XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

XE loaner

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 08:03 AM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default XE loaner

Dropped our F Type off for service and got an XE 35t for a loaner car. I am really digging this car. The build quality (fit and finish) are excellent and the ride quality/performance are superb.

Nice ride.

The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (12-16-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 03:26 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Glad you like it.
I agree with performance and interior. Lots of people hate the interior design and fit&finish, I however, have no issues with it. I think it looks minimalist and modern.

Old 12-16-2016, 03:35 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I love the exterior of the XE, and I'm reasonably happy with the interior... I just wish the back seat and the trunk (boot?) were more spacious.

Old 12-16-2016, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Demetre Gvaramia
Glad you like it.
I agree with performance and interior. Lots of people hate the interior design and fit&finish, I however, have no issues with it. I think it looks minimalist and modern.
I also really like the interior of the XE. It was one of the things that made us decide to get the car. However, I do wish they could have replaced some of the black shiny plastic with superior materials -- Dark wood, carbon fiber, metal?

Old 12-16-2016, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by ahost
I also really like the interior of the XE. It was one of the things that made us decide to get the car. However, I do wish they could have replaced some of the black shiny plastic with superior materials -- Dark wood, carbon fiber, metal?
Yes, that piano black insert should be the worst part of XE's interior. I would be happy to pay premium and have an aluminum insert...

Old 12-17-2016, 07:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I don't like the aluminum trim and door & window buttons are not as intuitively placed as previous Jags. That being said, I like the interior over all considering its price point.

Old 12-17-2016, 10:51 PM
Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by CW3SF
Dropped our F Type off for service and got an XE 35t for a loaner car. I am really digging this car. The build quality (fit and finish) are excellent and the ride quality/performance are superb.

Nice ride.

Thanks for the comparison.. I'm curious.. how do you compare the overall handling/fun factor between the two? I still occasionally lust after an F-Type S..but the cost differential..yikes...I'm wondering if the difference in handling is a big as the price difference. I have My 35T tuned up to Ftype S HP specs.
Cheers
CRS

Old 12-18-2016, 12:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

I've got the f type S and my missus the XE 25T. I've driven the XE S on the track (which has the 35T engine) and it is a cut above the 25T which can be a bit "surgey".

It is hard to say what is better to drive between the XE and the F Type. The F type is more tail happy, so around the track I got far more out of the XE S than I did out of the F Type R I drove that day.

The F Type S is quicker than the XE S (slightly different tune) and I would say a tiny bit more fun to drive because it is a touch more of a handful, whereas the XE is exactly where you want it to be, when you want it to be there. I also think that the transmission suits the slightly more powerful engine better, and the engine note the the F Type is much better for the bogan (redneck) in me. The steering is about the same though the XE is better on twisty roads, I think - at my skill level. The suspension in the XE is slightly better, and the seats more supple.

Personally, I think the XE is the better car to drive all round, the F Type more fun. If my F Type rode as nicely as the XE, it would be a perfect car. Of course, the F Type looks so good that for a showoff like me it puts it ahead by a nose, though I love the looks of the XE too.

The following 3 users liked this post by BruceTheQuail:
CRS 123 (12-18-2016), Fair2 (12-20-2016), mosesbotbol (12-18-2016)
Old 12-18-2016, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
I've got the f type S and my missus the XE 25T. I've driven the XE S on the track (which has the 35T engine) and it is a cut above the 25T which can be a bit "surgey".

It is hard to say what is better to drive between the XE and the F Type. The F type is more tail happy, so around the track I got far more out of the XE S than I did out of the F Type R I drove that day.

The F Type S is quicker than the XE S (slightly different tune) and I would say a tiny bit more fun to drive because it is a touch more of a handful, whereas the XE is exactly where you want it to be, when you want it to be there. I also think that the transmission suits the slightly more powerful engine better, and the engine note the the F Type is much better for the bogan (redneck) in me. The steering is about the same though the XE is better on twisty roads, I think - at my skill level. The suspension in the XE is slightly better, and the seats more supple.

Personally, I think the XE is the better car to drive all round, the F Type more fun. If my F Type rode as nicely as the XE, it would be a perfect car. Of course, the F Type looks so good that for a showoff like me it puts it ahead by a nose, though I love the looks of the XE too.
Thank you for a great comparison. Well...I'll just have to win the lottery and have both cars I have to admit that the XE 35 T really amazes me with its handling....just when I think it's going to get loose, it works its suspension magic and tightens things up. I'm learning to trust it more and more. I also agree with you on the F Type exhaust note being a bit more satisfying. I'm hoping that a good third party alternative for my XE will be available soon. I tried the Quicksilver, and the drone in the cabin almost made my head explode. Spires says they have a stage one and two system coming out soon, but they too are working on taming the drone with the V6.
Cheers
CRS

Old 12-18-2016, 07:33 AM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CRS 123
Thanks for the comparison.. I'm curious.. how do you compare the overall handling/fun factor between the two? I still occasionally lust after an F-Type S..but the cost differential..yikes...I'm wondering if the difference in handling is a big as the price difference. I have My 35T tuned up to Ftype S HP specs.
Cheers
CRS
Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail

I agree with this completely. The F Type S has the edge in looks and exhaust note. The XE definitely has the edge in ride quality and comfort. The XE is very capable and yet refined.

