XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

XE Jaguar - Sunroof or No Sunroof?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 02:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default XE Jaguar - Sunroof or No Sunroof?

Hi we are looking at buying the XE Jaguar but just cannot decide if it is worth getting the sunroof as when the sun shines in you can still feel heat above you but it is all about the sporty look does anyone have any thoughts or experience please. The car we have now has black out but even under the sunroof with the XE Jaguar it is a creamy mesh.
What do any forums members think of sunroof's especially with the XE Jaguar.

Thanks

biggles787

The following users liked this post:
NewLester de Rocin (01-23-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 03:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Best not to have a hole in the roof in my opinion. We do see a fair number of posts about sun roofs and water leaking into the car, although mostly older cars and not XEs which can only be two years old maximum at the moment.

Old 01-22-2017, 03:27 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Originally Posted by biggles787
Hi we are looking at buying the XE Jaguar but just cannot decide if it is worth getting the sunroof ......
Welcome to the forum biggles787,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to X760 forum for advice from members here with this model.

Graham

Old 01-22-2017, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, in the US sunroof is standard, but if it had not been, I would have deselected it. Honestly, I never got the point of a sunroof. When it's sunny, I don't want the sun in and heating up the car further. And for looking at the sky, it's only useful to the backseat passengers. But more to the point, it is another part that can break, leak, or squeak. On my other car, a Cadillac CTS, the sunroof always squeaks. Not on the XE, but then it's only a month old.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:20 AM
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Sun roofs seem to come on most cars in this class. I like the extra light in the cabin. I don't like that in order to open the glass sits outside and above the roof of the car. I live in Los Angeles and am always concerned about the cabin getting to hot inside. The XE has a tight screen that does a good job keeping the heat out. Have not had any issues with leaking etc. I don't use it much but do enjoy fresh air when driving local roads on a nice day.

NewLester de Rocin (01-23-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 11:20 AM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

It depends on where you live and how much extra it is. My car has sunroof and I rarely use it.
There are few weeks in a year when I can enjoy a sunroof. However, on those 75 degree days, it is nice to have an option of having a sunroof

However, if it costs more than 500-600$ I think it is not worth it. On XE you get a regular sunroof, not a panorama so the opening is not that large.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:34 AM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I like the light that comes in through the sunroof, even when it is closed. The car feels roomier with a "skylight."

Old 01-22-2017, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I really like the light that comes in, especially with all the dark trim and fabric in the R Sport. It does look odd when open and I rarely do open that. That said, I am big fan of glass roof cars. No roof would allow more head room though.

If I am smoking a cigar, the tilt feature is nice for the roof.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I also wanted to not have the sun roof but it was not an option here in the US. You get more head room without it and I find there is not enough room above my head with the sunroof there. I keep poking the roof with my hair if I lift it even a bit

Old 01-22-2017, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the base model, they decided to put a sunroof, at perhaps $500? And they decided to save $50 by not putting lighted vanity mirrors, to the irritation of every woman in the car.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by ahost
On the base model, they decided to put a sunroof, at perhaps $500? And they decided to save $50 by not putting lighted vanity mirrors, to the irritation of every woman in the car.
there is probably a few examples of that like putting in a useless sunroof and saving money by using cheapo headlights on the base models that would be shameful on even a KIA.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

I've had the sunroof in 2 XFs and now in my missus' XE. I've also got the pano roof in the F Type which I actually prefer even though it doesnt open.

I had a problem with my first XF when the roof cracked. It was a known issue with the cars with sunroofs. Hopefully they learned their lesson. I have never had a problem with the sunroof leaking in any car I've owned.

The XE sunroof is nice enough but you do get heat through it when it is hot and the screen is open. Realistically, you can only have the screen open when it is temperate. Ours was cracked when it was hit by a rock thrown up by a truck, but then if it wasnt there it would have been a big ding in the roof so I cant hold that against it.

The glass slides up rather than inside the roof, so it looks odd when it is open. That and that Jag persist with a little wind deflector that pops up but it looks like it is made from offcuts left on the factory floor. It does a good job though because the sound of the air thumping into the car is insane, if you hold the deflector down.

