XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

XE-S in US??

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 11:50 AM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Some misinformation going in this thread in my opinion...

The brakes between the S and R-Sport 35t are identical (other than being painted and having a red plastic cover on the S), as are the suspension if you fit the adaptive dynamics option to the 35t.

The exhaust on the XE 35t does sound just like the ones in those video to my ear. But you really cannot tell it sounds like that while sitting in the car. You need to have someone else drive it hard while you stand outside, or go to a tunnel/parking garage with the windows down and drive it hard. You will see...

I have seen no indication that the exhaust parts on the 35t and S are different at all, and I find it hard to believe that JLR would manufacture a bespoke exhaust for the S in Europe since this would cost them extra unneeded money.

JLR has done an exceptional job at making the interior of the XE very quiet and this also has the effect of making our exhausts sound tamer than they really are.

Old 01-07-2017, 11:54 AM

I'll also add that crackles and the pops when bouncing off the limiter will increase as the exhaust gets broken in... there may be some engine management software preventing this while in the first few thousand miles. I've got over 6k miles on my XE and there are definitely occasional crackles when driving hard (though not as prominent as the F-type), and definitely every time you really bounce the rev limiter it unleashes a furry of pops. I don't recall them being there when I first picked up the car.

cheers

Old 01-07-2017, 12:23 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Do you have a specific source that states that the brakes are the same? I'd really like to know what is the definite answer

XE-S has Brembo calipers while XE 35t does not. The majority of XE-S reviews have praised its brakes while that is not the case with US spec cars. Several major publications complained about their performance.

I've seen a lot of tests and XE-S and XE 35T (even AWD which is heavier) have comparable stopping distances.

As for the exhaust, different regulations and emission standards might have played a role. I have listened to my car from outside and while it sounds good, it does not have the same type of growl on low revs as XE-S. But again, it might be just my perception of sound.

Old 01-07-2017, 03:34 PM

My source that the brakes are the same would be the official catalog from JLR UK for the XE... the only difference listed is the Red paint on the S (see picture below). On my US XE 35t build sheet, they specifically listed "Less painted calipers" as an option, so I assume the calipers themselves are the same but it is the paint that has been left out. Taken together I think its safe to assume the brakes are the same.

I've also highlighted where it states the suspension are the same ("Sports Suspension) for XE-S and XE R-Sport if adaptive dynamics (or ASR for AWD models) is fitted.

Along the same lines, to my knowledge Topix only has one exhaust system listed for the 3.0L SC V6 XE, which I've also attached a photo of.

So I don't have 100% definitive proof of my claims, I'm only stating what the evidence would suggest: both the brakes and the exhaust are identical b/t the 35t RWD and XE-S... maybe someone with more knowledge or full access to Topix will back me up/refute this. Part numbers would be helpful.

Old 01-07-2017, 03:59 PM

Also check out this data from car and driver, which lists the interior sound level for the XE-S and for the XE 35t R-Sport AWD.

S/35t
Idle: 38/39 dBA
WOT: 78/78 dBA
70-MPH cruising: 68/71dBA

At WOT both are identical at 78 dBA in the cabin, which also suggests the exhausts are the same.

S:
http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...mance-data.pdf

35t AWD:
http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...nitial2017.pdf

The following users liked this post:
jellyy (01-11-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 05:20 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

I don't know where this Brembo idea comes from. Jaguar has not used Brembo brakes since 2005... there are no Brembo's available on the XE-S, not on any other Jag model either...

Old 01-07-2017, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Cambo
I don't know where this Brembo idea comes from. Jaguar has not used Brembo brakes since 2005... there are no Brembo's available on the XE-S, not on any other Jag model either...

it was confusing to me as well. Thanks Cambo.

Old 01-07-2017, 05:49 PM

My mistake. For some reason, I remembered XE-S calipers saying Brembo underneath the "Jaguar" marking.

Also, to my knowledge Jaguar F-Type Carbon Ceramic brakes are made by Brembo.

alphakinase
Thanks for the information, very helpful!
I am planning to take a video of similar flyby shots as in XE-S videos and compare them side by side. XE-S noise level and 35T's are very close and so are their braking distances. You're most probably right and they are either the same.

My primary concern is with POT, at lower revs between those two models.

My opinion is not going to change, though. Either way, Jaguar could have made the exhaust better suited to car's sporting character or better yet, add active exhaust.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Demetre Gvaramia
Also, to my knowledge Jaguar F-Type Carbon Ceramic brakes are made by Brembo.
Yes the Carbon Ceramics are Brembo's, but I thought we were talking about the "normal" brakes, not the CC's...

Old 01-07-2017, 06:26 PM

Yes the Carbon Ceramics are Brembo's, but I thought we were talking about the "normal" brakes, not the CC's...
Right, so since XE has no Brembos it should be that XE-S and 35T have the same brakes. Case solved.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:24 PM

Yes, that's it.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I haven't actually heard what my car sounds like from the outside while on full throttle... Maybe it is cool sounding? Cars are so well insulated that it is hard tell sometimes.

If the GrandTurismo S let more sound into the car, I may've bought that instead of the XE...

Old 01-08-2017, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I haven't actually heard what my car sounds like from the outside while on full throttle... Maybe it is cool sounding? Cars are so well insulated that it is hard tell sometimes.

If the GrandTurismo S let more sound into the car, I may've bought that instead of the XE...
Isn't that what the sunroof is for?

Old 01-08-2017, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by alphakinase
Isn't that what the sunroof is for?
No sunroof on the GranTurismo and I don't find much use opening the sunroof on the XE. Looks weird with it open too from the outside. I love the amount of light it lets in. Make a dark interior not so dark.

Old 01-09-2017, 04:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone thank you so much for all the replies, answers, and infos.

I've also posted this thread to different xe forums and seems like they are actually the same cars. I just don't know why exterior and the interior is different. I would love to have euro spec red interiors...

For now I'm leaning towards to wait for 2018 xe. Even though my 335i lease will end soon, I can stick with ND miata for few months. Does anyone know upcoming changes for my2018 xe?

Last edited by jellyy; 01-09-2017 at 07:25 AM.