CRS 123 (12-18-2016)
Old 12-18-2016, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member

I was told that the 8 speed transmission makes removing the drone difficult; the car is more often in the drone range.

CRS 123 (12-18-2016)
Old 12-18-2016, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I was told that the 8 speed transmission makes removing the drone difficult; the car is more often in the drone range.
Yeah, that drone.... It feels like the engine is begging for a downshift sometimes.

I drive in the city a lot and through traffic, in Normal mode, I often see transmission use 5th and 6th gears instead of 3rd and 4th. I understand this helps the fuel economy but sometimes it almost bogs down the engine. The revs often drop to 1000-1200rpm.

If the would have calibrated it in a way to keep revs in 1500-1700 range, it would feel much zippier through traffic.

CRS 123 (12-18-2016)
Old 12-18-2016, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

I always felt my XE looks like a mix of the BMW and Mazda 6.......

Old 12-18-2016, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Demetre Gvaramia
Yeah, that drone.... It feels like the engine is begging for a downshift sometimes.

I drive in the city a lot and through traffic, in Normal mode, I often see transmission use 5th and 6th gears instead of 3rd and 4th. I understand this helps the fuel economy but sometimes it almost bogs down the engine. The revs often drop to 1000-1200rpm.

If the would have calibrated it in a way to keep revs in 1500-1700 range, it would feel much zippier through traffic.
I 100% agree with both of you. I find myself using the paddles to downshift to 3 or 4th gear around the city. I'm wondering if there is a gearbox remap solution to this? "Begging for a downshift" describes it well. Sport mode helps, but it's not a perfect solution for that city type driving. I wish there was a "driving in the city non bog down mode"

Old 12-18-2016, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
This makes allot of sense. Maybe someone could clone the F Type exhaust for the XE :-)

Old 12-28-2016, 03:05 PM
Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I was able to try out the XE back in March at a Jaguar promo event where we were able to drive them out on the street and also on a small autocross course. I found the XE Sport to be very toss-able and fun. It reminded me of my 2001 BMW 330CI (not convertible) back in the day. It felt nimble and light on its feet. I am bringing my F-type in for some warranty repairs this weekend and I have a feeling that I'll have the XE as a loaner to report more impressions.

CRS 123 (12-29-2016)
Old 01-04-2017, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

My XE is in for updates and they gave me a Disco Sport and I had to give it back as I felt it was very poor and missed my XE. They gave me a Evoque and I have to say even though it looks ugly on the outside the inside is very nice and drives great! I like the fit and finish better than my XE and this Evoque only has a few option in it and it kicks ***! My only complaint is I can't see crap out the windshield at night due to the heated windshield lines deflecting light, that is 1 option I would never get in any car now that I seen it first hand.

Old 01-04-2017, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by BigCat09
My XE is in for updates and they gave me a Disco Sport and I had to give it back as I felt it was very poor and missed my XE. They gave me a Evoque and I have to say even though it looks ugly on the outside the inside is very nice and drives great! I like the fit and finish better than my XE and this Evoque only has a few option in it and it kicks ***! My only complaint is I can't see crap out the windshield at night due to the heated windshield lines deflecting light, that is 1 option I would never get in any car now that I seen it first hand.
My dealer always gives me Evoque for a loaner. They do drive surprisingly well and feel nimble for a crossover/SUV.

What about that engine though? It has one of the worst turbo lag I've ever experienced. From a dead stop at full throttle, it takes at least 2 seconds for it to spool up...

Old 01-05-2017, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BigCat09
My only complaint is I can't see crap out the windshield at night due to the heated windshield lines deflecting light, that is 1 option I would never get in any car now that I seen it first hand.

Really? This is my 2nd car with heated windshield and it is a must've have option for me. I love it and never experienced any vision impairment; night or day.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:00 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

>it is a must've have option for me.

Me too, my X-Type had it my and S-Type doesn't (originally from LA, who'd figure...), I miss it every icy morning.

This morning was particularly bad. It was below freezing but dry so no frost on the outside of the windshield. However, when I got in and started to drive my windshield frosted over with the water vapor from my breathing. Right as I turned into the direction of the rising sun!!!

Instant opaque windshield. I had to immediately pull over without being able to see the side of the street and wait until the defroster started up (after the engine had warmed up a bit) and the frost slowly disappeared.

==================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons
2015 JCNA National Slalom Champion Class M
Current: '08 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)
Past: '05 X-Type 3.0/auto Jaguar Racing Green