Personally I'd rather have it than not, but I wouldnt pay much extra for it.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

I like to have a sunroof but I don't like my XE's sunroof. The shade/blind is transparent and I prefer a solid shade. And the sunroof itself doesn't open much and on the outside it looks like one of those Lincoln cars with the huge long glass open on the roof.

mosesbotbol (01-23-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 03:20 PM
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

And my answer would have to be, Yes, I would very much consider the sunroof (technically a moonroof) as essential to this kind of car, and worth paying the extra cost for it.

The personal mindset of the driver is important here, so let me explain mine:

I have never owned a car with a sunroof or moonroof before. But I have always been an advocate of driving under different sensualist conditions. Driving in the snow is a condition I enjoy, Driving through a heavy thunderstorm, and the few minutes right after the storm has passed and you pop a window open. Driving cool in summer with AC and quiet music playing, Driving in summertime heat with enough windows open to create a vortex in the cabin as you drive on the highway.
And they can't all be just ordered off the menu whenever I want... I have to wait for each season, and wait for the next surprise opportunity to drive in each condition.

The first business trip I ever rented a car with a sunroof and used it, the air pressure and the sound were unlike anything I could experience using just four windows.
So the arguments that other drivers may make, that I'd buy it and only use it 7% of the time, or it introduces hot sun on my neck, or it's windy and noisier than the door-windows... are all the reasons why I WANTED a sunroof.

I doubt that many drivers treat the sunroof with the respect and upkeep that any soft-top or convertible hood gets---do they open it to inspect it every two weeks, clean out the debris from the roofwell (there is LOTS of debris trying to collect in there), polish the paint around it, wipe the rubber seals with an inexpensive rubber cleaner/conditioner?
Since they don't USE it every day, many drivers probably give it less attention than they ought to, and I believe that may be part of the age/leaking problem.

The newer cars seem to have a considerably different design-set for their sunroofs (multiple gaskets, hidden water channels) and that may have solved the issue with sunroofs that our dads used to have.

But most of all, I like the fact that the XE has treated this panel to operate the way some of us argue a "true moonroof" should operate.
Like BigCat09, I too originally was looking forward to (and specifically wanted) a feeling of FULL intimacy when the roof and sunblind are shut--I wanted it to feel like a car with no moonroof at all when I'm not using it.
But I was surprised during my first night-drive that THROUGH the closed glass and closed blind, some of the streetlights catch your eye and announce themselves above the moonroof. Not every light, just some of them. My own garage light glows through the roof as I reverse inside and turn off the engine. And to my surprise, I LOVE IT. I could never have anticipated that effect. It's never intrusive, never like a flashlight shining in, but warm incandescent-looking objects that my passengers look up and smile at sometimes. Quite an experience.

I can "layer" the effect, and open the darn sunblind at night if I want, because the glass is green-tinted (nearly matches the green tint of the mirrors when they auto-dim at night). I can park and shut off touch-screen, and watch the rain blopping on the moonroof, day or night.

...Just so you know, it was wintertime here by the time I first started driving my XE, so I haven't even driven with the moonroof actually OPEN yet! I've only operated it to do the biweekly upkeep I described above.

Until Spring, the world doesn't even know the car HAS any sunroof. From the outside the glass doesn't have a raised seal or any rounded corners, so it morphs flat against the painted rooflines---if you have any color other than white, red, or silver, people don't seem to easily read it as "a sunroof". Brilliant.

And for those of you who are fixated on bragging to the world without looking like you're bragging, the first time you see the XE exterior shape with the moonroof fully-extended,.. your mouth will just drop open like a brick.

Last edited by NewLester de Rocin; 01-23-2017 at 03:56 PM.
booklaw1 (01-23-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by NewLester de Rocin
And my answer would have to be, Yes, I would very much consider the sunroof (technically a moonroof) as essential to this kind of car, and worth paying the extra cost for it.

The personal mindset of the driver is important here, so let me explain mine:

I have never owned a car with a sunroof or moonroof before. But I have always been an advocate of driving under different sensualist conditions. Driving in the snow is a condition I enjoy, Driving through a heavy thunderstorm, and the few minutes right after the storm has passed and you pop a window open. Driving cool in summer with AC and quiet music playing, Driving in summertime heat with enough windows open to create a vortex in the cabin as you drive on the highway.
And they can't all be just ordered off the menu whenever I want... I have to wait for each season, and wait for the next surprise opportunity to drive in each condition.

