XF (X260) 2015 onwards

2016 XF AWD engine coarseness

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 11:22 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2016 XF AWD engine coarseness

Only had my new 2016 XF AWD Prestige a week. it seems when I am driving it fairly easily and accelerating through 30 to say 45 mph I feel a coarseness in the steering wheel. If I drive it off the line more aggressively it takes off and I don't feel anything unusual. Is this common with this 340HP Supercharged engine. All seems normal otherwise and it isn't the wheels or driveline, just the engine coarseness under about 45 to 50 and up mph.
I am used to my BMW 528i which which accelerated at any speed smoothly without feeling the buzziness/coarseness. Any ideas?
AL

Old 10-10-2016, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 242 Posts

I don't notice anything but smooth acceleration at any speed. What do you mean you feel it in the steering wheel? Vibration?

Old 10-10-2016, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by mleskovar
I don't notice anything but smooth acceleration at any speed. What do you mean you feel it in the steering wheel? Vibration?
The vehicle overall is great. The problem I have with it is when driving off down the road at a slowish pace. The only feeling I should get in my hands is some road feedback which is normal. What I get is extra brrrrr vibration at certain speeds which go away with resolutely pressing the gas pedal. If I drive off like many do sort of aggressively the engine comes alive and really moves! But I live in a quiet community where I usually drive around town at about 30 to 40 mph which means I will get this feedback from maybe the engine which seems to be straining because the 8 spd txn is perhaps in too high a gear. I am going to see the dealer asap. Otherwise what a terrific car. I am going to drive it around a bit using the paddle shifters to try and isolate these coarse feelings from somewhere.
Thanks for your reply.
AL

Old 10-10-2016, 03:39 PM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

Sounds like that horrible 'Engine Deactivation' option? Maybe turn that off.

Old 10-10-2016, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123
Sounds like that horrible 'Engine Deactivation' option? Maybe turn that off.
The Start/Stop function only activates when the car is stopped and your foot is on the brake pedal.

Old 10-10-2016, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BCJAG
..I am going to drive it around a bit using the paddle shifters to try and isolate these coarse feelings from somewhere....
Good idea.When you're in S mode the gear shows up on the screen. You'll want to be able to duplicate the problem for the service advisor.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:32 AM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BCJAG
The vehicle overall is great. The problem I have with it is when driving off down the road at a slowish pace. The only feeling I should get in my hands is some road feedback which is normal. What I get is extra brrrrr vibration at certain speeds which go away with resolutely pressing the gas pedal. If I drive off like many do sort of aggressively the engine comes alive and really moves! But I live in a quiet community where I usually drive around town at about 30 to 40 mph which means I will get this feedback from maybe the engine which seems to be straining because the 8 spd txn is perhaps in too high a gear. I am going to see the dealer asap. Otherwise what a terrific car. I am going to drive it around a bit using the paddle shifters to try and isolate these coarse feelings from somewhere.
Thanks for your reply.
AL
Do you have the lane keeping assist (LKA) turned on? There are two settings for the LKA plus off. One is to vibrate the wheel when the system determines you are not between the lines and the other is steering assist which actually nudges the wheel in the direction you should move to remain between the lines.

The system is not active until about 30 MPH so that could well explain what it is. No engine problem, just technology trying to run your driving life. I rather like it but it is a pain on some roads. The criteria is that lanes are supposed to be 8 feet wide for it to work and it usually does well even in construction areas where the lanes are narrower. Once in a while though it activates and can scare the devil out of you if you are in tight lanes on a freeway!

Old 10-15-2016, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Magnumforc
Do you have the lane keeping assist (LKA) turned on? There are two settings for the LKA plus off. One is to vibrate the wheel when the system determines you are not between the lines and the other is steering assist which actually nudges the wheel in the direction you should move to remain between the lines.

The system is not active until about 30 MPH so that could well explain what it is. No engine problem, just technology trying to run your driving life. I rather like it but it is a pain on some roads. The criteria is that lanes are supposed to be 8 feet wide for it to work and it usually does well even in construction areas where the lanes are narrower. Once in a while though it activates and can scare the devil out of you if you are in tight lanes on a freeway!
Thanks. I will turn it off and see what happens I have found that with the DYNAMIC(checkered flag) setting the txn changes up after more revs and this seems to stop the coarseness/feeling like it is in too high a gear. It also sends me into my seat and the car takes off quickly if I use the same pedal pressure. I am learning to appreciate a completely different auto from the other ones which seem much more of a compromise in driving...
AL

Old 10-20-2016, 09:04 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have noticed the same thing, except mostly at lower speeds. It's like the transmission is confused. The engine almost feels like the old cars where you think it's going to cut off. I am going for my first annual service in a month or two and I am going to ask the dealer to look at it.

Old 10-20-2016, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by uab9253
I have noticed the same thing, except mostly at lower speeds. It's like the transmission is confused. The engine almost feels like the old cars where you think it's going to cut off. I am going for my first annual service in a month or two and I am going to ask the dealer to look at it.
Yes.Same as mine. I did mention that on the Dynamic setting it seems to be ok and that is due to the longer revving curve in each gear. I am surprised that other owners don't experience the same thing. Let me know how you make out at the dealer. tks
AL