button start spinning. Then the little engine icon appears.

I'd remove the app and install it again. Maybe this will help
Ok, I remember the PIN thing when it did work, but that never comes up. I'll rebooting phone first, then reinstall application. This is on an iPhone.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:06 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just to be more specific the car has to have the navigation package, without there is not infotainment and no app option.

Quick Reply: Wife was interesting in the XE, but she wants remote start!