The first business trip I ever rented a car with a sunroof and used it, the air pressure and the sound were unlike anything I could experience using just four windows.
So the arguments that other drivers may make, that I'd buy it and only use it 7% of the time, or it introduces hot sun on my neck, or it's windy and noisier than the door-windows... are all the reasons why I WANTED a sunroof.

I doubt that many drivers treat the sunroof with the respect and upkeep that any soft-top or convertible hood gets---do they open it to inspect it every two weeks, clean out the debris from the roofwell (there is LOTS of debris trying to collect in there), polish the paint around it, wipe the rubber seals with an inexpensive rubber cleaner/conditioner?
Since they don't USE it every day, many drivers probably give it less attention than they ought to, and I believe that may be part of the age/leaking problem.

The newer cars seem to have a considerably different design-set for their sunroofs (multiple gaskets, hidden water channels) and that may have solved the issue with sunroofs that our dads used to have.

But most of all, I like the fact that the XE has treated this panel to operate the way some of us argue a "true moonroof" should operate.
Like BigCat09, I too originally was looking forward to (and specifically wanted) a feeling of FULL intimacy when the roof and sunblind are shut--I wanted it to feel like a car with no moonroof at all when I'm not using it.
But I was surprised during my first night-drive that THROUGH the closed glass and closed blind, some of the streetlights catch your eye and announce themselves above the moonroof. Not every light, just some of them. My own garage light glows through the roof as I reverse inside and turn off the engine. And to my surprise, I LOVE IT. I could never have anticipated that effect. It's never intrusive, never like a flashlight shining in, but warm incandescent-looking objects that my passengers look up and smile at sometimes. Quite an experience.

I can "layer" the effect, and open the darn sunblind at night if I want, because the glass is green-tinted (nearly matches the green tint of the mirrors when they auto-dim at night). I can park and shut off touch-screen, and watch the rain blopping on the moonroof, day or night.

...Just so you know, it was wintertime here by the time I first started driving my XE, so I haven't even driven with the moonroof actually OPEN yet! I've only operated it to do the biweekly upkeep I described above.

Until Spring, the world doesn't even know the car HAS any sunroof. From the outside the glass doesn't have a raised seal or any rounded corners, so it morphs flat against the painted rooflines---if you have any color other than white, red, or silver, people don't seem to easily read it as "a sunroof". Brilliant.

And for those of you who are fixated on bragging to the world without looking like you're bragging, the first time you see the XE exterior shape with the moonroof fully-extended,.. your mouth will just drop open like a brick.
You are meant to write love poems about sunroofs.......

NewLester de Rocin (01-24-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 08:34 AM
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

LOL!!

Thanks for the poetry comment. But I'm serious.
Lots of owners of cars here where I live, "preach" that they love driving, or "claim" they love cars... But you watch them on the road and can tell their attention is not in the drive at all----it's elsewhere, busy with a phone, checking the watch because their late again, yelling at the kids or their wives, or taking out their work frustrations on the other work-frustrated drivers around them.

A few of us REALLY love driving. Driving ANYTHING, a rent a van, a Yugo, our first Mustang convertible down a Maui coastal road, a black Toyota through a 17-minute thunderstorm with ground-lightning all around the highway. First cruise-control car, first sunroof, first SUV rental... all poetry, if you truly like driving.

...And then the first moment some muppet in his car snares your car into his accident, it temporarily cripples your enthusiasm.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by NewLester de Rocin
LOL!!

Thanks for the poetry comment. But I'm serious.
Lots of owners of cars here where I live, "preach" that they love driving, or "claim" they love cars... But you watch them on the road and can tell their attention is not in the drive at all----it's elsewhere, busy with a phone, checking the watch because their late again, yelling at the kids or their wives, or taking out their work frustrations on the other work-frustrated drivers around them.

A few of us REALLY love driving. Driving ANYTHING, a rent a van, a Yugo, our first Mustang convertible down a Maui coastal road, a black Toyota through a 17-minute thunderstorm with ground-lightning all around the highway. First cruise-control car, first sunroof, first SUV rental... all poetry, if you truly like driving.

...And then the first moment some muppet in his car snares your car into his accident, it temporarily cripples your enthusiasm.
haha, I guess I am not one of those that love driving just need a car to get me where I am going, although I was bored to death with my Elantra and this Jag did return some driving joy for me so far.